need suggestion for how to take correct grip

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
shradhapn

need suggestion for how to take correct grip

Post by shradhapn »

i have morini 162E long barrel.i am national shooter in india.i am faing a problem in grip.
when i ups my hand after taking grip it becomes loose and then in that condition i automatically increses my pressure on grip specially i increase middle finger and little short finger pressure.due to this mostly my hand moves left or some time to the right while squizzinq the trigger.
please give me suggesstion.
shradha
James Hurr

Post by James Hurr »

Its hard to diagnose by email, but it sounds like the grip is too small and not filling the palm of your hand properly.
Also there may be too much contact under your first knuckles and not enough with your fingers and heel.
It could also be the heel rest is adjusted too tight, which is a common mistake.

It could also be your fingers wrapping too far around, or not far enough.

With a properly fitted grip it should be possible to increase your grip force (a bit anyway) and not have the gun move at all.
You should also be able to yank the trigger and not have the gun move wildly to one side or the other.

Try it with some of your friends guns, take a grip and aim, then increase your grip force. All being well nothing should move. If you find one which works then compare it with your own.

Some time I'll publish my 'Making your own grips' series...
Denis

Post by Denis »

Looking forward to your "Grip Making" series James.
James Hurr

Grip fault

Post by James Hurr »

Come to think of it:

"when i ups my hand after taking grip it becomes loose "

This would suggest the grip is indeed too small, just not long enough front to back, and there is not enough support at the back between the thumb and trigger finger. When its hanging off your fingers its ok, when you lift it the weight is transferred to the back of your hand where the problem is.

Forget the heel rest, take it off completely. It should be possible to shoot without it. If your hand slides around without it then there is a basic problem with the grip. Not too much weight should be taken by the heel rest, it should mostly be by the meat of your hand.

I found the grips on my Walther LP201 too small and had the same kind of problems. Tightening the heel rest kind of cured it but it was wrong.

Another thing to try is when you take up the grip:

1. Spread your thumb and trigger finger as far apart as possible.
2. PUSH the pistol into your hand along the axis of the barrel.
3. Let your fingers relax around the grip

If your fingers wrap right around and hit the opposite side of the grip then its probably too small.

If not then you will now have some tension in your hand which will hold the pistol in.

If the pistol slides around when your hand contacts the rear of the grip then some remodelling is needed there.
It should be possible to hold the pistol in the aim and then lean into a wall with the barrel. The pistol should still not slide around (better not to try this with a fragile air pistol, air cylinder etc)

Grip making series, its going to be a while...
I can make grips for myself fine, next step is to try making for others, which is much harder.
Andy M

Post by Andy M »

I've no claim to be an expert, but using a standard grip as a template for the basic design I had no real problems in shaping a far better grip for my (non standard shape) hand. I'd recommend it as an exercise in exploring your personal grip requirements & the assumptions that you've made about the grip that your pistol came with.

The main challenges were - buying a router to "hollow out" the gun side of the basic grip shape & finding the right places for the screw holes. I did the majority of the work with a chisel & a dremel.

I found that as I shaped the grip there were changes in the relations of the various parts of the grip that meant that I needed to use filler to build up some areas - mind you I also used it for creating registration areas to orientate my hand repeatably so I don't think that the cosmetic difference is significant.

End result - a grip that suits me & feels wrong to pretty much everyone else. I'm happy.