The nationals, malfunctions and knowing the rules.

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
PETE S

The nationals, malfunctions and knowing the rules.

Post by PETE S »

This year, my trip to the USAS Nationals was my most enjoyable though not most successful for score. One highlight was the very start of the Men’s Air pistol match at 9AM Friday. Bill Wayda gave the command to “Load” and then “Start”. One hour and 45 minutes for unlimited sighters and 60 record shots.

I checked my grip, position and raised the Pardini K2s to just above the target. As lowered to pistol onto the target, I squeezed the trigger and “puff.” The discharge did not sound quite right. I checked the monitor to see a “0” in the score. Ok, I figure a fluke and I tried again. This time I was more careful. After all, the air pistol had performed flawlessly the day before in the official training. Again, I had a strange puff sound as I squeezed the trigger and again a zero was displayed.

I raised my hand to gain the attention of a range officer and I claimed a malfunction. I asked if I could change cylinders though the cylinder appeared to be full. I was given permission to leave the range to change the cylinder and consult with Scott Pilkington.

Scott and I test fired the pistol a few times, went out side the range and worked on some more test firing. Eventually, the air pistol started to work. Scott figured the regulator had stuck and was now functioning. So back into the range I went and continued the match. As I had claimed a malfunction, and it had been allowed, I would have been given additional time.

Part of my mental preparation was a goal to remember that what ever happened, I was going to focus on my technique and continue to shoot well. Frustration was not going to be part of my experience. The goal paid off. Fortunately, the time was not needed and the Pardini K2 continued to work better than the shooter.

The second day, I was ready. While still in the parking lot, I got the pistol out and carefully fired about ten shots of air into the asphalt. Again, Bill Wayda gave the Start command. Today, the first attempt did not even register a score at all. I heard the weak sounding Puff. I tried another shot and at least it was a “0”. Frustration was almost a part of the match. I turned around and saw the chief range officer. He was watching me and signaled me to try a few shots of gas into the ground. Fortunately, this worked, my next sighter shot at the target was low 4.7 and then a high 9. I was in business.

I heard later that many shooters in that part of the range stopped shooting momentarily trying to figure out who was doing the rapid firing. I never noticed.

Again, the Pardini K2 functioned better than I.

I received various suggestions like “boat anchor” and: “Well, Pete, I don’t want to create questions in your mind about the quality of your equipment but…”

I have had the Pardini k2 for over four years. I purchased it used from Pilkington and never had had a problem before this.

The good news is that I had spent some time reading the rule book and knew the procedures. And fortunately, I had myself prepared for some adversity. I also had the comfort of knowing I had a backup air pistol in the form of a Steyr LP-5 in the car sighted in and ready to go. But I had done most of my recent training with the Pardini K2 so it would be a bit of a change.

I am now waiting for my new air pistol.

Does anyone know exactly what happened at the men’s free pistol finals? I heard about a malfunction there as well.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Pete:

Great preparation and good "recovery" technique- sorry about your malfunction. Lesson learned here for all- (far be it from me to ever make any disparaging remarks about your equipment =8^). IIRC, Mark Kelley had a regulator failure identical to yours in the middle of the 2004 Crosman Grand Prix in Toronto. Enjoy your new Morini (but keep the Steyr handy).

As to yoru second point, the USAS website presser notes that Daryl Szarenski had a free pistol issue and had to use a borrowed gun for the finals. Anyone have additional info?

Steve "Saving My Pennies For A Backup Gun" Swartz

Post by Guest »

He was attempting to adjust/fix his trigger during the prep period. He gave up on it and had to get a Toz from a Teammate. I was unable to hear exactly what he said his problem was. His first shot in sighters was a hit on the frame. I believe that was followed by a two. If memory serves I don't think he shot over a six in sighters. Perhaps the AMU might be wise to get him a backup pistol.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Was it his Morini or one of the AMU FrankenToz guns?

If he was trying to "adjust" the trigger, must have been a Toz action?

Steve