asking Morini 162E owners about the rear sight

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
XINFLA

asking Morini 162E owners about the rear sight

Post by XINFLA »

Just want to find out if the rear sight notch on the 162E is adjustable in width and depth? Thanks!
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I don't have one but I'm certain they are adjustable in both dimensions - have a look on the morini website - that should say.

Rob.
David M

rear sight

Post by David M »

Adjustable in width of notch, but not depth.
tseuG

Morini 162 rear sight options

Post by tseuG »

The rear sight blade slots of the 3 Morini 162s of mine can be adjusted for with, but none can be adjusted for depth.
The rear sight slots of my older FWBs have adjustability for depth as well, but not on my newer FWB 40. The slot of the M40 is a bit shallow, and gets even worse when a vider front blade is substituted.
The rear sight slots of my Steyrs APs can be adjusted for depts by losening two small screws, and then pushing the rear sight back wall blade up or down. Not very ingenious.
The rear sight slot of my MG1 can be adjusted for dept, though.

Rgds,
tseuG

Post by Guest »

Thanks very much for the reponses guys!
F. Paul in Denver

Post by F. Paul in Denver »

I dont have anything to add to tseuG's post - the way he described the rear sight is the same way mine is configured.

I do have a question though - WHY did Morini design the 162 sights requiring a screw driver to adjust instead of wheel which could be manipulated with your fingers??
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

F. Paul - I don't think we'll ever really know with any certainty the answer to your question. But, we can speculate. Given Cesare Morini's eye for esthetics, I would have to suggest that thumbwheels were not used because of their less elegant appearance.

The second reason which I would suspect had an even larger influence is cost. The slot-headed screw is far cheaper to machine than a thumbwheel. As well, the current elevation ajustment mechanism is about as simple as they come. Changing to one which would accomodate thumbwheels would likely cost more.

Having said that, even the TAU-7 and IZH-46 sights use thumbwheel adjustments. And these are some of the most economical competition airguns on the market!

While some folks may feel that a screwdriver-adjustable sight is less handy than a thumbwheel-adjustable sight, I can honestly say that I now just make it part of my preparation routine to place my tools (including those for grip and trigger adjustments) on the shooting mat beside my pistol. When it comes time to make a sight adjustment, the screwdriver is there and ready for use. It might take an extra couple of seconds to use the screwdriver. One aspect of thumbwheels is that they represent a slight increase in risk of sight settings being changed inadvertantly (ie by moving the pistol on the bench). Most sights have strong detent mechanisms that such inadvertant change is highly unlikely, making this pretty much a moot point.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Why the burning desire to adjust the sights?

Yes I understand the need to be able to adjust front/rear width, and maybe even rear depth/front height. I understand the need to "sight in" a gun initially and after maintenance- but really guys, why "easy to use thumbwheels?"

Even for club guns that get passed around . . . ? Just curious.

Steve Swartz
F. Paul in Denver

Post by F. Paul in Denver »

Steve,

I frequently need to make sight adjustments depending on the venue, The Olympic Training Center has lighting far different than my garage and much different than the various clubs I visit.

In addition, I sometimes find it helpful to make sight adjustments during a match or training session. I'm not sure what changes or why (grip, stance, head position, fatigue), but I sometimes need a click or two to get back to center.

I know, I know. I should find out why and make the correction to the root of the problem instead of moving the sights. Until I can do that, I prefer to make a small sight adjustment when I believe it's necessary.

I agree with Mark's logic regarding the possible reasoning behind the design.

I have plans to meet Mr. Morini during my trip to Switzerland and Italy in the fall - maybe I'll ask the artist directly.

Tens & X's to you -

Paul
FredB

Using sights

Post by FredB »

F. Paul in Denver wrote:
In addition, I sometimes find it helpful to make sight adjustments during a match or training session. I'm not sure what changes or why (grip, stance, head position, fatigue), but I sometimes need a click or two to get back to center.

I know, I know. I should find out why and make the correction to the root of the problem instead of moving the sights. Until I can do that, I prefer to make a small sight adjustment when I believe it's necessary.

Paul
Gosh Paul, don't apologize for using your sights! The only constant is change, and using your sights to adapt to change seems very sensible to me. I have heard top level shooters - among them Don Nygord - say exactly the same thing about sight use as you did.

OK, now, you can say it loud and clear: "I am a sight changer and I am proud of it!"

FredB
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

I myself tap the sights with the screwdriver on occasion just 'cause it makes me feel better.

And yes, I have read the whole lore about turning your rear sight into the direction of the sun etc. etc.

Personally Opinion Alert- For What It's Worth:

What I have personally concluded after "studying up on" this a bit is that when I am shooting a couple of clicks off center, it's because I'm aligning the gun a little off center. I would rather correct my improper behavior with awareness and training than compensate for it mechanically.

Yes, I agree that sometimes the lighting conditions *do* make it harder to execute the behaviors properly. Perhaps that is what the "Old Bulls" recognized but maybe didn't explain completely; or just weren't interested in the explanation as long as they had a coping mechanism?

Dern it, isn't this an incredibly interesting and fascinating sport that we get to chew on puzzlers like this on a regular basis?

I LOVE THIS STUFF!!

Steve ("Just Got Severely Humbled At The USASNC") Swartz

(This is of course straying a little OT; sorry. Just like cryo treating, faster lock time, group testing pellets, or moly lube on bullets. I'm not knocking the benefits of feeling better about your equipment or the conditions.)
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I think it is imperative to change sights or at least be comfortable at doing so for different (lighting) conditions. Range lighting will for example vary and as such your aiming point will also vary. Aiming under the black we rely on a certain amount of white between sights and black to know where to aim. Now that isn't a height thing it's an amount of light that our brain recognises and as such on a bright target that mount of light will be detected from a smaller amount of white, and even indoor (AP/AR) ranges only have minimum lighting requirements under ISSF rules - out door (eg FP) will be much more climate driven.

Also through a course of fire our muscles will tire to some degree and that includes the arms and eyes. So for all these reasons one should accept the need to adjust the sights throughout a competition (IMHO)

Rob.
FredB

Post by FredB »

Steve,

I just got through rereading Don Nygord's excellent piece on sight adjustment in Nygord's Notes (q.v.). And I was reminded that, in NOT wanting to adjust your sights to compensate for changing conditions, you are in fact one of the "Old Bulls." Of course they didn't want to make sight adjustments because their sights were unreliable. Your reasons are less clear, other than a large dose of "should" and "ought". Perhaps you could explain your reasoning with the same clarity and logic that Don uses to point out the need for active use of the sights?

In any case, I feel that you were unnecessarily provocative in writing:
Steve Swartz wrote: This is of course straying a little OT; sorry. Just like cryo treating, faster lock time, group testing pellets, or moly lube on bullets.
Do you truly believe that sight adjustment and the four above-mentioned topics are equivalent in direct relevance to shooting well? If not, then you are in effect denigrating those who posted on this topic in a needlessly flip manner.

FredB