Beginner Target

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

SirWeezle

Beginner Target

Post by SirWeezle »

Hey everyone I was wondering what would be a good starter target rifle. I really want to get serious with target shooting. I'd rather have a gun with a bull barrel and something with a light trigger if possible. I was looking into buying a Marlin 917M2S but its more of a hunting rifle more than a target rifle. My dad might be able to find me a Remington 541S I heard those are really accurate. I am on a budget of probably under $500. Thanks to everyone that responds.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

For under $500 you're going to have to look at used, and that usually isn't a big deal. For $500 you could probibly get a Marlin 2000 or 2000L. They are pretty good for starters, but are a little small for adults. I have one, and I like it for indoor 4-P during the winter.

You might be able to find a Winchester 52C or D for that price. They are very good guns, and have a lot of aftermarket parts available to upgrade as you get better (new stock, better barrel, better trigger, etc). I have a 52E, and I absolutely love it. It's a complete mut, but it sure can shoot!

Check some of the online target shooting stores as well (www.championshooters.com, www.nealjguns.com). They usually have used guns for a good price. If you can spend a little more upfront you will have a very good used rifle that will last you a long time.

Good luck, good shooting, and welcome to the sport. You won't be disappointed!

Jim
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Why don't you give Mac Tilton a call. I just picked up a used Anschutz 64, a very good beginner target rifle, for $360 with sights for a boy who shoots with us. You can find him at www.mtguns.com. I am pretty sure he has more.
SirWeezle

Post by SirWeezle »

that's an awsome deal. I sent them an email asking them if they still had them in stock. I hope they do. That is a LOT better than what I was expecting to get for under $500.
SirWeezle

Post by SirWeezle »

I was just kind of curious now that I was thinking of it. But are there any shooters here in Central Illinois? We really only seem to have like one main shooting range here. I wish there were more.
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

SirWeezle wrote:I was just kind of curious now that I was thinking of it. But are there any shooters here in Central Illinois? We really only seem to have like one main shooting range here. I wish there were more.
Hi

I'm originally from Montgomery County Illinois, and only shot at Boy Scout Camp. That's probably illegal now. I don't remember seeing any ranges in the county growing up.

Mike
Wichita KS
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

TWP

Post by TWP »

2nd Vote for Mac Tilton.

he did a great job setting up a used rifle for my daughter.

He doesn't list any used stuff on his web site. Give him a phone call, nice guy to talk with.

If not that CDNN, http://www.targetsportsinc.com had some of the Russian CM2 rifles listed in their latest catalog. Not sure if they have any left in stock or not, but they were about $350 dealer price.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

I always call him. I think maybe email is hit and miss with him.
wrc

Post by wrc »

SirWeezle wrote:I was just kind of curious now that I was thinking of it. But are there any shooters here in Central Illinois? We really only seem to have like one main shooting range here. I wish there were more.
Not sure if it is close enough for you, but one of the premier programs is in Streator, at Sandy Ford Sportsman's Club. They're running a Smallbore Rifle Camp this week, matter of fact.
Way downstate is Highland Rifle & Pistol Club - they have a junior program too, and serious adult smallbore shooters.
Illinois State Univ has a competitive air rifle club. There are probably more clubs doing things locally, but they don't hold matches or send people to other tournaments, so we never know about them.

If you can, visit a club or matches before investing a lot in smallbore equipment.

Post by Guest »

something else,

go to www.shootersjournal.com and check out the smallbore journal, those guys will very likely be able to put you on the trail of a rifle in your area, and also give you help in most anything you need
SirWeezle

Post by SirWeezle »

I sent Mac Tilton an e-mail. I havn't had a chance to call him yet. I have looked on the NRA range list and havn't been able to find anything remotely close except for one range. I noticed that he has a Remington 540 listed under used rifles. What is everyone's opinion on that rifle I really like the stock on it. but I was wondering about the accuracy/triggerpull type stuff
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

Anonymous wrote:something else,

go to www.shootersjournal.com and check out the smallbore journal, those guys will very likely be able to put you on the trail of a rifle in your area, and also give you help in most anything you need
Shooter's Journal is run by an egomaniac who only wants yes-men in his by-invitation-only forums. No dissenting opinions allowed.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

I have not found that to be the case.

Post by Guest »

Jose Rossy wrote:
Anonymous wrote: Shooter's Journal is run by an egomaniac who only wants yes-men in his by-invitation-only forums. No dissenting opinions allowed.
Though I respect your opinion, it is just that, your opinion. No need to flame anyone... It does not delude the fact that sometimes their topics somewhat informative, nor the network of shooters that are merely lurkers in the forum that may be able to point a new shooter in the direction of an awesome deal on a beginner rifle.
NOTE: anyone can join the forum that wishes to, its simple-name email address and location sort of thing. just register with delpi and follow the forum rules.

Mr. Weezle:

What discipline of smallbore shooting are you wanting to get serious about greatly affects whether the Remington 540 is a good start.... prone, sporter or maybe even silhouette the 540 would be a good platform to start with, though most people tend to want the 37 action to build from... if you’re planning to do three position I would strongly urge you to steer away from rifles that don’t have an adjustable comb and a really tall fore-end. The problem being that in offhand, you really need the tall fore-end to build a stable position, if its short, you’ll end up needing either a palm rest or building a really awkward position putting a great amount of strain on your lower back. If you’re going to be shooting three position, a used anschutz is a very safe bet, but its very important to remember that your rifle is a very important key to your shooting, to save a few bucks is not a good reason to choose one rifle over another. It is far more costly in the long run to have to trade up because you were a bit too tight in the first place. Basically, it would be within your best interest to scrape up as much money as you can. Do some odd jobs, ask for advances on birthdays and such to get a solid rifle to start with. If you’re looking to save some money, be on the lookout for a used walther or feinwerkbau, as they are both very fine rifles as well but tend to resell for less and a comparable anschutz.

Though I may sound biased, I personally feel that in the long run, you will probably be better steering clear of domestic made rifles, as the after market accessories are not nearly as plentiful as their European counterparts. They still make some of the best prone and benchrest rifles around, but are extremely costly to modify for position shooting, not to mention the lynch mob you’ll have chasing you down for chopping up a classic Remington or Winchester.

REALLY, it would be within your best interest to bug your dad to drive you to a smallbore match and see what everyone there is shooting, and heck, camp perry is right around the corner from now, that would make a great day or weekend trip, SO SO SO much you can learn just by roaming around there, not to mention the fact that it is utterly inspiring just to walk around and see some of the best shooters of our time and see what theyre using. most likely they will go way out of their way to get you involved and help you pick out a rifle that best suits your wishes...

Neil Johnson at www.nealjguns.com often has several rifles in his shop that are not listed on his website, (thats how i found my 2013) so it might be worth your while to call or email him as well, same goes for Champion shooters supply at www.championshooters.com..

BUT just my two cents
SirWeezle

Post by SirWeezle »

Well I tried giving Mac a call twice now. I havn't gotten an answer yet. I'm calling him at like 6:00 PM Central. is there any special time I should call him?
SirWeezle

Post by SirWeezle »

I want to be competetive as much as I can for my area. There isn't much here but the closest range holds .22 cal shoots I know for sure. The Range owner is going to call me back tonight at let me know what kind of restrictions there are and what all types of rifles everyone uses. I'm basicly looking for something with the best action and accuracy for the price. My dad makes his own stocks for his Muzzleloaders so I won't have to worry about what type of stock it is. I'm basicly learning from him. He was Illinois State Muzzleloading champion years ago. He has made some amazing looking stocks. And plus this way the stock will be made perfect for me. I have a job and close to enough money to pay for a new Anschutz but for what is around me I don't think I am going to need something that advanced. I myself think that a Anschutz 64 or even a Remington 540 is going to be the most advanced rifle there, and as I stand right now I'm not going to be able to travel to serious shoots Possibly in a couple years I'll be able to but by then I'll be able to buy top of the line stuff when I actually need to then.
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

pdeal wrote:I have not found that to be the case.
I have. Let's agree to disagree.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Look also at www.thadscott.com. Under rifles check out the Anschutz that he has numbered 16917. It is $535. That is a good deal. It is an old 1407. This is a very good starting rifle especially if your dad works on stocks. I personally would avoid a remington. The Remington's are sort of dead end guns. The really good thing about buying an anschutz is that lots of stuff is available for it new and used. Also, the rear sight can be used on any other anschutz. Stocks are interchangeable (on the 54's not the 64's) so if you decide to upgrade you can watch for a free rifle stock or buy a new one- it will fit. I would avoid buying one of the old prone rifles. These have the heavy barrel and unless you have a free rifle stock you will hate it in anything but prone. The old 1407's have a slightly lighter barrel and will balance reasonably well for you.
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

I'll second pdeal's recommendation of Thad Scott. He's not an expert on target rifles, so you need to be in order to ask extremely detailed questions about their condition. The good thing is that Mr. Scott is a stand up guy, and will make good on any gun he sells you that you aren't happy with.

I've had that same situation happen to me, and it was resolved quickly, fairly, and corteously.