Pellets

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Walisongo

Pellets

Post by Walisongo »

Has anybody tried H&N rifle pellets in a Pistol? I'm using an LP5 and can get a batch of H&N rifle pellets at a good price. I know they're heavier than the pistol pellets but I would like to know if the extra weight would make much difference. Would they be ok for a comp or just practice? I'm working on the theory they'd be fine.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

I have both a LP5 and LP10P and shoot the heavier grade of pellets out of both (H&N, RWS and JSB). The lighter pistol pellets seem to do better in lower powered guns.
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Walisongo - I have done testing with at least 10 different types of pellets in my air pistols. I finally settled on H&N rifle pellets as they produced consistantly tight groups in my Steyr LP1, LP10 and Morini CM162. Don't be afraid to try them, they're good pellets.

Also - don't believe that the pellet listed on the test target for your air pistol is the best pellet. My CM162 was tested using H&N 4.49mm pellets. I haven't yet found a 4.49 pellet that this pistol likes, but it sure likes 4.50's and even some 4.51's!

Happy Shooting!
Pax Vobiscum

Testing Pellets

Post by Pax Vobiscum »

What would be the best way to test the different pellets?
P30man

Post by P30man »

Most of the national squad that use Steyrs are using H&N Gold Rifle pellets, the pistols seem to like these better
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Pax - the best way to test an airgun is with it clamped firmly in a vise, which in turn is clamped firmly to a structure which cannot move. Then you shoot 10m groups from the vise. I personally use 10-shot groups as a general indicator, but prefer to shoot 25 shot groups once I've narrowed my choice down to 2 or 3 pellets that show good promise. This process takes time, so be prepared to either spend the time, or just trust that whatever pellet you've purchased will work well and dispense with pellet testing entirely.
Walisongo

Post by Walisongo »

Thanks Mark, I'll give them a go, the curiousity is gettin the better of me anyway.
Wali