Unertl Scope Help Needed

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Jack Leslie

Unertl Scope Help Needed

Post by Jack Leslie »

My local club is going to have a 200yd prone match in August and I thought that this would be a good time to use the Unertl scope that I bought a dozen years ago and never shoot.

Last evening I was at the range looking for my 200yd zero and could not get anything resembling a group. With my iron sights, I was able to hold the black with several 9s and 10s – not bad considering the failing light and that I was using a 100yd target since I did not have a 200yd one. With the scope, however, it was an entirely different story! They seemed to break nice, but printed all over the place. About 8 inches out at 7o’clock I had several shots, but that was not really the center of my “pattern” (it could not be called a “group”).

The .275 inch bases appear snug, the recoil spring is modestly tight against the front mount, the scope returns to what I assume is the same place on the external mounts if I push on it. Adjustments turn freely; nothing is binding on the scope.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jack

Equipment: Anschutz 2013 with RWS ammo; Unertl Ultra Varmint 15x w/POSA mounts

Conditions: grass range, early evening, shadow over target, no mirage, no wind to mention

Shooter: High-end 3P sharpshooter (just have not put two Expert scores back-to-back at NRA matches) – it could be operator error, but how come so good with irons?