where am I and which (best) free pistol do you advice??

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
basar

where am I and which (best) free pistol do you advice??

Post by basar »

hi everyone,

I am a AP shooter since 8 months;my pistol is Steyr LP-10 and my approximately score is 540. Firstofall, I want to know that is it a good score for 8 months backgroud? Secondly, I have heard about that freepistol shooting also would help to develop my scores on AP shooting. So, I am starting to looking for a free pistol and I want to be a FP shooter behind AP. Would you give me an advice which FP is the best/or which would be best for me?

I will be waiting your kind feedbacks. Best regards from Turkey...
Ernie Rodriguez

Free Pistol

Post by Ernie Rodriguez »

I was in your position a while ago.I will pass on what I learned.If you are working within a budget,try to find a used Toz 35.At a higher financial plateau-purchase a new Toz(unused),or a used Morini CM84e.If money is not a problem,you might consider a new CM84e or when they are available-take a look at a Hammerli fp60.These f/p seem to be pretty popular.There are others on the market,but you have to make that personal choice.Good luck.Erod
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

I would say 540 after eight months is good. Many shooters never reach that level.
Getting the next 20 points to take you to A grade is much harder. Keep practising, sift all the advice from other shooters and the scores will keep improving.
Ned

Post by Ned »

540 is an excellent score. I was there after six months, but when competition started the results droped sharply <smile>.

FP is very good for hold, it will enchace your AP results. In fact, it goes both ways.

For choice of pistol, there is no good/bad choice. I started with FP last year with customized Drulov 75. I didn't have much choice, since no other pistol was avialible. Some shooters in my club are shooting + 510 with this type of pistol. In Croatia, there are 50 m competitions with standard Drulov 90 (trigger weight of 1000g) and they score more then 510 too.

The advantage of this type of pistol is that they are cheap (100 euros) and unbreakable.

More sophisticated pistols would be the better choice, in fact they are much easier to shoot. There is advantage of anatomical grip, balance and better sights.

FP is more tricky and the success "slope" is much steeper. Getting 480 score at first will be much harder then getting 540 with AP. (Training wise, the competion is another dimension), so be patient.

Getting a TOZ 35 gun would be a good choice. Make a search on the forum and you'll find interesting threads.

The second hand TOZ can be found starting from 250 euros. The new one with original grip cost 800 euros. They also sell with Morini grip +150 euros.

Good grip choice should be an important factor. I would warmly suggest to start with a good factory grip or spend extra 250 euros for a Rink grip, grip customization is tricky too.

Free Matchguns pistols are avialible, they cost around 1000 euros. Excellent value for money, but not much feedback since they are new. Everything else is more expensive.

- Ned

FP from MG available??

Post by guest »

Well, pictures of the new Matchguns freepistol can be seen at their homepage, but I have not been informed that the gun is available to the market yet.

Do you have any "solid" info on this subject, Ned?
Ned

Post by Ned »

The pistol is available in France. There are already two of them in our club.

The first shooter liked it a lot. He used to shot with Toz before. He made his personal record on qualifications for national championship. The second guy was not lucky. The pistol didn't function at all.

- Ned