1813 Anschutz value

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

rick taylor

1813 Anschutz value

Post by rick taylor »

How much is too much for a model 1813 Anschutz?
Also what to look for when buying a used match 54 action,rifle.
any info greatly welcomed.
Thanks,regards,Rick.
TWP

Post by TWP »

How much do you want to spend?

Lately the ones I've seen have been going for about $1,200-$1,400. But occasionally you see them for as low as $750.

Depends a lot upon features, accessories, and condition.

What to look for? same as any used rifle. General condition of action, bore, stock, and what accessories it has.

Post by Guest »

First thing is the general condidtion; if the stock looks like the previous owner has used it as a cricket bat, be wary.

Check over the metal work, any rust? If there is more than a speckling around the front of the receiver (where naughty people put their fingers) check the underside. Rust here is bad.

Does the bolt work smoothly?

Trigger crisp? Will the sear hold?

Check the bore, is it nice and clean and crisp? If a rifle has been stored for years and is dirty will it still shot well?

If possible check the bedding area. Is the wood in good condition (or any epoxy if it has been re-bedded)? Have the bedding screws been messed up? Will they tighten properly without threatening to crack the stock?

Sights- does it have them? Replacing these can be expensive. Do the rearsight turrets turn without backlash (check movement against the vernier scales on the side. If it has shiny extras like irises/filters this may push up the price. Newwer sights are good, but again this costs. Be wary of a new shiny rifle with really old sights.

If bits are missing, like handstops, butthooks can you find replacements cheaply? For the handstop does it still have the swivel in place? Older Anschutz swivels are the devil to replace, they do turn up on ebay but not regularly.

In summary tidy clean rifles CAN be better, the previous owner has though enough of it to keep it in good nick. Theodd ding or scratch can be ignored it the bore, sights, and bedding are good.

Regarding Anschutz dating, Match 54 rifles (ie those with the big bolt mounted wing-type safety catch) have the year of manufacture stamped on the barrel by the proof marks. 16xx and later rifles (tapered bolt end, and newer trigger) have the date in a letter code.

hope this helps

Tim S

Exeter UK
rick taylor

Thanks to all

Post by rick taylor »

I really like my anschutz rifles ,i prefer the older wooden stocked varieties (ie;the 1400-1800 series) but cannot readily find info on them.
Any answers to my questions greatly appreciated.
thanks to every one who took the time to reply,
regards,Rick Taylor in Newfoundland,Canada.