center fire vs. rapid fire

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
dam8

center fire vs. rapid fire

Post by dam8 »

what are the differences between these 2 styles and guns?
thanks in advance dam
David Levene

Re: center fire vs. rapid fire

Post by David Levene »

dam8 wrote:what are the differences between these 2 styles and guns?
thanks in advance dam
The courses of fire are totally different requiring different techniques and skills. The basics, squeeze the sights and watch the trigger (just joking), are however the same

The guns are similar apart from one being centrefire and the other being .22LR.

Other than that though I am not certain what your question is.

Post by Guest »

Thanks David,
I am an informal shooter and have always wanted a nice 22 for target shooting. I have shot many 22 lr. but no 22 shorts. Is one more accurate than another?. Is one easier to handle than the other? and is one more problematic than the other? thanks dam
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Rapid fire now too uses .22LR since the rules changed in January. As for guns I can't comment as I've not shot either discipline properly just the UK versions with 5-shot air pistols.

Rob.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Anonymous wrote:I am an informal shooter and have always wanted a nice 22 for target shooting. I have shot many 22 lr. but no 22 shorts. Is one more accurate than another?. Is one easier to handle than the other? and is one more problematic than the other? thanks dam
AS Rob said, Rapid Fire is now shot with .22LR so if you want to shoot according to the ISSF rules .22 short is a non-starter.

As for your other questions:-

1) As a generalisation .22LR is more accurate than .22 short, even at 25m range.

2) The "old rules" .22 short Rapid Fire pistols with their reduced recoil, ported barrels, unlimited trigger weight and back-bar grips were probably easier to handle than a .22LR Standard Pistol.

3) The "old rules" .22 short Rapid Fire pistols were probably more problematic than any other ISSF pistols.

Back to the earlier point, there is no longer an ISSF event for .22 short. You will be able to buy a second-hand one extremely cheaply but that will not help if you want to shoot ISSF matches.
dam8

Post by dam8 »

I have seen the Pardini schuuman here on our hosts used guns section in the past. It looks like a great gun. Is it one of the problematic guns? or are 22shorts problematic in general?
Mike McDaniel

Post by Mike McDaniel »

All the .22 short RF pistols were fickle. Often very fickle. You can tell a RF shooter from the torrent of first-rate profanity that erupts about every third or fourth string. It doesn't matter which one you use.

This was one of the big reasons why they went to .22 LR for RF. Right now, the only use for a .22 short would be to slap a Walther GSP trigger into an OSP and use it as a 50-foot bullseye gun.
j-team

Post by j-team »

All the .22 short RF pistols were fickle. Often very fickle. You can tell a RF shooter from the torrent of first-rate profanity that erupts about every third or fourth string. It doesn't matter which one you use.
I disagree. The Walther OSP and Pardini GP/GPS were very reliable pistols.

The reason the ISSF changed the rules to .22lr was both to try to encourage more people to shoot Rapid Fire and because there was basically only 2 companies left (Fiocchi and RWS) that were prepared to manufacture quality .22short ammo (which was also expensive).