Stray shot

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

What is considered a stray shot to you?

3%
49%
23%
23%
<6
3%

Total votes: 35

sgshooter

Stray shot

Post by sgshooter »

What is considered a stray shot to you?
sgshooter

Post by sgshooter »

For 10m air pistol
bluechucky

Post by bluechucky »

Well this obviously depends on what level you are, but as a rapid improving D grader, I consider anything out of the black a bad miss.
PETE S

Incorrect basis for poll

Post by PETE S »

The absolute shot value is not really the question and whether you are a AA or a D class shooter makes no difference.

The real question is did I use my best or the proper technique for that shot?

Did I have a signal to say I should have aborted because I sensed something was not right but took the shot anyway.

A drunk with the shakes and blurred vision will eventually shoot a ten.

If you realize that you used poor technique and get lucky and score a ten, is that not a stray?
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

I'm a bullseye shooter, and am a low Marksman at this time. I shoot just under 800 for smallbore, and roughly 650 in .45 (which I use for Centerfire). I just got my son to finish Eagle Scout, he graduates in two weeks, and I'm busy at work right now. I plan to train a LOT more with the .45, but I do consider anything under a 9 to be a miss on my part. My current hurdle is sight picture with the .45. I'm using a dot sight with the .22LR for now.

Just my opinion

Mike
John Ciccone

What is a stray shot?

Post by John Ciccone »

When shooting slow fire or a single shot event, and 8 is a bad shot in that i did something wrong, follow through, triger control, ignored a signal, etc.

In rapid fire such as in Bullseye or Standard pistol, there is the rare but terrifying "pinwheel flinch." It's a kind of over compensation to corrective feedback on sight alignment, which may have been due to tired muscles. In any event, its gone now, but when it used to happen it was a hum-dinger.
BothellBob

Post by BothellBob »

Free pistol, 10 meter, or one of the "easy" disciplines? Does anyone have a measurable definition of a flyer? I know one when I shoot one (or two or three), but what might be a reasonable definition? I plot my free pistol targets and count anything that falls more than three standard deviations outside the mean shot distance from center of group as a flyer. (That is, I ignore them for any consideration of a sight change.) Plotting "average miss" does not result in the normal, bell-shaped curve; but a highly scewed curve (since one can miss by a bunch, but there is no improvement on hitting the center). Statistics are not my best subject; is there a method for working with such scewed data that could mathematically tell me the probability that my misses are true flyers, as opposed to shots that fall within the normal distribution of my arc of movement?
-Bob (Who is Still Struggling toward 500) Blum
My friend told me to take up golf. He said golf would teach me the lessons of humility. I told him I shot free pistol, so I had all the humility I could stand.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Pete Schrieber nailed it the first time- a "flyer" is any shot that you shouldn't have released downrange (whether it ends up a ten or not).

Holes in the paper are a side effect. If you are executing the proper BEHAVIORS to the best of your ability for EVERY SHOT, you have no flyers.

A flyer is when you could have done something differently and didn't.

YMMV

Steve Swartz
Step´ Wats´

straying...

Post by Step´ Wats´ »

In free-pistol a 6 (or worse) is definitely a shot astray. When I am doing my best a 7 is a stray also.

In AP a 7 is a strayshot. And those lousy 8ts, cutting out into the 7 ring, (these are prone to appear at one or more of my targets during a match) are considered stays also.
Gryphon

To Pete S

Post by Gryphon »

Spent the whole day drunk and with the shakes, best I could manage was a nine. ;-}

Post by Guest »

LOL Gryphon, I consider a s flyer a pellet that goes wiggy when I release it. It has only happened a few times but I could actually hear and see a pellet in my last match fly away from black. A true flyer. Shots that I miss from poor execution are not flyers to me. They are lessons.
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

What were you doing looking at the pellet?
If you had been concentrating on the front sight, you would not have noticed the pellet heading out of the black.
Also, if you had been watching the front sight you would have realised that you had had accidentally let it stray too far to one side of the rear sight notch, giving the impression that the pellet was curving away.

Been there done that until I realised that it was me and not a batch of deformed pellets.