Air Rifle power limitations

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

cqbarms

Air Rifle power limitations

Post by cqbarms »

Is there a limit on the FPE or FPS of match air rifles used in ISSF or NRA competition?
TWP

Post by TWP »

I've never seen one listed in the rules and never seen a chronograph at a major match.
cqbarms

Post by cqbarms »

I was thinking there must be as many of the match rifles are putting along at 600, 640 somehwere in there.

Also the traps would get blasted and in many countries the airguns would be firearms.
metallyrob

Post by metallyrob »

There is no such rule in the ISSF rulebook, but in germany (were most manufacturers of airrifles reside) there is law according to muzzle energy. Max 7,5J = free if you are 18 years or older above 7,5J it's an firearm requiring a firearmlicence.

Robert
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

Thankfully, there is no such nonsense in the USA.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Jose Rossy wrote:Thankfully, there is no such nonsense in the USA.
But all the top US shooters are shooting with German guns so it's a bit of a moot point really! :p
Jim E

Jim E

Post by Jim E »

Following the development of the wadcutter .177 pellet in the 1950's, testing determined the ideal velocity, i.e. consistent stability leading to maximum accuracy, was around 575 fps. As these are single purpose airguns - punch a hole consistently through a paper target 10 meters down range - velocities much above or below 575 fps would defeat the airguns purpose. Could this be why even today Feinwerkbau's advertised velocity for their P700 is 575!
cqbarms

Re: Jim E

Post by cqbarms »

I think my FWB 300 listed 640 at the FPS.

[

quote="Jim E"]Following the development of the wadcutter .177 pellet in the 1950's, testing determined the ideal velocity, i.e. consistent stability leading to maximum accuracy, was around 575 fps. As these are single purpose airguns - punch a hole consistently through a paper target 10 meters down range - velocities much above or below 575 fps would defeat the airguns purpose. Could this be why even today Feinwerkbau's advertised velocity for their P700 is 575![/quote]
Jim E

Post by Jim E »

Beeman advertized the FWB300S velocity at 640 fps with a footnote these velocities were achieved with either Beeman Laser (very light 6.5 g) or Beeman Silver Bear (light 7.1 g) pellets (see Beeman Catelog #22 @ page 52). Ah, must admit Beeman was a master at marketing.

A variety of factors can influence velocity, such as pellet weight and elevation. Its not uncommon, based on testing 50+ FWB300 and/or FWB 300S for resale, to see velocities at or above 575 fps level - rule of thumb is slightly higher velocities with more consistency witnessed using 4.50 mm pellets. It is not uncommon to see rebuilt 300's shot in the 590 to 630 range and have heard one rebuilt by Randy Bimrose approaching 670 fps.

From a historical perspective, the Walther's LGR (first SSP match air rifle) advertised their velocity in the 550 to 570 fps range. Immediately following the LGR's introduction in late 1975, the rifle broke both world records and subplanted the FWB300S as the "world beater."

Chrony's are a wonderful tool to judge and monitor performance --- and very helpful to identify which pellet each individual match rifle prefers (consistency velocities are quite meaningful). I'd personally prefer a 565 fps that remains consistent over a hotter shooting rifle which has greater variation. But don't take my word for this as I'm a terrible rifle shooter.

Hope this is of some value.

Jim E
cqbarms

Post by cqbarms »

What's Beeman? i'm talking about the listed FPS in my FWB manual.

Jim E wrote:Beeman advertized the FWB300S velocity at 640 fps with a footnote these velocities were achieved with either Beeman Laser (very light 6.5 g) or Beeman Silver Bear (light 7.1 g) pellets (see Beeman Catelog #22 @ page 52). Ah, must admit Beeman was a master at marketing.

A variety of factors can influence velocity, such as pellet weight and elevation. Its not uncommon, based on testing 50+ FWB300 and/or FWB 300S for resale, to see velocities at or above 575 fps level - rule of thumb is slightly higher velocities with more consistency witnessed using 4.50 mm pellets. It is not uncommon to see rebuilt 300's shot in the 590 to 630 range and have heard one rebuilt by Randy Bimrose approaching 670 fps.

From a historical perspective, the Walther's LGR (first SSP match air rifle) advertised their velocity in the 550 to 570 fps range. Immediately following the LGR's introduction in late 1975, the rifle broke both world records and subplanted the FWB300S as the "world beater."

Chrony's are a wonderful tool to judge and monitor performance --- and very helpful to identify which pellet each individual match rifle prefers (consistency velocities are quite meaningful). I'd personally prefer a 565 fps that remains consistent over a hotter shooting rifle which has greater variation. But don't take my word for this as I'm a terrible rifle shooter.

Hope this is of some value.

Jim E
Jim E

Post by Jim E »

Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

Sparks wrote:
Jose Rossy wrote:Thankfully, there is no such nonsense in the USA.
But all the top US shooters are shooting with German guns so it's a bit of a moot point really! :p
Not quite. Unlike you (and the Germans), I can buy any air gun or any firearm (except fully automatic ones) without a license or permit of any kind. Any caliber, any magazine capacity, any action type, in any quantity.

Ain't life grand?
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Jose Rossy wrote:Not quite. Unlike you (and the Germans), I can buy any air gun or any firearm (except fully automatic ones) without a license or permit of any kind. Any caliber, any magazine capacity, any action type, in any quantity.
Actually, while you can certainly do that, you'd have to be doing it illegally (since fully automatic firearms are illegal in the US without licences since the 1930s) and, well, if we're talking about illegal purchases...

And last I checked, the olympic US shooters shot with Steyrs, Walthers, Feinwerkbaus and so on. Not exactly all-american names, y'know...
cqbarms

Post by cqbarms »

Just a clarification there are no licenses for fully automatic firearms unless a state license is required (in the US). You have to pay a transfer tax, whihc is a pretty invasive procedure but technically it's a tax, not a license.

As to Beeman, I was just kidding...

Sparks wrote:
Jose Rossy wrote:Not quite. Unlike you (and the Germans), I can buy any air gun or any firearm (except fully automatic ones) without a license or permit of any kind. Any caliber, any magazine capacity, any action type, in any quantity.
Actually, while you can certainly do that, you'd have to be doing it illegally (since fully automatic firearms are illegal in the US without licences since the 1930s) and, well, if we're talking about illegal purchases...

And last I checked, the olympic US shooters shot with Steyrs, Walthers, Feinwerkbaus and so on. Not exactly all-american names, y'know...
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

Sparks wrote:
Partner, you have loooooooooooooong way to go to teach me about the gun laws in my country. And you need to read a bit better: "any firearm (except fully automatic ones)".....