Americans traveling to Canada - Beware

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

F. Paul in Denver

Americans traveling to Canada - Beware

Post by F. Paul in Denver »

My fellow Americans:

The Canadian government has recently tightened up it's immigration policies regarding entry by U.S. citizens. More specifically, the Canadians have taken a much more pro active approach by denying entry to persons with criminal records for things as minor as alcohol related driving offenses.

I am aware of several U.S. citizens who have recently been denied entry into Canada until they could prove that their cases were either dismissed or that they have become "rehabilitated." Since most people dont normally travel with this type of information, you should plan in advance for this scenario.

It's not certain which database the Canadian government is using to screen entrants but like most other single sources of information. the information upon which they rely in your case may not be completely accurate or up to date.

If you are planning to trip to the great north, make sure you have certified copies of court documents which indicate that the case has been closed out and that the matter is not still pending. If any type of alcohol or drug counseling was part of your sentence, make sure you have documentation that you have completed the required programs.

While I realize that this information is not relevant for the great majority of us, I'm nonetheless sure that there are also shooters out there who at one time in their lives, made a mistake and have already paid for it. This information is intended to help them enjoy the hospitality of a great country by avoiding a potentially embarassing situation at its borders.

F. Paul Figlia - Attorney at Law
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

The more I travel, the more I like the USA.
cbpersel

Post by cbpersel »

These stricter laws are - I`m sure - in response to joint US-Canadian security negotiations that have taken place since 9/11. The US border is even more strict. I am an American living in Canada traveling with a US passport and get a 3rd Degree grilling every time I travel to the US. It is too bad that the US-Canadian border is getting increasingly more strict rather than more open as it is between European countries.

Craig Persel