Position of SCATT optical sensor on the barrel

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Marcus wrote:The Scatt software accounts for the various factors such as delay, time of flight, velocity, etc. through the use of the "F-coefficient"

The value of that factor can be adjusted by the user in the range from 0 to 500. I do not know the units, but it might be milliseconds. The typical value for air rifle is 45 and for smallbore rifle is ~65.

The result of using a large number (like 400-500) is that the shot is displaced and strikes the target farther from the point of trigger pull in the direction that the gun was moving at the moment of trigger pull. While this may not be the ideal situation for simulation of long lock-time guns, it certainly would help with follow-through ;>)
The F-coefficient is not actually in any normal units. It is not something that can be calculated as it is dependant on too many factors, pistol, ammunition, shooter, air conditions etc. To be of any use it must be adjusted for each shooter/gun/ammunition/range combination by observing the results of live firing at the same time as using Scatt. If you just want to delay the sensing then this can be easily done by adjusting the "Shot Moment" in the shot parameters section.

In any case adjusting the F-coefficient or shot moment would be of no help in this flintlock where there is so much disturbance caused by the lock mechanism. It would appear to have a downward recoil but we know that it would have a strong upward recoil in live fire. In this case Scatt cannot accurately predict the shot hole and is only of any use in checking the pre-shot hold and trigger release. Anything after the trigger is released is a lottery.

I doubt if any of the electronic trainers would handle this gun any better.
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

David,

Can I catch all the movement of the lock mechanism by adjusting the shot moment? What value? Is 0,5 OK? I think that today my Scatt will take up the sound from the set trigger before the flint even starts to move forward.
I do not feel any "downward recoil ", all the movement down to strike the iron part (it does have a name) makes the barrel to go up and when the movement stops abruptly the barrel will go down. All going so fast so = no movement is seen at all. The gun is heavy and has a long barrel.

Tried to adjust shot moment on my file here and the first 5 shots are still together but has moved up at 11 o’clock. The whole idea is to keep them together.

Kent
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Reinhamre wrote:Can I catch all the movement of the lock mechanism by adjusting the shot moment? What value? Is 0,5 OK?
Kent

I do not have your file with me (I am supposed to be working).

From memory though I would have thought that the shot moment adjustment should be more like 0.05. You can get a pretty good idea by looking at the speed graph and seeing where the sudden trigger disturbance is coming in.
Haleva

It happened again (I think the scatt gave wrong results)

Post by Haleva »

Yesterday I used my new USB Scatt with my air pistol. During the entire drill (40 shots) the results I got were way better than they should be (I'm saying that out of my experience) I shot 385 with Avg L-Trace length 0f 45 , unfortunately these are not my numbers. When I started a new practice (doing nothing to the scatt setup!!) , the results return to normal (AVG L-Trace of 100 or so) .

Isanybody familiar with the possible cause of such behaviour ?
A Known bug maybe ?

Thanks
Avi
David Levene

Re: It happened again (I think the scatt gave wrong results)

Post by David Levene »

Haleva wrote:Isanybody familiar with the possible cause of such behaviour ?
A Known bug maybe ?
That's a new one on me, but then I haven't played with a USB Scatt yet.

Out of interest, from the information page, what were the separate hoizontal and vertical average trace lengths and what was the elliptical factor for the tracings.
Mikael Andersson

Post by Mikael Andersson »

Haleva
Next time you experiend this try to sight on the edge of the black center to the left and right, up and down. If the diameter of the hits its the same as the black center we can only congratulate you for a fine result:)
Haleva

Post by Haleva »

I think I figured it out.
It hapens when the calibiration is not done very accuratly and during the sightings one fix the calibiration roughly (drugging the bullet from the 5th to the 10). It seems that when this happens the sensativity of the sensor/software goes wrong.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

When you calibrate you need to have the shot in the inner circle. Dragging from the 5 is a bit too far, as you have already discovered.