Cant test ammo, should I just go expensive?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

jasonharris22

Cant test ammo, should I just go expensive?

Post by jasonharris22 »

Hi Everyone.

I will be about 3-4 weeks away from getting my new 1913 barelled action which means there may not be enough tenex left at our supplier to get a years worth.

I planned to test with various ammo but am wondering if I should risk waiting with the possibility of not having any tenex left. It seems most people are using tenex anyway.

I know that people say buy the cheapest you can find that groups the best for your rifle. Does this mean that match eps may group better than tenex in my barell?

It's an awkward question I know so any advise would be usefull - do you think its safe to buy a years tenex without testing it?

Thanks,
Jason
EricG

Post by EricG »

Unless you're getting a great deal on a case over a brick I wouldn't do it. Try buying a brick of the Tenex EPS and a brick of the Tenex semi-auto. I've heard alot of people say that the semiauto is outshooting the EPS.

I purchased a case of Lapua Midas L this summer. It shot decent in my old barrel. I recently rebarrelled and now the stuff shoots worse than a cheap lot of Wolf!

Be wary of buying alot of high-end ammo without testing it.
TWP

Post by TWP »

Rimefire's are all individuals.

I wouldn't buy a whole bunch of ammo without testing it first.

More expensive is usually better, but not always, and individual lots may preform differently in your rifle.

Best bet is to find out when your supplier has a new lot coming in, get some, test it, if it preforms really well, buy a bunch.
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

One of our shooters bought a "try it" package from Champion's Choice in TN. They will suggest a rimfire ammo for your gun, and they will tell you how much of each type they have from that lot. No use testing a lot that you can't buy at least a case of.

Champion's Shooter's carrys rimfire ammo, but I haven't gotten a try it type deal with them at this time. It could be worth the call to find out if they'll do it too. Haven't seen rimfire ammo on Pilk's site, so I assume he doesn't carry it.

Mike
Wichita KS
1813benny

Ammp Price vs Performance

Post by 1813benny »

Jason,
I would wait before purchasing any ammunition since your new rifle might be partial to a different lot.

While a higher price ammunition is typically better, some of the mid-level lots turn out to be excellent also. I know of a top level prone shooter who's best lot is Eley Match, NOT EPS...

As for your worry about your supplier running out, there are several suppliers that will offer test lots of ammo and some will even hold at least 1 case of each lot sent until you respond. Champion Shooters Supply in Ohio has been excellent to me over the past few years with regards to testing.

Finally, why are you so fixated on Eley? Lapua and RWS also make top quality ammunition....why limit youself to just one brand? What matters most is mating the ammo to the rifle....not rifle to brand. I have been extremely successful at Camp Perry over the years and I was not using any Eley products (RWS & Federal). While it is true that Eley is used by many top shooters, there is also many top shooters that use other brands.

Do avoid any of the Federal products (Ultra-Match), as there have been instances of "cases" actually containing several lot numbers. This happened shortly after they were bought by another company and they were "cleaning up".

Keep an open mind.
Good shooting.
Ken
JasonHarris

Post by JasonHarris »

Thanks for the replies guys.

I am in New Zealand and we really only have one option to get the ammo from. They have eley RWS and SK. Most people here are using Eley.

I understand that they usually have a large shipment for the year and most of this volume is based on orders placed prior to the shipment. As I didn't place an order there may be a shortage of some of the better ammunition. This was what had me worried about waiting and hoping that there would still be good stocks left.

Most other ammo available is from hunting stores, this is usually pretty bad stuff not used for target matches. Importing isn't much of an option either.

I will take the general advise and wait till my rifle arrives. On a nice note I was told last night that my new Gemini stock has cleared customs so hopefully it will be in my hands shortly :) Wish the barell was as close.

Thanks
Jason
Martin Catley

Re: Cant test ammo, should I just go expensive?

Post by Martin Catley »

[quote="jasonharris22"]Hi Everyone.

I will be about 3-4 weeks away from getting my new 1913 barelled action which means there may not be enough tenex left at our supplier to get a years worth.

Hi Jason
I can sympathise with you,the group dont realise the difficulty with ammo here in NZ.As I understand it our supplier is our national body(of Ely and SK)because of shipping problems they bring in one container per year.All members are asked at season end for commitment to purchase their requirements for the next season if you under order you can have problems.I do know RWS and Lapua is available might be able to find their contact.If they still have Tennex available and you want it- take it,have you thought of ElEy EPS Match our club has great results with it.Two of our lot are shooting 590`s.Semi auto is not available so far as I know.
Good luck Martin

Post by Guest »

Can you think of it as an investment? If it works in your new rifle, then you are in shape, if itdoesn't, then it looks like there would be willing buyers, considering the product is limited like that.
TWP

Post by TWP »

Anonymous wrote:Can you think of it as an investment? If it works in your new rifle, then you are in shape, if itdoesn't, then it looks like there would be willing buyers, considering the product is limited like that.
Jason,

I didn't realize your location or the situation regards to ammo availability.

It doesn't sound like you have the option of testing then buying different lots of ammo anyways.

So now that I understand a bit more of your situation I'm changing my advice.

Buy what you think you will use for the next year. Buy the best you can afford. When your rifle is completed try the ammo out, yes it will have a preference for types and lots of ammo, but you can spend the next year trying out your other options, then place an order for the following year. Worst case scenario you have some expensive practice ammo, you might get lucky and your rifle really likes it or you might be able to trade the ammo you bought to another shooter who's rifle like your ammo better.
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

another option that might be worth considering is a barrel tuner.

there are many who consider such devices to be worthless snake oil

but others feel (and have demonstrated to themselves) that by adjusting the weight on the barrel to cause it to vibrate during the shot in a manner that causes THIS lot of ammo to shoot the most accurate, you can, instead of selecting the lot of ammo that your own gun likes best, tune your gun to like your own lot of ammo.

there are complex calibrated contraptions that look like a large micrometer or just a donut of metal and a set screw on the bloop tube.

it seems to require a steady shooting vise, rest or position, a calm day and about 100rds of ammo.

just a thought.

Poole
http://arizona.rifleshooting.com/