Benelli Sport Pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
JLR (guest)

Benelli Sport Pistol

Post by JLR (guest) »

Would anyone have any firsthand info./feedback on the Benelli MP90 or MP95 ? I am interested in them and don`t know anyone that has experienc e with them. I know there are superior pistols that probably are more desireable for one reason or another, however the price is fairly attractive and am wondering if there is value in the Benellis. Thanks in advance... JLR
ajmaveety2008

MP 95

Post by ajmaveety2008 »

I just picked-up a Benelli and it's great! I got it the 15 of last month and I have close to 3000 rounds through it. I would suggest talking to Larry at Larry's Gun in Maine. I got the MP95 with a Hamerilli trigger and two extra mag's and it was 821.00 or so, plus shipping.
The gun wasn't the cost, it was finding which ammo fit me and the pistol. With that said, me being a left handed shooter it was nice not have to order other grips. But I do wish I was told it didn't have feed ramp such as the Hamerilli's. I find it stovepipes on certain ammo.
So good luck with your journey.
Tom

Not quite first hand but my 2 cents

Post by Tom »

Hi,

I havent owned either one of these but I shoot on many different teams and they always seem to be one or 2 around. I have seen both models and it appears that the 95 is the better of the 2 choices. That being said, here are the complaints/comments I have heard from owners:

1: They don't work with all types/brands of ammo. Some will not reliably function with the lower velocity brands. Most have tried 5 or so different brands before finding one that works 100%

2: Mounting optics is marginal at best. Either the scope hangs off the back of the pistol or it sits over the ejection port and causes stove pipe type jams quite frequently.

3: The trigger on the 90 does not lend itself to ease of use/adjustment, the one on the 95 is fully adjustable.

4: They are muzzle heavy even without the additional weights.

5: Firing pins shatter quite regularly.

In general, they seem to be more finicky and less reliable than either the Pardini's or Walthers. Then again, both of those are a lot more money. It's the same old story, you do get what you pay for, and in the gun world, there are no exceptions.

My 2 cents,

Tom

Edit 16 Mar.
Hi,
Looks like I got my 90's and 95's mixed up above. Swap them around.

Tom
Last edited by Tom on Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott H.

Benelli MP90 & 95

Post by Scott H. »

I think the MP90 is the top of the line, while the MP95, which I had, is the less adjustable of the two.

But, having said that, the MP95 is an excellent value.
ajmaveety2008

trigger

Post by ajmaveety2008 »

Which ever you get, get it with the Hamerlli trigger group and adjust away!!!!
But if you want to shoot International you can only down grade the trigger so much.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I have a Benelli 90s. It shoots well, and it likes CCI standard velocity .22, which is cheap & reliable. I've managed to fit a Tasco Optima 2000 (Jpoint) red dot to it, but it took some fiddling to get the mount to work the way I wanted.

The pistol is very accurate. On a good night, I will shoot in the mid-90's slow fire at 50 feet on an NRA bullseye target. The grip fits my hand perfectly. The trigger has a wide range of adjustments that should allow setting it up for just about anyone's tastes.

Now, the downside. They changed the design of the trigger mechanism, and you can't dry fire it easily the way you can with a Pardini. In order to clean it, you have to completely disassemble it. I've heard that the firing pins break easily, but I haven't had a problem. I also don't dry fire it, or (for the most part) let the hammer fall on the "6th" shot.

My wife has a Pardini. It's easier to clean, can be dry fired, and is easier to get good optics onto. If I had it all to do over, I'd get a Pardini, but the Benelli is still a good pistol. I'm not sure how they compare price-wise.

Doug White