Best way to batch process new pellets

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

novocon

Best way to batch process new pellets

Post by novocon »

Hello all,

This is my first time posting here and I need a little help. I am brand new to the world of target shooting and need advice on how to effectively batch process pellets.

I recieved a TX200 MkIII as a gift for field targeting and will probably be shooting CP's. I have read several conflicting ways to process a new box of pellets. Some say wash, some say not to. Does anyone have a start to finish process they would be willing to share? I do have a jewelers scale to accurately weight them also.

Thank you in advance for your time and comments.

Aaron
deleted1

Juvenile Process

Post by deleted1 »

What is the purpose of "processing" pellets---gents this is not Bench Rest shooting---what good does weighing (massing) the pellets on a micro balance---by the time you have massed 1000 pellets what have you achieved??? Look at the dispersion of weights and that's why there is no statistical nor practical reason for waisting your time doing this time consuming "juvenile" task. Spend your time practising not in this form of chasing the winds.
cqbarms

Re: Best way to batch process new pellets

Post by cqbarms »

In many a situation I would have to agree with Bob.
I think that in the end, the more time you spend practicing the better off you are over spending that time fiddling with pellets.

I would suggest that if your CP's are that "dirty", don't buy CP's buy JSB's or something else. The H&N pellets OEM'd are pretty good too.
I would also assert that you should consider trying different pellets first over thinking that CP's are your best bet. Granted I couldn't keep up with all the FT gizmos and tricks so now all my FT guns sit in a safe and get used only once in a while.

If you do end up washing your pellets, and since you are using a spring piston gun, you want a very HIGH flashpoint itme or something that isn't combustable at all. Krytech Chain lube used to be the lube of choice for some applications, now I am sure someone has come out with something more expensive and cooler sounding.

Really the purpose of lubing has sort of been bastadized over the years. Originally it was to wick mositure out of the PCP system and help prevent leading, now it's a edge to accuracy, and there are many magical and mystical formulas...

I will offer this, match shooters don't seem to do much with their pellets save buy them and shoot them. Now on the other side of the equasion many will say that FT is MUCH harder then that 10 meter stuff...
it remains to be seen.

Post by Guest »

No offense Bob, but you have just negated your argument with one sentence "look at the dispersion of weights".

Does weight not affect trajectory? If you actually take some time and do this thru a box, you will find a pattern of weights. Some high, some low. Do you not become more consistant by eliminated ALL possible varibles with any kind of shooting?

Let me make this a 2 part question.

1. Do you batch process pellets in any form or fashion?
2. What is the best way to do this?

I do not shoot 10m, but field target ranging from 10yd to 50yd.

Thank you in advance for your time again.
cqbarms

Post by cqbarms »

I don't mean to speak for Bob but I offer this.

I think he tends to mean that by doing the batching and weighing you will not statistically increase your odds of improving your score to the point of the effort.

If you were to take the time that you took to weigh the pellets and batch sort them and put that to practice, you would be better off.

As well, so you wash, dry, and then lube your pellets...that lube alone will induce a weight discrepancy far exceeding that of most in the tin weight differences.

An example: Ray loans me a bunch of pellets lubed so heavily with Lube One that they weigh on average .5 grains heavier than normal CPH’s. Now those are the same pellets that he has washed, dried, rolled around on a towel to finish drying, and then lubed up…taking about 2 hours out of his life. Now MAYBE this gives him an edge because he thinks it’s important and that builds his confidence. Maybe he being so good, he needs every advantage he can get because there is no more room for improvement. I don’t know but I will say I never saw an advantage to any of the rituals of field target…as maybe I wasn’t good enough.

I will say with certain dies of CP’s, puny’s were a problem as well as crushed skirts but that’s again another reason to buy a different pellet. CP’s were the best there were for FT, but considering all the work one seems to have to put into them now, I would question how good a pellet it is when you basically have to molest each one to make sure it’s good.

Anonymous wrote:No offense Bob, but you have just negated your argument with one sentence "look at the dispersion of weights".

Does weight not affect trajectory? If you actually take some time and do this thru a box, you will find a pattern of weights. Some high, some low. Do you not become more consistant by eliminated ALL possible varibles with any kind of shooting?

Let me make this a 2 part question.

1. Do you batch process pellets in any form or fashion?
2. What is the best way to do this?

I do not shoot 10m, but field target ranging from 10yd to 50yd.

Thank you in advance for your time again.
deleted1

Post by deleted1 »

On a milligram balance the weight of a tin of pellets will fit into the standard deviation bell curve, with the greatest number fitting within one to two standard deviations from the mean. With the milligram balance with a sensitivity of 0.0001mg plus or minus---you know what that amounts to on a grain for grain basis, squat. My boy I know my statistical analysis as a PhD in Analytical Chemistry I lived & died with numbers and statistics for 40+ years. I repeat it is silly waste of time---buy good pellets and shoot them---this reminds of the guys who used to cull .22lr rounds with a rim gauge---and after all was said and done---did their guns perform any better (NO) did they shoot higher scores (NO). If you spend $10+ for 50 rds of Match Ammo---the factory did the job for you---if you buy good pellets the factory did the job for you---don't make me laugh by considering this silly weighing of pellets to be anything other than a dilletante's recreation- Humbug!!!!!
novocon

Post by novocon »

Cranky humbug aren't we?

I get your point. So the weight differences are minimal. Do you have to come off so darn parsimonious. I am new to this world, but thanks for giving me a complex about asking a question.

To all else, I do see where Bob is right after a little searching. Thanks for all your help and time.
cqbarms

Post by cqbarms »

Good luck in your pursuits, if you ever run across a fellow named ld, Bob is a pussy cat by comparison.
novocon wrote:Cranky humbug aren't we?

I get your point. So the weight differences are minimal. Do you have to come off so darn parsimonious. I am new to this world, but thanks for giving me a complex about asking a question.

To all else, I do see where Bob is right after a little searching. Thanks for all your help and time.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I think in Bobs own unique way he was suggesting that there are better ways of getting good scores (and good pellets). What you would probably be best off doing is to batch test pellets to select a good brand (and size) - and do this in a rest. If you then think the best pellets are still too variable then try washing some and re-testing. I would be extremely suprised if you found a) any difference and b) a group anywhere near as 'bad' as you can shoot free hand.

As far as I know our top competiton air rifle shooters don't wash their pellets and they need supreme accuracy to hit the bull every time at 10M.

Rob.
scottmi

pellet prep recommended by LOGUN

Post by scottmi »

here is what LOGUN recommends.. i'll be trying this myself just to see what difference i may experience in my higher powered rifles. they cite main reason is to reduce leading. i doubt this would be an issue with my IZH-46M pistol, or plinkers that don't get the pressures so high.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/message? ... 1110848656
Bill177

Washing pellets

Post by Bill177 »

Everytime I see mention of washing pellets, I envision someone sitting at their kitchen table and washing each pellet with a doll-house sized toothbrush.

The same for lubing them. Where do you get a Barbie sized grease gun and the small fittings needed for individual pellets?

That being said - buy high quality pellets and practice - practice - practice.
cqbarms

Post by cqbarms »

Here's an interesting discussion about CP's

It seems to be the right advice, dump the CP's and go JSB....I think I may have already stated this.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/message? ... 1110998676