Air Pistol Sight Length

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Denis

Air Pistol Sight Length

Post by Denis »

Sorry if this has been covered in previous posts, but want some definate opinions on this subject.
I'm a new shooter with my sight length set at 12.5" (315 mm).
I have the ability to change this to 14" (355 mm).
Should I persist with the shorter length and the apparent steadier sight picture it gives me, or put it out to 14" and get used to this sight picture earlier in my 10 meter career.
I want to do the right thing first up and want all opinions.
How many top level shooters use a shorter sight length?
What would be regarded as the minimum for top level International shooters?
Thanks in advance, Denis.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

As you are a new shooter I would expect your biggest problems to be in holding a steady sight picture and achieving a smooth trigger release.

IMHO increasing the sight radius will make both of these problems harder to overcome.

Do not look at what the top shooters are doing on sight radius. They are training several hours a day and will have been doing so for several years. Do what is most appropriate to you at your level of shooting.
Reinhamre

Sight radius

Post by Reinhamre »

Long sight radius will make it a bit easier for you to understand what is happening when you dry fire against a white wall. And dry fire makes you feel and understand how to manage the trigger. Remember to have enough light on the sides of the front sight.

When live fire, if you do not have 1/3 of the shots in the 10, you should not make things worse by longer sight radius. It will cause more fatigue and stress. But no harm in trying, it will probably go nice for 5 minutes.
All IMHO as always.

Kent
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I'd be inclined to stick with it as is. It's a two minute job to alter it so if you fancy changing it at a later date then you can just try it and see. Plus I would argue there's no positive benefit to changing it this early on and quite probably a downside, in terms of overholding etc.

Rob.
Denis

Post by Denis »

Thanks for the advice,
Reinhamre's advice about the 30% 10's sounds good.
But, most air pistols sold would have the longer sight radius as standard,
so are we advising new shooters to shorten it?
Can a top level shooter shoot a 12.5" sight length as well as a 14.5"?
Reinhamre

Sight radius

Post by Reinhamre »

A top level shooter knows what to look for. I think all of us who has been in business for many years has tried every angel. I wish I knew as much now as I knew twenty years ago.
Everything may work, for a while, but the law of Murphy will always be your companion.

We tend to see things differently. One shooter can focus on a front sight far away yet another may have trouble if front sights are to close to the eye. The stance we may end up with can be far from all others shooters. Some like front heavy guns, other gun men likes to decide by their selves how the iron should balance in their hands.

If I was to advise anyone new in business I should say go with what you have.
Do NOT start carving on your grip just because you had a bad day. Change only what can be reversed later. If you shoot 50 with 5 shots it does NOT mean that you did everything right. Do it twice in a row and I’ll say that you are in business.

Kent
Ro

Sight radius

Post by Ro »

Hi Denis,

imho a longer sight radius will make it harder for you to learn proper trigger control. Your sight picture will enevitably be less steady, which in most cases will lead to a concious shot. So if you are just starting out stick with the short radius until you have mastered the fundamentals.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Denis wrote:But, most air pistols sold would have the longer sight radius as standard, so are we advising new shooters to shorten it?
It would obviously depend on each case but, in general, I don't think it would be bad advice.

The same could also apply to those who, for one reason or another, do not shoot as often as they should. I am such a person. I used to be a good pistol shooter but nowadays only get to shoot once or twice a month. As a result my scores, and expectations, have dropped. It is pointless me having the sights set at maximum radius, it just confirms to me that I cannot hold the gun as steady as I used to when I was shooting every day. By reducing the sight radius I see less apparent movement so can concentrate more on my technique and consequently enjoy my shooting more.
FredB

Can a top level shooter shoot a 12.5" sight length....?

Post by FredB »

Can a top level shooter shoot a 12.5" sight length as well as a 14.5"?

Well, Don Nygord managed to win the World Championship with a short barrel FWB 65, so I suppose it's possible!

FredB
deleted1

Post by deleted1 »

Generally speaking the longer the sight radius, the less forgiving the gun. When I shoot with a TOZ and then switch to a Hammerli 160---the difference becomes very apparent, at least to me. I use the Morini AP electric with the front sight at the middle position---and that had been a definite boon to my AP shooting.
sparky

Post by sparky »

Bob Riegl wrote:Generally speaking the longer the sight radius, the less forgiving the gun. When I shoot with a TOZ and then switch to a Hammerli 160---the difference becomes very apparent, at least to me. I use the Morini AP electric with the front sight at the middle position---and that had been a definite boon to my AP shooting.
I don't know if "less forgiving," is the best way to explain it. Regardless of sight radius, the gun is still as accurate, and can be shot just as accurately.

The longer the sight radius, the more apparent minor misalignments become apparent. A few things can happen in this situation.
1. The shooter can work on becoming more steady (if they can) and end up shooting some phenomenal scores.
2. The shooter can learn to accept firing a shot with minor misalignment (maybe a bad habit to get into).
3. The shooter can wear his/herself out waiting for a perfect alignment that won't happen due to their unsteadiness (obviously a bad thing).
4. Recognizing that his/her hold is shakey, the shooter can reduce his/her sight radius to a point where minor alignments are no longer apparent and the sight picture will appear perfect. This will keep a shooter from being worn out as is likely to happen in #3 above. This is probably the decision preferred by most.
Last edited by sparky on Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

Extending the physical sight radius may also change the optic requirements. Most like to have a sharp and crisp front sight (blacking it can also help). If your optics are set up for a 25m (rapid/standard/centre fire) event, these pistols front sights can be some way back compared to some free pistols and air pistols. So as well as the front sight appearing to move more, it may not be in good a focus as possible. If you are new to shooting, unless you have a crystal clear front sight and when you do look at the target it is round then optics may be an excellent investment.

One of my team mates usually plants a 550+ free pistol. He has the front sight holder at it rear most position and the sight blade again at the rear most position possible. He confesses to have a good sight picture though!

Enjoy your shooting.
Denis

Post by Denis »

I want to thank all that have replied to my question.
It has given me a lot of depth to the subject.
The only thing that has disappointed me slightly is the lack of any concrete figures to go along with the argument.
Being a technically minded person, maybe I am trying to analise it too much, but would have liked to see the numbers anyway.
Again, much appreciated and I will use this forum again for my next issue.
Cheers, Denis.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Denis wrote:I want to thank all that have replied to my question.
It has given me a lot of depth to the subject.
The only thing that has disappointed me slightly is the lack of any concrete figures to go along with the argument.
Being a technically minded person, maybe I am trying to analise it too much, but would have liked to see the numbers anyway.
Again, much appreciated and I will use this forum again for my next issue.
Cheers, Denis.
Denis,
There are never going to be any numbers as to which is right or wrong - it's down to individual preference. If you really fancy it you can work out the changes in sight angle, apparent foresight width and probably half a dozen other parameters using a bit of trigonometry. It won't however give you an answer as to what is right or wrong. I would suggest the closest you will get is to try both long and short sight radius's and see how your scores go and of course your feeling of hold stability / shot release. After a few months you should find out what works best for you. Perhaps in a year or two's time you could revisit the topic and see if things have changed.

Rob.