MG2 question on slide

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Greg

MG2 question on slide

Post by Greg »

I have recently bought a MG2 and find the slide needs a push to get it home for the first bullet to load. Has anyone else had this trouble or is it just being new it needs to work in a bit.
Thanks
Alex

MG2 question on slide

Post by Alex »

I've got about 4000 rds through my MG2 and yes, it's very important that you push that slide back all the way rearward otherwise the first round tends to not feed all ther way into chamber with some brands of ammo. I'm in the process of making a jig so as to be able to easily checker the forward portion of the slide(the "high spots" on the grooved portion) to make it a little easier.
The good news is that I can't remember the last time I had any kind of malfunction with my MG2 so long as I don't go more than a 1000 rds between cleanings. Get a brush and clean out the grit when it starts to build up and you'll OK between cleanings. Mine happens to shoot Aguila SV as well as anything(at 25 meters) except for some older Tenex and some even older Remington Match.
There are some other posts about the MG2 going back to Sept '04 on TT.

Hold center,

Alex

Post by Guest »

Try drawing the slide all the way back to the stops and dropping it rather than lowering it. All MG2s that I have seen load the first round just fine if handled so.
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

I had an MG2 for a few days this fall on trial.
If I manually retracted the slide and closed it any kind of way I would have the first round not fire.
If I allowed the slide stop to hold the slide back then used it to release the slide and let it fly I never had a problem.
I loved the gun and it's design but because of ergonomics and a little titanium in my neck I just couldn't shoot it.
Good luck!
JLK
Greg

Post by Greg »

Thanks guys Maybe I'm just being to soft on it being new.
Spencer C

Re: MG2 question on slide

Post by Spencer C »

Greg wrote:I have recently bought a MG2 and find the slide needs a push to get it home for the first bullet to load. Has anyone else had this trouble or is it just being new it needs to work in a bit.
Thanks
are you 'lowering' gently, or letting the slide stop off?

S
MG2 owner

brutal force applied

Post by MG2 owner »

I have experienced quite a few problems when firing my MG2. I am most conserned about the brutal force I have to apply to the slide to chamber a round from the "cradle".
I have to use so much force that I am afraid of breaking/bending parts. This nuicanse occurs regardless of ammo used.

I have experienced to many misfires. Often the firing pin will just push the cartridge further into the chamber.

To eject a misfired (still unfired, with bullet) cartridge is sometimes very difficult. Just recocking the hammer is not practical, either. If the hook of the ejektor slips, pluching and bending (hard!) the cartridge backwards and sideways out of the gun is the only way to clear the jam. I am very dissatisfied with this situation.

If anyone knows what can be done to helt this plaque, please inform.

Is the chamber to tight?
Will chamfering of the chamber entrance help?

Re: brutal force applied

Post by Guest »

MG2 owner wrote:I have experienced quite a few problems when firing my MG2. I am most conserned about the brutal force I have to apply to the slide to chamber a round from the "cradle".
I have to use so much force that I am afraid of breaking/bending parts. This nuicanse occurs regardless of ammo used.

I have experienced to many misfires. Often the firing pin will just push the cartridge further into the chamber.

To eject a misfired (still unfired, with bullet) cartridge is sometimes very difficult. Just recocking the hammer is not practical, either. If the hook of the ejektor slips, pluching and bending (hard!) the cartridge backwards and sideways out of the gun is the only way to clear the jam. I am very dissatisfied with this situation.

If anyone knows what can be done to helt this plaque, please inform.

Is the chamber to tight?
Will chamfering of the chamber entrance help?

The first question that an innocent bystander would ask is

you have cleaned the barrel and chamber properly, haven't you?
Ted Bell

Post by Ted Bell »

One of the problems I ran into with mine is that if you have the grip adjusted laterally more to one side or the other, the very back edge of the slide will rub against the grip, and it seems to be enough impediment to the rearword travel to cause problems manually loading that first shot. Sometimes the amount of contact is so slight as to be barely noticeable, but enough to slow the slide down. A small amount of filing of the grip solved the problem.

-Ted
MG2 owner

silly question

Post by MG2 owner »

To "guest" or "innocent bystander" who asked the (in this scenario) the inapropriate question- "was the chamber cleaned". (?!?!)

As a very experienced pistol competitior I find this question at the fringe of insultation. Or downright "non-smart".

Like when someone has bought a new PC and have problems with the internet connection. And by phoning the customer-support office are asked the question: "You have plugged in the electrical connection, have you?"

God day to you!

The stubborn slides of the MG2 seem to be a shortcoming of the construction.

And let me ask "guest"/"innocent bystander" again- You don`t own a MG2, do you? Right.
So you are a kind of a classic "back seat driver".....
David Levene

Re: silly question

Post by David Levene »

MG2 owner wrote:As a very experienced pistol competitior I find this question at the fringe of insultation. Or downright "non-smart".
Hold on a minute MG2. If you had explained that you were so experienced, or used your real name so that people might be able to recognise it , then perhaps the "Guest" would not have asked the question.

As it was, you might have been a total newcomer who had purchased the gun a month before.

It looks to me that the question was reasonable considering the lack of information available on your experience. Can I, respectfully, suggest that your response was a bit "over the top".
magyar

closing of pistol actions

Post by magyar »

Hello all,

To me it seems many are concerned that when you close the slide you are being to brutal and going to damage the gun.
The best thing any of you can do to fix these first round feeding problems is to let the slide go and have it fly foward as fast and hard as possible and then if you think it may not have chambered push the slide foward with all your force.

OK all you are now thinking that is not good for the gun but none of you have stopped to think that this is how these are designed to be closed and definately function best like this. Why so hard? The idea is to simulate a shot being fired.

You physically will never hurt a gun closing it's action as it is after all designed to take the force of the action opening and closing following a shot being fired.

So in closing if all of you new gun owners want to resolve first shot chambering or extraction problems then let the slide go and as hard and fast as possible for you can never generate the force similar to a shot and the gun does that all the time with no damage.

Be brutal, they love it.

Magyar
MG2 owner

The attitude, - not resonable assumption.

Post by MG2 owner »

To David and the "innocent bystander/back-seat-driver guest":

No. It is not fair or reasonable to assume that someone is stupid enough to not clean the chamber if chambering of a round is diffucult.
I disagree with you at that point.
It boils down tho the attitude one has to posters of this coloumn.

The best attitude is tu assume that other posters are as knowledgeable as yourself. Or more so.
The aforementioned guest tried to "solve" a problem by assuming that a post author was much more stupid than himself.
Then we can escape questions like "you have cleaned the chamber, have you?
Or from "custumer-support": you have put in that plug, have you?

Consider other posters as smart or knowledgale as yourself (or more so), please.
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

Yee, I hope you stick to your pseudonym so we all know who we are dealing with.
Hope I never become so smart so I can’t forget a plug.

Kent Reinhamre
(A guest with a name)
David Levene

Re: The attitude, - not resonable assumption.

Post by David Levene »

MG2 owner wrote:Or from "custumer-support": you have put in that plug, have you?

Consider other posters as smart or knowledgale as yourself (or more so), please.
So you would then go into fault diagnosis mode before sending out a new power supply unit only to find that they haven't plugged the original item in, would you.

By asking a question you immediately showed that you knew less than someone who already had the answer. How much less is not known.

Unless there is something to indicate the contrary, you start at the bottom and work up.
Andy Osborne

Tech support

Post by Andy Osborne »

A British judge once said "the common sense of the average man is not a commodity to be relied upon"

Whilst I agree it is infuriating to always be confronted with simplistic questions when seeking help as a third line tech support analyst i can tell you this is done for a reason, most of the time the fault is a simple one and unless you start from the beginning you will miss something.

Its all very well to assume you are talking to an experienced person most of the time but this does cause problems when you do come across a beginner.

No-one likes to look un-knowledgeable and if it is assumed that a general level of competence exists a beginner may miss out on important information because they do not like to admit they do not know something that to seasoned shooter is a basic point hardly worth mentioning.

The only stupid question is one not asked.

I'm always appreciative for any replies to my posts if they help or not, at least the person spent their valuable time trying to help.

Andy

not helping, - mocking.

Post by Guest »

Andy, you are right.

I also appreciate when somone is willing to thelp.

But "help" in the form of the question "have you cleaned the chamber?" was by me interpreted as "mocking". I still feel mocking was the intention of that "helping" post.

Re: silly question

Post by Guest »

MG2 owner wrote:To "guest" or "innocent bystander" who asked the (in this scenario) the inapropriate question- "was the chamber cleaned". (?!?!)

As a very experienced pistol competitior I find this question at the fringe of insultation. Or downright "non-smart".

Like when someone has bought a new PC and have problems with the internet connection. And by phoning the customer-support office are asked the question: "You have plugged in the electrical connection, have you?"

God day to you!

The stubborn slides of the MG2 seem to be a shortcoming of the construction.

And let me ask "guest"/"innocent bystander" again- You don`t own a MG2, do you? Right.
So you are a kind of a classic "back seat driver".....
Bummer,

30 odd years of experience with various semi-autos down the gurgler.

I must humbly apologise for daring to offer a possible line of investigation (that has solved maybe 50% of the problem feeders I have seen).
Were I not so insignificant, I might have next suggested checking that a good brand of target pistol ammo be used to see if it drops in easily to a vertical barrel (I would not need to mention barrel down) AND back out again when the barrel is inverted - to give a rough and ready check of the (cleaned) chamber dimensions.

The humble back seat driver that at the time was on someone else's computer and not prepared to use my log-in

aka (in this case guest)

aka Spencer C
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

I wouldn't worry about it Spencer. MG2 has already said that anyone considering answering his question must assume he knows as much, or even more, than they do.

How he expects to get any answers I am not totally certain.
Fred Mannis

Attitude

Post by Fred Mannis »

When I had similar problems with my Pardini SPE, the late Don Nygord suggested that the first thing I do is thoroughly clean the chamber, examine it with a glass for scratches, etc and do the 'drop cartridge into vertical barrel bit' as suggested by Spencer. I have been shooting handguns for close to 50 years, but never felt that I was being 'talked down to' or that Don couldn't teach me a thing or two (or ten) about pistols and shooting.