10M Range Lighting Question

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Luftrick

10M Range Lighting Question

Post by Luftrick »

Hi all,

I have a question for you rangemasters out there regarding the lighting standard for ISSF and USAS approved ranges. I know that the target face is to be at 1500 lumens, but I am wondering about ambient lighting both mid-range, at the firing line and behind the shooters. After shooting from a cave at the last match, and looking at every picture I could find from WC, OG and other international competitions it looks like the range itself is quite well lit. I am trying to get my local club to have their setup be a little (ok, a LOT) more in keeping with the sport standard. Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Patrick
deleted1

Post by deleted1 »

When shooting at 10 Metres, the 50' pistol and prone lights are off and all other Range lights are off. Now this is the way we have functioned at my range. If you saw the Atlanta facility at th eOlympics the lighting there was almost totally hidden, but fantastic.
Luftrick

Post by Luftrick »

I don't think that complete darkness on the range other than the target faces is the accepted standard. It seems to me (from what I have been able to find online) that most of the ranges are well-lit affairs, with fluorescent lighting, except the incandescent spots on the targets themselves.

Patrick
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Under rule 6.3.15.4.3 the light levels at the firing point and halfway to the targets must be a minimum of 300 lux with the measuring device pointed towards the ceiling illumination.

BTW, the minimum level at the target is 1500 lux (not lumens). Please don't ask me what the difference is. The target level is measured with the measuring device pointed towards the firing point.
Luftrick

Post by Luftrick »

Hi David,

Yeah, I found that rule after downloading the ISSF 2005 rules and pawing through it. A lux is equivilent to a lumen per meter squared, so about the same amount lux to lumens?

Lighting terms and measuring units are crazy with nits, lux, lumens, candelas, watts, foot-candles, etc., etc.

The important thing for me was to prove to the range officials at the club that shooting from darkness is NOT acceptable. 300 lux (I am told) is equivilent to a typically lit office with fluorescent fixtures. Inother words, pretty well lit/not dark.

Thanks to all for the input, as always.

Patrick
Spencer C

Post by Spencer C »

David Levene wrote:Under rule 6.3.15.4.3 the light levels at the firing point and halfway to the targets must be a minimum of 300 lux with the measuring device pointed towards the ceiling illumination.

BTW, the minimum level at the target is 1500 lux (not lumens). Please don't ask me what the difference is. The target level is measured with the measuring device pointed towards the firing point.
A fine point, but in part, 6.3.15.4 states The entire area must be evenly illuminated with no less than 300 lux.

The halfway-point downrange comes from 6.3.15.4.2 Measuring general range illumination (a minimum of 300 lux): The measuring device must be held at the firing point (B1) and midway between the firing point and the target line (B2) with the device directed toward the ceiling illumination (see Figure).

I have experience of contractors using 6.3.15.4.2 as a 'cop out' to provide the 300 lux at the firing points and a midway point to totally avoid the requirement in 6.3.15.4 for ...the entire area...
IMHO the ISSF would be wise to either:
- drop 6.3.15.4.2 (or at least the reference to the artificial 'midway'),
- or use an incident light reading. The visual effect at the firing points of 300 lux on a dark floor is entirely different from that on a light coloured floor.

S