Daryl Szarenski's FP

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
william

Daryl Szarenski's FP

Post by william »

Got my USAShooting magazine yesterday with his pic, holding his FP, on the cover. The pistol appears to be a Morini CM84 (is it?). I'm curious about the comp. It looks like a Hammerli AP comp with ports to vent gas forward away from the base of the bullet, and it looks after-market. What is it? While on this subject who was the actual designer of the Morini FP?
Tom Monto

Szarenski's FP

Post by Tom Monto »

I am sure Daryl will respond. When he visited our club, and gave a presentation, he had his pistols with him. As I recall, the only thing origional on the pistol is the action. I believe he said it had a Hart barrel. Everything else was custom made by the AMU.

Daryl is from Saginaw, Michigan and came up through the junior program in Saginaw. Sad to say the junior program and all smallbore shooting at his fromer club has been eliminated by some near sighted shotgun shooters. We move to another club in Saginaw who opened their arms to us and the junior program was just starting to get back into full swing when the new president saw fit to kick us out because other members were not able to use the range on the Thursday evenings we were using it (3-4 huors). He thought it was more important for casual sight in shooters to use the range. This is not an isolated case, I am familar with two other ranges where the youth are not welcome.

Where do they think tomorrows shooters are coming from.
TM
a guest

kicked out...

Post by a guest »

Hi, Tom Monto.
Sad story. Much like a blueprint from just about anywhere.

In my area informal pistolshooters (tin-canners) invaded our club when their club (practical shooting) whent into banckrupsy. We used to shoot the UIT (now ISSF) programs for practicing, our scores just under the top level.

They made a "coop" and got most chairs of the board. We were squized. Hardly anyone fires at anything better than tin cans or steel poppers at ours clubs range anymore.
Sad story.

(We have detoured a bit from the original thread, Daryls Fp, haven´t we?)
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I was lucky enough to shoot next to Daryl last week in Holland. I know his air pistol is morini (well the box was and it looked 'ordinary'), so I would have guessed that his free pistol is the same. If you're interested you can actually have a look at the results / pictures from the event, I'm just not gonna tell you which picture I'm in <g>

http://www.intershoot.nl/

Rob.
tseuG

den Haag

Post by tseuG »

Hi, RobbStubbs.

562 at the last day. Not bad. If yo practice more and spend less ours writing post you coul reach the 570 barrier.

My score was 0. I was not in den Haag this year.

All best,

tseuG
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

TseuG,
It's OK, I can get away with 'surfing' at work, they get a little funny if I bring my gun in ;)

Rob.
Luftrick

Post by Luftrick »

Great article on Szarenski, interesting that he comments that the German league he competes in is very deep with talent and fiercely contested.

The FP he is holding in the cover shot is a fine example of the personalization that these "extreme" pistols receive. The compensator looks like something that I made in high school shop, although it was not for the purpose of inhibiting recoil ...

It would be interesting to have a thread where FP shooters posted pictures of their pistols as they have them set up and explained some of the reasoning behind the mods to the rest of us. I for one, as a neophyte to the FP world, would be very interested in hearing/seeing the results of their hard-earned knowledge.
william

Post by william »

Me too!!

Post by Guest »

It would be interesting to have a thread where FP shooters posted pictures of their pistols as they have them set up and explained some of the reasoning behind the mods to the rest of us. I for one, as a neophyte to the FP world, would be very interested in hearing/seeing the results of their hard-earned knowledge.
no doubt interesting, but not very beneficial. Until you put the practice time in to start approaching world class scores, or even high US scores, you are wasting your time. these little mods did not make them a world class shooter, but are added AFTER they are a world class shooter, trying to eke out an extra point or two at the top.
william

Post by william »

Dear Mr. Guest, please climb down off your high horse. Some of us have a fascination with things mechanical and why the experts who use them choose what they do. I am a loyal Minolta camera user, but I will listen for hours to professional photographers talk about their Nikon or Canon. I'm not about to buy a Ferrari or a Lotus, but I still read the articles about them in Motor Trend. Heck, I'll even enjoy a discussion about kitchen knives - my preference is carbon-steel Sabatier. And I'm still waiting for somebody to enlighten me (us) about the device on the end of Daryl's free pistol. P.S. I plan to keep my ancient TOZ until I can shoot as well as it does ;-)
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

OK I think that is a Morini Comp which has been lightened via a lathe. Both Daryl and I were using the 84E at the same time. I did not use the comp so we talked about any effects on accuracy. It looks like the one he had a few years ago. Greg Derr
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

I am sure Greg is right, we sold Daryl a couple of Morini comps a year or so ago.

and oh William, I am sorry that you feel like I was on my high horse, but its just frustrating to me always see people looking for little secrets to take them to the top rather than using their time productively to achieve a goal. Pellet testing APs is another thing that sets my teeth on edge. If there was such thing, we would be selling them by the boatload and everyone would be on team on their way to Beijing in 2008
Luftrick

Post by Luftrick »

Actually Scott, you missed the entire point of my question by assuming that I was trying to find "little secrets to take them to the top rather than using their time productively to achieve a goal." I have been shooting competitively since the mid-'70s and I realize that nothing anyone else does really has a bearing on your personal performance. I am simply a gearhead, and like William, love mechanical things. Also I am a devotee to the shooting sports, especially the ISSF disciplines. And, I love discussing all things shooting including equipment and techniques, which is why I started the BBS in 1996 that became "Target Talk" in the first place. I would enjoy reading and seeing just how unique the free pistol becomes in the hands of those that are among the top 20 shooters in the world. Not because I think I can carbon-copy the gear and be better ... hell, that would be like thinking you could take Schumacher’s Ferrari and turn equal lap times to a F1 champion. But does that mean I am not interested in his techniques, the car, and the engineering involved?

So, I agree with William on that one, you need to step off the ladder and not assume everyone is trying to find a shortcut to greatness. I mean; I would buy a color calendar EVERY year that was pictures of the gear used by the "top guns" in pistol competition. Actually, that is a good idea.

Hey, USA Shooting ... why not make an annual calendar full of pix of actual NDT and NT members with their equipment instead of the random firearms (nice, don't get me wrong, but I'd like the match firearms better personally)? I'd order today if one were available!
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hey,

I want to know the secrets to get me to the top. All this training is cutting into my other hobbies.

Here in one secret I some times forget and I know most people tend to forget:

FOCUS on the BASICS!!!! It is actually all you really need to know.
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

Hey Patrick!, its good to see you back involved. Glad to know your out there! One never knows who is hiding behind some of these screen names.

But I think you and William missed the first thing I said, where I totally I agree with you
no doubt interesting, but not very beneficial
Luftrick

Post by Luftrick »

Hey Scott, good job with the BBS by the way, it is great that it was expanded to cover all of the international shooting disciplines over time.

Maybe you could jog my memory, but wasn't the USAS calendar for a few years full of pix of match guns used by the team members? The new calendars (although pretty) have everything from derringers to flintlock shotguns. I for one would love a more sport specific calendar. Maybe I'll offer to take pictures at the Nationals this year and give the files to USAS for the 2006 edition?

Patrick

Post by Guest »

Yes, they did do a more match specific calendar a few years ago as I recall. I have talked with Mitchell and a couple of different marketing directors, and apparently thier feedback from donors is that they prefer the historical guns.... go figure.

Glad to here your coming to the Nationals. Be nice to finally meet you.
scott