Improving the IZH35M

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
hhess

Improving the IZH35M

Post by hhess »

I purchased a IZH35M to replace the Benelli is was using. I must admit that I was very disappointed in the IZH. Everything was rough, the front sight fell off a number of times, the groups I was shooting were downright intolerable and I was beginning to wonder if I had made a bad purchase. The screws that hold the top shroud loosened after nearly every shot.

My efforts at improving the handgun paid off though. Following the comments on the web I searched for flat head Allen cap screws to replace the factory screws. A fellow shooter provided me with the screws along with a clever idea to keep them from coming loose. He suggested putting a small rubber O-ring under the head of the screw and that worked slick as a whistle. No need to use Locktite. The O-ring will need to be replaced every now and then after cleaning the gun. So having some spares on had is advisable.

A little bit of Locktite on the threads of the screw for the front sight kept it from falling off every now and then.

My last effort was directed at adjusting the trigger. With no guidance from the manual I managed to fumble through it and the trigger pull is now about 2½ lbs with a nice crisp let-off. Needless to say, my scores improved significantly.
nneely

Good info

Post by nneely »

While I've never had problems with the front sight or the trigger (after using the manual to adjust it) I do have the problem with the upper shroud screws working loose. Do you use a particular size/brand? It sounds like something I need to try.

- Nick
Jay V

Re:IZH info

Post by Jay V »

nneely wrote:While I've never had problems with the front sight or the trigger (after using the manual to adjust it) I do have the problem with the upper shroud screws working loose. Do you use a particular size/brand? It sounds like something I need to try.

- Nick
Take a look at http://www.djprecision.com for some IZH accessories including screws and barrel weights.

Jay
tenex

Post by tenex »

I bought some flat head cap screws for my IZH35 at the Nutty Company. They have a web page http://www.nutty.com/, but I bought them over the counter. I bought a dozen or so for about a buck.

Steve.
nneely

O-rings

Post by nneely »

Sorry, I should have been more precise. I have the DJ Precision screws and was curious about what kind of o-rings you were using.

- Nick
R.E. Smalley

loc-tite on shroud screws

Post by R.E. Smalley »

I still have the original screws, although they don't look too good.

I use a small drop of non-permanent loc-tite on the shroud screws and do not have problems removing them when I need to.

With quality screws and wrenches, which are kept sharp, you will not have a problem.

I remember the nutty co. in Derby(?) ct from when I lived in Milford and wally world. What a treasure that place is.

Ed
Slug

IZH Replacement Shroud Screws

Post by Slug »

You can just buy regular metric cap-head screws, but the standard length in that thread size is too long. The standard length is 10mm and you need to cut the threaded portion down to about 7mm for them to fit right. When inserted the heads sit down in the countersunk holes a bit, but mine have never come loose the way the factory screws constantly did, and yet I don't need to put any thread compound on them. The big Pete Brunelli page has the thread size listed somewhere.
~