Marlin Model 2000

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

SRichieR

Marlin Model 2000

Post by SRichieR »

We have been looking for beginner smallbore 3P rifles for our youth club. Yesterday I ran across the Marlin Model 2000. Does anyone have any experience with this rifle? Is it suitable for beginner training?
Jim B

Marlin Model 2000L

Post by Jim B »

I actually own a Marlin Model 2000L. It is a decent starter rifle, but there is limited adjustability. I would not recommend one for adults because it is kind of small, but for youth it should be alright if they are not sure if they like shooting yet. You can use the Marlin for a year or so, but they will need a better rifle eventually.

I used to use my Marlin for prone competitions, but I couldn't get a good cheek weld, and I eventually bought a Winchester 52E with a custon prone stock. I like the Marlin for the indoor 4-P because I can adjust the buttplate faster than the Winchester, and I like the fore end better on the Marlin for standing.

If you were going to purchase the Marlin for yourself, I'd say skip it and get an Anschutz or a Winchester 52, but for kids it should be alright.

Jim

Citius, Altius, Fortius
TWP

Post by TWP »

Our Club has a couple of them. They work ok for beginners.

Triggers aren't very good. Buy a Rifle Basix trigger kit for them.
dropnone

Marlin 2000L

Post by dropnone »

Both of my sons started with a Marlin 2000L Nice gun but I would suggest Anschutz instead. Model 1451 is a great beginners prone 3 or 4p at about $425.00 USD or next step up is the 1903.. about double the price. The 1451 has the same action (match 64)as the 1903. Only real difference is the length of the stock. Pricing difference as far as I know is to encourage young shooters to buy an Anschutz....makes sense.

Post by Guest »

Hello,

The Anschutz 1451 is indeed a fine rifle, but it is *not* based on the 64 action - the 1451 has an action all its' own. I have both the 1451 and the 1903. There are many differences.

The 1451 has also been discontinued. If you want one, buy it now before they're all gone.

Later,

BR
reynaldx

Post by reynaldx »

I really want to own this gun.