If I buy a Steyr LP10......

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Steve

If I buy a Steyr LP10......

Post by Steve »

And I do not like it, how easy will it be for me to sell it? If still in mint condition, how much of a hit will I take? It is impossible for me to find someone around here that has a Steyr much less any AP. So if I want to shoot one I will have to purchase it.

Thanks
Steve
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

where are you? there might be someone nearby that you don't know about.

my observation is that Steyrs & Morini's posted on this board for $1000 or so disappear within minutes..

but $300 is a lot to test fire it.

Poole
http://arizona.rifleshooting.com/
Steve

I live in St. Louis Missouri...

Post by Steve »

I would love to find someone around here that has one.

Steve
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

They hold their retail value very well, in the UK you'd get at least 70-80% of what you paid, perhaps more (?). You're best bet would be to find a gun shop that sells a selection and have a feel of it and some others. It's worth the effort to travel and handle one in the flesh - you never now how it will suit you until you try it.

Rob.
Axel

Post by Axel »

IMHO, I can't see a reason for you not to like it.
DavidO.

Post by DavidO. »

Call pilkguns, they will sell you one and give you an honest quote on the resale of the same AP if you don't want it. You will probably stick with it anyway.
Luftrick

Post by Luftrick »

Hey Steve,

I don't know where you are located, but I know (IMHO) the best way to test drive is to show up at a match and introduce yourself and make your intentions known regarding equipment purchase. 99% of the shooters I have ever run into at matches are great people and will practically insist you test their pistols, all the while explaining the pros and cons regarding it in their (sometimes not so) humble opinions. Case in point: Just this past weekend somebody let me use his Walther LP200 to shoot in the NRA Sectional AP60 match here in Maine, as I had decided my old spring gun was too much of a workout for the match. I ended up taking the Bronze (!) with the borrowed pistol and afterwards I was allowed to try a Hammerli AP40 and a Steyr LP1 CO2. A Pardini K2 and a Hammerli 480 were also offered, but I was familiar with them already, so I said thanks just the same ... I was running late getting home from the match! Needless to say, I went online and found a used LP200 for sale that night and bought it yesterday. I can imagine no better method of testing that could beat actually shooting on the line after a match to simulate the conditions you most want the pistol for in the long run, I'd say give it a shot!

Patrick

BTW: For those interested, I personally preferred the feel of the Walther LP200 over the Steyr LP1 and the Hammerli AP40, but as we all know on this board, my personal opinion is worth do-diddly to anybody else and your results will SURELY vary. Good luck!
Neil Foster

LP-10

Post by Neil Foster »

Steve,
I have an LP-10 and really like it. My experience with Pilkington (both Scott Pilkington and Warren Potter) has been nothing but outstanding. They are great to deal with, and I can tell you from personal experience they are just as fair as can be. I can say the same about Don Nygord as well. Unfortunately he passed away on December 26th. A great loss. The suggestion of going to a match is a great one. I have met some wonderfully helpful folks at the PTO's at Fort Benning. Fortunately for me Pilkington is only a two hour drive from my home.
Neil
Bob LeDoux

Take Your Problem to Pilkguns

Post by Bob LeDoux »

When I couldn't decide between a Steyr and Morini, they let me try out used guns before I bought a new one.

If you can't get to a range to try out different models, give Scott a phone call to see if he can help.
Tseug

Steyr 10 or Morini 162 ? The final solution.

Post by Tseug »

To solve this problem once and for all: simply buy both guns, and shoot them thorougly for some weeks.
Then simply keep one and sell the other. Loss of value will be negligible.
Some will prefer the Steyr, others the Morini.
You must decide for yourself.
No one can tell you which suits you the best, only you can.
Practital testing will tell.

No reason to discuss this matter further.
End of topic.
Neil Foster

Post by Neil Foster »

Rather a cavalier attitude Guest Tseug. One should never look at some ones "pocket book" and say buy both. Perhaps it is not in the budget to shell out over $2500. And then say this is an end to this discussion. As I understand it this is a forum to discuss issues and to seek advice. As far as I am concerned it could go on ad infinitum. I always glean information and insight into the discussions of interest. Please be more courteous, if you have nothing positive or helpful follow the admonition I give my middle school students, "Engage brain, before opening mouth".
Have a nice day,
Neil
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

Steve,

Is it not possible to get more people interested in shooting a real AP where you are?
Make it more social. Computers for the children and a little other activity.
Then you can buy a LP 10 or what comes in your way and share the cost. You will perhaps start a real club.
Try to get used airguns if possible. But NOT co2! And a pump!

Kent
Luftrick

Post by Luftrick »

Het Tseug, good idea! Let's take it a step further and just buy one of every pistol available on the market and make sure we get each grip size available too, and while we're at it, let's get all the available color combinations so we can compare them in person. Then simply pick the one you want to keep and sell the other 74 at a huge loss. Great plan!

"End of topic?" Yeesh. I'd love to be around when you buy your next car.
Tseug

cars and pistols

Post by Tseug »

Hi, "Luftdrick". Thanks for your post.

I own at the moment 5 APs (well, one old CO2 among them). I buy and test (most) every new top end AP that shows up. I love my AP-sport, and is always seeking for the very best. I sell the barely used guns to other clubmembers, who find more favor in some models than I do.

Cars? I own three cars, older and newer, and that fills my needs. I my country we do not transport ourselves by cars as much as in the US. We use bicycles, and our legs. And then we do not appear like "walking Hamburgers". Got that! :-).

Bach to topic: which gun to select: If ones interest in the AP sport is profound and sincere, it is a question of priority. Spend (waste) less money for unesessary items, and save some for that new AP!

You have to actually fire one to find if this is the AP for you.
Luftrick

Post by Luftrick »

My, my, my. Three cars, five pistols, such conspicuous consumption ... Are you sure you're not a US citizen?

I agree that you really need to try before you buy, but I think my suggestion of doing this at a match where you can use one for a while without actually having to purchase it is much more reasonable and likely than the "kid in a candy store" method you outline. But, hey--maybe you are very wealthy, living in a castle overlooking the peasants that work on your vast holdings, sipping cognac all the while carefully crafting your next post to counter the attack of the "walking hamburgers" with their limited shooting equipment budgets and silly questions for other shooters in the same tax bracket who might have some logical advice to offer. ;ob

Yippee! Let's have a cookout! Tseug, how do you like your burgers?
Tseug

´burgers

Post by Tseug »

Hi. again, "Luftrick".
You synonyme points to the direction of a german ancestry?
"Luftrick", or in my laguage "Luftdruck" (=airpressure)?

Wealthy, me? No, about average. But I spend much of my savings on guns (APs an FPs mostlly). More than most, probably. I do not waste my earned savings for say tobacco, and, well, not Hamburgers either.

Hambruger sounds like a german meal (Hamburg is a city in germany), but we did not eat much hamburgers here formerly. But, you know, McDonnalds have arrived here to.

If you happen to be near Frankfurt a.m., please post info about your arrival. Then we could have "Sauerkraut", and a nice chat over pistolsport.
And a jug or two of tasty german (real) beer.

Good shooting in the weekend to you all.
CraigE

if we are all honest.....

Post by CraigE »

This dialogue could go on amongst most of the vistors to this board. Good to see that at least two are open about the proclivity to consume, collect, refine, and in general, participate in the hobby. :-) CraigE
R.E. Smalley

finding a place to try an AP in the US

Post by R.E. Smalley »

Steve;

How about looking up colleges and universities that have airgun clubs?

Did you check out the NRA pages for local state and regional competitions in St. Louis and in Il, Ky, Tn?

NRA or USAS lists state maches in TN and streator, Il.

http://muextension.missouri.edu has an article on youth shooting. Maybe one of the contacts listed can help you out?

Good Luck,
Ed "Burger Meister" Smalley

I got this look from too much bier and ale, not McDonalds!
Luftrick

Post by Luftrick »

Maybe we should all participate in the First Annual TargetTalk Hamburger Open? I am going to post about this and start a new thread. Tseug, old buddy, thanks for the inspiration!

Best regards,

Patrick
Steve Lesko

Thanks for all the information.......

Post by Steve Lesko »

I am new to air pistols..but I have been shooting air rifles for many years. I have used the air rifle forums alot and found them to be very helpful and the guys in them like a big family...always willing to help.

NOw I find the same with the pistol guys...very nice and lucky to have members help newbies and promote the sport. I hope to do the same if and when I become knowledgable enough.

Thanks guys for everything!

Steve