Walther GSP/OSP options...

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
JeffUIT

Walther GSP/OSP options...

Post by JeffUIT »

OK, here's a fun question for you all. Let me set the stage with the players involved...

a) "Old" Walther OSP, with the original Walther grips, OSP 22 short upper, and light trigger.
b) "Newer" but not "Expert" Walther GSP, with Morini grip, with 22 and 32 uppers, both the 1000 and 1360 gram triggers.

Nowadays, I am trying to figure out what to do with the OSP. Can't use it for Rapid Fire, and don't feel like converting it into a bud vase for my pickup truck. So I performed a bit of experimentation on a lonely Saturday night. My discoveries are as follows.

a) The OSP upper fits on the GSP frame. The GSP uppers fit on the OSP frame.
b) Trigger units are interchangeable between both frames
c) The magazine well on the OSP frame is *smaller* and will not allow the GSP mags to fit.
d) The OSP top with 22 shorts probably won't have enough "oomph" to cock the 1000 gram trigger of the GSP.

So, what to do? I tried the "forget the shorts and make the OSP frame into a GSP" approach, but the mags won't fit. I thought about putting a red dot on the OSP and using it for indoor leage stuff, but the OSP trigger is way too light to be NRA legal.

I am out of ideas. Anybody else have an idea, short of putting the OSP aside as a quaint relic of the days that there was Olympic Rapid Fire shot with shorts?

Thanks in advance!

j
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I have done exactly that, converted my OSP to be a .22 Standard pistol.

As you found out the mags that fit the square magazine well of the GSP don't fit the rounded magazine well of the OSP BUT before the square magazine well came out Walther only had the .22 long and short and therefore made .22 magazines that fit the OSP frame. As I understand the square magazine well came out when Walther started producing the .32 calibre

And now the good part, I am fortunate to have a number of those old .22 magazines that do fit the OSP frame.

What you could do is look at converting some of the .22 short magazines, I have a number of those too but haven't looked into the logistics of converting them yet.

Regards

Mike
Mike McDaniel

Post by Mike McDaniel »

Actually, I think that the .22 short WILL work the 1000-gram trigger unit. It's my understanding that OSPs with 1000-gram triggers make marvelous 50 ft pistols for Bullseye.

I've got more than a passing interest here - I've got one of the blasted OSPs in my safe. If I had to bet, Walther will come out with some sort of a dedicated conversion unit within 6 months.
dhurt

Post by dhurt »

My old, used gsp came with a 1360g trigger and my old, used osp top will cock the 1360g trigger very well. In fact, the osp top works much better with the hevier trigger. You will have to try yours to be sure. The only down side I can see is that the short cartridges don't seem to shoot as well as the long rifles do. The lack of recoil, of the short , sure is fun though!
sparky

Post by sparky »

If you're having problems cocking the heavier GSP trigger with standard velocity .22 shorts, just move up to some high velocity stuff.