TAU-7 vs. IZH-46M

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
dhurt

TAU-7 vs. IZH-46M

Post by dhurt »

With the junior version of the tau on Pilkgun's websight, how do they stack up against the IZH in reference to "junior programs". Are both of these pistols in the same "class" as far as junior sporter class. What are the differences in the new junior programs, i.e. is there a sporter and a precision class? Will both of these pistols be applicable for young shooters as far as balance, weight, and durability? Thanks in advance
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

Even though it's a lot more expensive, the Tau junior is better for a Junior program. The Tau is ambidextrous, the IZH-46 isn't. The IZH-46 is in fact VERY right handed, as it has the form fitting competition grips. You have to find and then buy left handed grips for the IZH and I've only seen them on the internet ONCE.

Personally, I like the IZH better, but then I shoot right handed.

In a junior program this is a big deal for us since we have two left eyed new girl shooters.

Mike
Wichita KS
sparky

Post by sparky »

Um...I wasn't a math major, but if the Tau is TWICE as much and you're stuck with subpar ambidextrous grips and adequate left-handed grips for the Izh can be had for $85, I don't see how you could go wrong with the Izh.
ted

tau v. izh

Post by ted »

I just held a junior clinic that was sponsored by USA Shooting and they sent the Tau's so I got to see and use them for the first time. I coach a junior airpistol team and we use the izh's along with two FWB 80's so I can make some comparison's between the guns. I will try to sum up my opinion.
Tau-7
- lighter than izh
-grip is more user friendly
- trigger and sights are ok
- can't dry fire unless empty
- use CO2 which makes it easier for a new shooter to use, especially a yound one, as they don't have to deal with cocking mechanism.
- holds only 12 g of CO2 and is tricky to charge. We ere able to get 80-100 shots from them fully charged. You will need to recharge during a typical practice.
- Overall. if the shooter was under 14, the Tau was a better gun to use because it was light, has a good balance and grips fit much better than the izh.

IZH-46
- heavier than tau
-grips are suited better for larger hands and are right handed only (as mentioned lefties are hard to find but, are available)
-can be dry fired which is a great training tool
-ok trigger and sights
-don't have to worry about running out of air in middle of match as they are pneumatic.

Concluding comments:
- There is no one pistol that is a 'size fits all'.The tau is a good started pistol for a junior shooter who is under 14 (or 15 years old depending on their size). Having these Tau's at the clinic was a definite plus for the 12 year olds and some 14 year olds who were new and not able to have the strength to hold the heavier IZH's.When the shooter starts to shoot 60 shot matches then the CO2 capacity of the Tau comes into play and the shooter is better suited to getting a regular size CO2/CA or pneumatic airpistol. For the money, the IZH is a very good buy and I use 4 of these on my team as we have virtually no budget.
- IF you are looking for just one gun for a son/daughter,ou might want to consider a used CO2 gun as there are some out there and their prices generally are $350-500 which is in the Tau range and the junior won't have to upgrade when they physicall get bigger.
-Hope this helps some. I will be glad to answer any more quetions if yu like.
dhurt

Post by dhurt »

Thanks for the input everyone. There is some local interest in getting a youth program started, but I really don't know much of the particulars. The input on the pistols is a start so thanks for that. Ted, it sounds like your up and running, so I might ask for more hints later. Thanks again!