Walther LG300 Junior

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Walther LG300 Junior

Post by Guest »

I am looking for comments on the Walther LG 300 Junior air rifle. Does anyone have any experience with these rifles?

The intended use will be in 3P Air Rifle (Precision).

Thanks.

Post by Guest »

Went to a Bob Foth pairs clinic this past weekend. Bob had one for sale and also got to see a few in action.

They seem to be well sized for the smaller youth shooter (women and fresman/sophomore men), but the taller (5'10" and up) precision guys were all shooting the larger guns.

I'm pretty sure Bob did not drive back to Colorado with the gun ... at $725 it's a pretty good deal.
TWP

Post by TWP »

Our junior air rifle club just bought 2 of them. Only one has been taken out of the wrapper so far. We have 6 FWB P70 Jr's and about that many more shooters with their own personal P70 jr's.

So here is my opinions after working with one Walther for a month or so.

1. Very nice trigger.
2. I don't like the stock adjustments. I think a kid adjusting them could bugger them up. The screws are too small. If you have to swap rifles between a couple different sized shooters it will be a pain.
3. They have a dry fire switch that allows you to dry fire during a match. Very nice feature.
4. They are sized for smaller shooters. A fellow coach is working out the issues to increase the weight as shooters grow.
5. They shoot very well.
6. I still like the FWB P70 Jr better.
weebles

Post by weebles »

i have the full sized... i am 14 as well... Female... i got mine when i was 12

i would go for the fullsized gun, cause it was first a little heavy(if the person you are looking to buy for... is 11 and up...even 10 you can push it)... so we took out ALL of the weights, there are some hidden where the air compress cylinder thing goes

You get used to the adjustments,
i needed help for awhile from my coach,
yes there are quite a few small screws,even on the full sized....

it shoots very well...
i've tried the new feinworkbau (i have no idea how to spell it)

that one is very good, not as much kickback (vitrually none, actually none) and it does have the dryfire optition as well, like the walther,
but i have a feeling wather is much better
in my opinion...
maybe because im used to it...

oh yeah..
one other thing that is kind of bad... about the walther

kids (i've done this many times... even during competition, it caused me to get first in my category-subjunior... under 16 i think-canadian thing)

anyways, it gets used to...
so i dont know if it is the GREATEST for starting, but focus on routine if you decide to get the walther...

But as seeing you are using it for 3P
go for the new feinworkbau :P
its perfect for 3P...
Jay V

Re: Walther LG300 Junior

Post by Jay V »

Guest wrote:I am looking for comments on the Walther LG 300 Junior air rifle. Does anyone have any experience with these rifles?

The intended use will be in 3P Air Rifle (Precision).

Thanks.

We have 2 FWB P-70 jrs and 2 Walther LG 300 jrs in our junior club.

One of the biggest issues is the cost. The FWBs jrs are also no longer in production from what I have heard. The cost went way up after the CMP batch sold out. The Walther LG 300 jr from the CMP for under $800 is by far the best price on a new quality competition air rifle out there. The Anschutz 2002 jr (wood stock) is a very good choice, but significantly more money. New P-700 jrs should be excellent as well, but most likely double the cost of the Walther.

One possible issue with the Walther is reliability. FWB or Anschutz wins there in my opinion. We have had 1 cylinder problem with the Walthers, but nothing major. I have heard tales of problems with reliability of newer Walthers.

The stock and cheekpiece adjustment system is not as quick or handy on the Walther. Trigger is good. Dry-fire capability is great to have - I can't believe FWB didn't have it on the P-70s. The large 300 BAR cylinder of the Walther is nice to have if you can utilize it. I have run into problems with the front aperatures on the LGs. The standard Anschutz-style aperatures almost fit - but not quite. Most everyone has them, but the Walther aperatures are a lot harder to find.

I feel that it is better to work with a smaller gun, and weight and extend it as needed, than start a shooter with a gun that is too big. A junior gun is a good choice for a club or where the shooter is smaller than a "normal" adult male.

Overall, especially considering the price, the LG jr is hard to beat.

Jay V
AIAC
www.aiac-airguns.org
weebles

Post by weebles »

i grew up perfectly fine with a bigger gun...

yes, FWB does have a dry fire system... and is extremely great for 3P i think thats its main purpose... my friend has one.

the new walther... now it the "new" model.... they just changed so you don't have cylinder problems...

yes i know someone, at calgary... Niki Bergon (if you know her, she is from Saskatoon, with Cory Niefer

anyways, hers blew off

yes, the 300 bar.. is very good...

walther LG300 junior

Post by guest »

I own a walther LG300xt wich is about the same as the junior model, the walthers are great rifles, I shoot compition whith the gun and it ceepes a real good group. These rifles also have a dry firing system on the gun that no other copany has.
GA Guest

Walther LG 300 Jr for Sale

Post by GA Guest »

As new Walther LG 300 with extra air cylinder. $800.00 Shoots great and very accurate.

From the CMP web page;
http://www.odcmp.com/Programs/JrAirRifles.htm
Walther LG300 Junior Air Rifle .177 cal

"WALTHER LG300 AIR CYLINDERS. The CMP now has air cylinders for Walther LG 300 Junior air rifles available for sale. Any CMP affiliated organization that purchased a Walther LG300 Junior air rifle from the CMP that would like to have an extra cylinder can order them from CMP. The cylinders cost $110.00 each plus $4.00 shipping & handling."

All this for only $800.00 / (seven months old and as new condition)

Roy McClain
Spalding County Shooting Sports
4H Project S.A.F.E. Coach / Volunteer
(678) 772-8185 cell