Cesare Morini Matchguns MG2 Standard Pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
buzz

Cesare Morini Matchguns MG2 Standard Pistol

Post by buzz »

These are new to Australia and I was wondering if people have tryed them and what they thought, especially compared to the cm22.
Also I have never seen a tube fed mag before are these reliable?
Thanks
Greg
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

Greg,
I had one on a 3 day trial late summer.
I currently shoot a Unique DES69 and was looking for a new gun.
I thought the MG-2 was the trickest most advanced looking pistol I had ever seen.
I had no problems with the tubular magazines and no functioning problems of any kind.
I have had a 3 level cervical fusion so my neck isn't as flexible as most peoples. There was something about the grip angel, even though it is adjustable, that made my neck extremely uncomfortable after about 30 rounds.
So...after really wanting to be successful with the gun I had to send it back.
JLK
deleted1

Post by deleted1 »

I had one of the first imported by the late Don Nygord---It was a beautiful gun with all the bells and whistles you could want---with one problem the tubular magazine catch---when the gun cycled and was supposed to release one round to feed into the chamber ---it consistently released two or more rounds causing the wildest jams you ever saw. The jams could not be cleared unless you removed the barrel of the gun----I cannot say much more than Don Nygord refunded the total cost of the gun even though Morini (???) authorized a newer gun---supposedly they have fixed the magazine problem---if so it's a beauty---but don't put a dot on it as it is a total clunk with the dot. Personally I have no idea which or what Morini made this gun but IMHO the MG series are clunkers and belong in museums along with the CM22 ( which Morini again???) and the ill-fated much heralded CM32. Your Unique is a rare beast, I had one also and when they went out of business I sold mine---rats deserting the sinking ship syndrome again. The only Morini gun (????) I own is the electronic trigger AP.
Scott H.

MG2

Post by Scott H. »

I also bought one from Don Nygord, whom I'll miss. I had no problems with the magazines, but did have a little problem getting the trigger properly adjusted. Don was a master at giving advice over the phone, and the problem was resolved. Obviously, you'll need to trust your dealer. I got the mount for a scope, but never bothered. It feels pretty good as is, and I've used it with some success, for me, anyway, as a standard pistol.
Mike Taylor

MG2 experience

Post by Mike Taylor »

I've had my MG2 since July 2004. As you may be aware, the cartridge feeding mechanism is a little more complex than most other "Standard" pistols. Early on, I had a failure of the Bullet Insert Lever, which failure reduced the pistol to single-shot only capability - not too useful in the 20 and 10 second stages. My dealer replaced the part for me. I have had no further failures, but I am still at less than 2000 rounds through the gun. Other contributors (European?), with more experience with the MG2, claim they are still experiencing failures of this part every few thousand rounds. I can only carry on and "wait and see".
There are several features that I particularly like about the MG2:
-The ease of adjustability of the sights. Not only are there pictographs right on the sight to show which way to turn the adjustment screw to achieve a particular change, but the two primary adjustment screws, windage and elevation, are knurled and large enough to turn with one's fingers.
-The provision of a dry-fire mechanism that intercepts the hammer after it is released but before it strikes the firing pin. Just cycle the slide to recock the hammer for another "shot".
-The ability to adjust the rake angle and yaw angle of the grip relative to the barrel.
I am enjoying this gun as much as any I have owned (and I've owned at least nine other models of good quality "Standard" pistols over the past 44 years - but not a Morini CM22, sorry to say).
Now the tubular magazine does require a little extra care when charging rounds into it. The rim of each successive round must slip under a pivoting catch or hook (sort of like the hook of an extractor). If you are inattentive and release your finger (or thumb, as the case may be) before the rim has been grabbed by the hook, all the rounds in the magazine will spew out before you can say "zzzt". And unless you have the magazine tube pointed into your gun box, you're looking at a brass "rainbow" arcing onto the ground in front of your shooting position.
One additional concern: Because of the afore-mentioned complexity of the cartridge feeding mechanism, the chances of clearing a jam and continuing during the 20-seconds series (assuming you have used up your allowed refires) is pretty slim. In fact, I plan to declare a malfunction if I have a feeding problem during the 150-seconds series.
Others have commented (favourably and unfavourably) on the MG2 (both here and on the Bullseye-L forum), so a check of the pertinent archives will provide additional information.
dhurt

Post by dhurt »

I just got a slightly used MG 2 from Don Nygord. I picked it up from my dealer the day after his passing - Don was a very helpful man to talk with over the last 16 years. The MG 2 is a really cool looking pistol! That in itself doesn't make it a better pistol, but it can't hurt? I have had little experience with it, so my comments can't be taken too seriously, but I have put about 200 rounds through it, and it did stovepipe once. Otherwise I like the pistol fairly well. Earlier today, I shot 30 slow fire shots with the MG 2 and then 30 shots slow fire with my CM 22. The weather was a little cool, 40 degrees Farenheight, but I managed exactly a 96 average with the MG 2 and exactly a 96 average with my CM 22? Not much learned there except that the MG 2 is holding close with my beloved (sometimes despised) CM 22, and after very little practice. The triggers are a little different, the CM 22 very crisp and the MG 2 crisp but different? It kind of reminds me of my Morini 162 EI trigger, maybe that is a good thing, since I have been getting used to the electric tigger. I think the MG 2 (with the extra weights) jumps a little more than my steel CM 22 during recoil. I will have to do much more testing in sustained fire and in rapid fire to determine if I like one better than the other, though I seem to like both right now! After all, they both are pretty cool looking!
Greg

Post by Greg »

I'm surprised what you said about the jump after firing. In there discription the makers are trying to say its up to 50% less recoil, so maybe thats not entirely true. I'm a little worried about everyone saying they have had trouble with the feeding, not much good if you can't continue on a malfunction. Thanks guys for the input, more to think about before I go and get one.
MAS

Matchguns MG 2 vs Morini CM 22

Post by MAS »

Recently, I had the opportunity to testfire for a few days the first Mg 2 that arrived in this country.
And, since 1999 (that is 6 years!) I have owned, fired (and frequently damned) a stell version Morini CM 22, from the very first production lot.

The MG 2 showed some ammo brand preferenes (and refusals). Once the right ammo was found, it did reasonably well. A couple of feeding jams, and some insufficient ejections of empties (sideway stovepipes). But probably not more than other similar and new off the shelf match .22 autos. Those jams were a litle difficult to clear, though.

Subjectively, I felt the MG 2 recoiled more than my CM 22 steel version. Or at least there was more muzzle lift, - up and to the left. My CM 22 lifts its muzzle almost directly upward, and markedly less so than the MG 2.

The grip of the MG 2 features a very low thumb rest, which I think contributes to the leftward component of movement during recoil ( less suport from the left side (for a right handed user).

The MG2 supplied to me had the standard counterweight plates attached. Suplementary weight plates are available, which will turn the MG 2 more frontheavy. And that will cause the muzzle to rise less, and probably shorten recovery time.
(Accessory weights, 3 steel slabs w/rail, are also available for the CM 22, a full 3 ounces! This brings the total weight of the CM 22 steel version up to 1400 grams, the upper ISSF limit). But then this frontheavy gun becomes far too frontheavy for most users).

As issued, I think the CM 22 steel version is hard to beat for the rapidfire courses.
If you happen to own a reliable specimen, that is.
Mine is 6 years now, and is just about to come of age...

By the way, the trigger of the MG 2 was "different", but interesting. It takes some time to get used to, but I liked it.
But then, the trigger of the Morini CM 22 is very good too. Like all mechanical Morini triggers I have tested.

The adjustments of the triggers of the MG2 and the CM 22 show some resemblance. With locking screws! Good.
Cesare was involved in the construction of both, I recon. Good!
Francesco

CM 22M and MG-2

Post by Francesco »

There are some extra information to add at your discussions:

Cesare Morini quited Morini Competition Arm S.A. in 1995

Morini Competition Arm S.A. is in Bedano (Switzerland), is working as usual and produces all CM series (CM 162EI, CM 162MI, CM 84E, CM 22M, CM 32M)

Cesare Morini is driving with partners the Match Gun factory in Parma (Italy) where they produce the MG2

Cesare Morini was never involved on the project of the CM 22M and the Match Gun MG2 went on the market at least 3 years after the CM 22M

The only project Cesare Morini was driving effective at Morini Competition Arm SA was the CM 102E the standard pistol with electronic trigger and tubular magazine. The big reason why Cesare lefted Morini Competition Arms was the project of the CM 102E. The pistol was too complicated, too many parts because of the tubular magazine and too many malfunction. The project was driving the factory on bankrupt and very close to the death of Morini Competition Arm. When Cesare's partner decided to stop financing the project, Cesare left the factory.

Only small details to let everybody understand the difference on the two pistols.
dhurt

Post by dhurt »

Yes MAS, I also think the thumb rest is too low. I might have to putty it up since my thumb wants to move up during trigger squeeze. I hate to putty since the grip is very pretty and otherwise feels great.

Francesco, please let us know when some of the .32's come to the U.S. I can only imagine how nice the trigger will be!
Fjodor

Francesco: what is the staus of the CM 32?

Post by Fjodor »

My CM 32 has been in for repairs for 7 months. It was made during the first production run according to its very low serial number.

I have been told that the factory has made some improvements on the CM 32. Can you please inform us about the nature of these changes?

The importer told me my gun would be upgraded to match the newer guns.

I miss the CM 32, because it was a lovely shooting iron for rapid fire. Moderate muzzle lift, and a god trigger. Very heavy, and CG far up front.

There were some malfunctions, though. And broken magazines, broken firing pins etc. And the bolt (screw) that fixed the slide-asembly to the underframe did always work itself loose. Torqing it down/ Locktiting it would not help much. I think a locking screw is adviceable for this one too.

But if you (Morini factory) have remedied these flaws (which I believe you can, Francesco) this would become a most desirable gun.

(How could the shooting public live without Morini guns, Francesco?)
Francesco

Where is your pistol Fjodor

Post by Francesco »

The changes on the CM 32M was on the magazine, on the extractor, on the ejector and on the firing pin. The delay in producing the CM 32M is the way the barrel is produced. Now it seams that Lothar Walther agrees to produce as we want. The first series was adjusted barrel by barrel at the factory. We can't accept to recive parts not finished and that's is why it takes so long. Hand adjusting barrel by barrel doesn't give the possibility to change barrels in pistols. The first new .32 barrels are planed beginning of february 2005.
Have you recived your pistol because we don't have here .32 to repair.
ParabellumImports

Post by ParabellumImports »

Just on the topic of the Bullet Insert Lever, Matchguns have advised us (Australian Agents for Matchguns) that there has been a revision of the design of that part and that they are confident that they have solved the problem. The original part would fail on the thinner side of the pivot pin, but even when broken some guns would only exhibit symptoms some of the time making it a tricky problem to isolate.

Matchguns will be supplying us with replacement parts (new design) for all MG2's imported by us in 2004.