Passing of Don Nygord

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Passing of Don Nygord

Post by Guest »

Donna Nygord has posted a note on their website that Don passed away Sunday December 26.

Post by Guest »

see note below, that is why the board is black
VladB

Post by VladB »

Rest in peace Don.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

RIP Don and Condolences to Family.

Don was always straight with me, a fount of information, and sincerely andf truly interested in equipping all of us with the best knowledge and best equipment available.

In accordance with my personal spiritual belief system, I will light candles and pray for the repose of his eternal soul.

In accordance with my personal secular belief system, I will humbly and respectfully dedicate my training efforts for the Top Gun match to Don. I am re-reading his educational notes and informational web postings in an effort to pay homage to his skills, wisdom, and dedication.

A great loss to the community. We could all do much worse than to aspire to his level of commitment and achievement.

Steve Swartz
F. Paul In Denver

Post by F. Paul In Denver »

"For everything lost, something wonderful remains"

Unknown
jhess

Post by jhess »

Don Nygord was a gentleman. With patience and understanding he was always willing to help a new shooter. I will miss his gentle manor.
Alex

Passing of Don Nygord

Post by Alex »

I try to explain to non-shooters about what great people make up the paper punching fraternity. If I could of only introduced them to Don I could of saved a lot of talk. Don was the best of the best. One of those competitors that made you feel good when he won, because you knew he deserved it.
I have a pair of pellet sizers that Don told me would solve all my problems back in '83, if memory serves me correctly. They're like two little black jewels. I'll will will them to some deserving soul when I pass on. Back in September of this year when the RF bug struck again, after a 24 year vacation, I purchased a new gun, sight unseen, on but a few words of advice from Don.
I hope to shoot next to him again someday, where all shots break automatically, with that scary little feeling that all perfect shots bring, and all are center shots. Until then I'll keep him and Donna in my prayers.

We are deminished.

Alex
deleted1

Post by deleted1 »

As an old timer I had many dealings with Don and I will always appreciate his candor, honesty and good will. His patience in listening to problems and his solutions often involved sending the gun to him---never had a charge not even the return shipping fees on many transactions. He was a true gentleman and a personality that I will miss. Rest in Peace my friend and may the angels watch over you---You Are Missed---
Grzegorz

Post by Grzegorz »

I know the Name, I had never possibility to know the Man personally. That is the moment we start to know the Man - for me - from your warm, kind and sorrowfull words about Him. Just...

Niech spoczywa w pokoju wiecznym!

Grzegorz
Lublin, Poland
PatrickRowling

R.I.P. Don

Post by PatrickRowling »

I was deeply saddened to hear of Don's illness, and even more so today to learn of his passing. When I first started creating my Air Pistol Home Page (the site that gave birth to this bulletin board) I contacted Don to request an interview for the new website. He was, as always, most gracious in answering my questions and over the next several months I worked with him to create the webpage for his business. I continued to maintain the site for a couple years until I no longer did freelance work. Don was a great guy, a true gent and a pleasure to work with. Unfortunately, we never met in person … but that did nothing to diminish the respect and admiration I held for him. I sent my old AirMatch 600 to him when it stopped functioning and he repaired it, though not to his standards. It worked fine when I got it back, but he still wouldn't take a penny for his services. "That darned thing," he chuckled "stopped being a process and became a challenge!"

I sent an email to him last week when I found out he was ill, but alas, it seems it was too late for him to reply. I hope that his family and friends are in some way comforted by the fact that he is no longer in pain, though their personal loss is great. My deepest and most heartfelt condolences go out to them. For the rest of us who were lucky enough to have been touched in some way by him; either through friendly business dealings, his expert coaching, or shooting alongside him during his long and fruitful career as a top international competitor, there is a empty spot on the firing line that is not likely to ever be filled.

God bless and God speed Don, you will truly be missed.
JoeG

a great loss......

Post by JoeG »

I was very shocked and saddened to first hear of Don's illness and now his passing. I will miss our conversations and communications. His generosity in sharing of his experience and knowledge was always greatly appreciated. When one of my second hand air pistols persisted with an intermittent problem, he asked me to ship it to him one more time. He then took it along with him to the annual German Gun show and got the company to give him a brand new replacement. Don was a true "gentle"man and I will miss him as a friend. God bless you Don.
Michael09

Don Nygord

Post by Michael09 »

You will be missed by all of us.
dps1226

Don Nygord

Post by dps1226 »

Never met face to face but Don personally set my LP5 Trigger and rejoiced along with me, my first 540 .... I cannot imagine a man with more class than he. World Record Holder and Champion ,taking time to build the base and share. Share his time and knowledge with those that may, or may not . be able to attain his greatness. I am personally the better for our distant meeting. I am sure there are others that benefited as I ....... Thank You Don ...... Thank You God for the Opportunity and Blessing

Obituary from "The Daily Courier"

Post by Guest »

Donald C. Nygord
Donald C. Nygord passed away Sunday, Dec. 26, 2004. He was born in Pocatello, Idaho, on June 13, 1936, the son of Oscar and Eleanor Nygord.
He is survived by his wife, Donneta S. Reed Nygord “Donna” of Prescott; his daughter, Michelle A. Matson of San Diego, Calif.; his sister, Janet Livingston of Eatonville, Wash.; also his brothers and sisters-in-law and many nieces and nephews.
Don will be missed by his family and many friends in Prescott, friends at the Pendleton Center, the Yavapai Jeep Posse, the U.S. Post Office on Miller Valley, and by his many friends around the world – all who added sunshine to his days.
An accomplished target pistol marksman, he competed nationally and internationally, winning many national championships and setting records. He won the Gold Medal at the 1981 World Air Pistol Championship in Santa Domingo and many PanAm Gold Medals. He was named “Pistol Shooter of the Year” by the U.S. Olympic Committee in 1985. That year he won seven of the eight possible gold medals in his events at the PanAm Games.
Don was a member of the U.S. International Shooting Team from 1979 until 2002. He competed on the U.S. Shooting Team at the 1984 Olympic Games in Los Angeles, Calif., and the 1988 Olympic Games in Seoul, Korea. He was very proud to represent the United States at those games. He was a Champion. This world will miss you, Don Nygord!
Services entrusted to Heritage Memory Mortuary.
Ross Mason

Don Nygord

Post by Ross Mason »

A couple of years ago I approached Don to use some of his information in his coaching articles I sourced from

http://www.nygord-precision.com/notes.htm

I used these in a shooting journal / diary I have put together that includes some of Dons notes. He willingly gave the permission.

I particularly liked the article on Training Plans.

Good things will last.

Ross Mason
Dumois

Rest in peace, amigo

Post by Dumois »

It is with deep sorrow that I now learn of Don's passing.

I had the opportunity to compete against Don in Mexico's Benito Juarez Championship, 1990-91. After the competition, on Don's resquest, we went for dinner along with other shooter's to one of my favorite restaurants in Mexico City, Bellinghausen. A very nice evening indeed.

Never will I forget the camaraderie and gentle ways of Don Nygord, a man I will always call my friend. God be with you, amigo.

Luis A. Dumois
luis@dumois.net
Guadalajara, Jalisco, México