Where can I get drawings to make a wood rifle case?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

f1gpstar

Where can I get drawings to make a wood rifle case?

Post by f1gpstar »

Where can I get drawings to make a wood rifle case? And also the hardware. Has anyone made one? What wood works best?

Thanks in advance
Bill

f1gpstar@yahoo.com
Bill177

Display or real-world use?

Post by Bill177 »

Many fine firearms are displayed in custom wooden cases. Most with brightly colored velvet padded linings. Great for the personal library to show off the double barrel Krieghoff rifles you prize or perhaps an early Holland & Holland or two that you enjoy. Red lining is the best, as it contrasts with the green felt of the typical billiard table.

That being said, if you are traveling with your guns - use aluminium with hard corner supports and foam innards.

Myself, I recently started work on a tiger maple box for my Pardini K2. It will not be leaving my home - the plastic box it came in is for that.

I use no plans when I construct things - just "by eye" it and away I got. Basic measurements for a rifle box could come from any successful metal case. Be sure to add compartments (must secure easily) for parts, tools, and ammo. Spend some time in the sketch and design phase and you will have something that is a real show piece, yet still functional. Use brass or silver corners - gold is way too soft (LOL). It will be functional (but you'll be want to chance scratching it) and worth a few brags at the local shooting club when you show up with it.

As to the wood to use? That depends on how you want it to appear. Mahogany looks great, oak is strong and functional, cherry is fine looking, hard maple is both, and curley or tiger maple is the king (in my opinion). You could also mix in exotics for the compartments and drawer fronts. Even a little venier or mother of pearl for inlays.

There is one drawback to all this, however. You will spend more time making the cases than shooting the guns. But, they are rewarding to behold.

Now ...... go dream.
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

He may be looking for plans for the wooden cases smallbore shooters in the US (and elsewhere?) used to use. They had room for most of the "stuff". I never owned one but shot in an indoor pistol league back in the '70s that followed a junior smallbore program. Most of them had these wooden rifle boxes which I thought were really neat!
JLK
Bill177

Rifle box

Post by Bill177 »

Never even thought of that. I used to have a nice one - many years ago. I carried my rifle (Winchester 58D) in a soft case and my box with all the "stuff" in it - including my Unertl 20x scope. Good times back then - 50s and 60s! Wood is a class act, but the plastic and aluminium stuff is more durable.