Pardini SP firing pin

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
trinity

Pardini SP firing pin

Post by trinity »

I have had my Pardini SP for 2 years and some, and have been shooting it quite a bit. More and more, I am getting feeds where the bullet doesn't quite seat horizontally, and so the chamber won't close fully.

I finally figured out the problem tonight, it is the firing pin, it isn't going all the way back in after it fires a shot, and so the next round hits the lip of the firing pin, and so it can't go fully horizontal and complete the feed.

I need to remove the firing pin to clean it, because I have tried cleaning it without removal, and it isn't helping. So I see two pins, one holding the extractor, and the other, presumably, holding the firing pin. I have managed to remove the extrator pin, but the one holding the firing pin won't come out, it moves, just won't come out.

So my question is, is there a trick to removing it? Does the firing pin have to be a specific position to allow the pin to come out? And how hard do I have to hit the pin? Also, does the pin come out from the top or the bottom side? I got the extrator pin to come out the top, but I didn't try the other way around.

Thanks!
phil

Pardini SP feeding

Post by phil »

After 2 years using a Pardini SP, i never had to remove the firing pin for cleaning. I have seen a Pardini SP causing feeding problems with Eley ammo having their new bullet shape (Xtra, Match, Tenex). What ammo do you use ?
trinity

Re: Pardini SP feeding

Post by trinity »

phil wrote:After 2 years using a Pardini SP, i never had to remove the firing pin for cleaning. I have seen a Pardini SP causing feeding problems with Eley ammo having their new bullet shape (Xtra, Match, Tenex). What ammo do you use ?
I am using Eley Practice, but it isn't the shape of the bullet that's causing my problem. My problem is caused by the tip of the firing pin sticking out when it should be retracted inside. So since the tip is sticking out, the back edge of the case hits it, and so the bullet cannot fully seat in the receiver. After hitting the firing pin hole with Gunk and it seemed to fix it for a few shots, but it stopped working again shortly. So I figure I need to pop the firing pin out to have a look to see what the issue is.

Post by Guest »

I don't think it matters which way the pin comes out, but one does have to give it a fairly sharp rap using the appropriate sized punch.

I'll bet the the firing pin is broken and jammed out. I've had a broken firing pin in my SP and HP (that's probably why the tool/spare parts kit has an extra firing pin in it) and they have accounted for the ONLY problems I've had with them.
trinity

Broken firing pin

Post by trinity »

Anonymous wrote:I don't think it matters which way the pin comes out, but one does have to give it a fairly sharp rap using the appropriate sized punch.

I'll bet the the firing pin is broken and jammed out. I've had a broken firing pin in my SP and HP (that's probably why the tool/spare parts kit has an extra firing pin in it) and they have accounted for the ONLY problems I've had with them.
Yup, it is broken, finally when I was working on it tonight, I noticed the tip was coming out further and further. So I got a pair of tweezers, and the tip just came right out.

So now, to remove the pin holding the firing pin, I just have to hit it hard? Because I have tried, but I am nervous about hitting too hard, does the whole pin have to be out for the firing pin to come out?
Tom

Couple things to check when it goes back together

Post by Tom »

Hi,

Couple, three things to check/remember when you get your new firing pin and get it back in.

1) Before you fire the pistol, check to see if the new firing pin hits the barrel at it's forward travel limit. Some hit, some don't. Always check. Only takes a few "follow-through rounds" to leave a dent.

2) Make a habit of changing the recoil and firing pin return spring on at least a yearly basis. I change mine every 5000 rounds which is about 2X a year.

3) Don't dry fire without the plastic plug. If you dont have one, call Don and get one or two.

Happy shooting,

Tom

Post by Guest »

Though it's a little unnerving (if you don't gunsmith for a living, and I don't), a sharp rap usually gets it going then it's much easier to finish. I don't have any experience accidentally bending pins, but I think you could easily bend a pin. I usually tap the whole pin out. Getting it back in is sometimes tricky - one has to hold it exactly parallel/concentric so as not to bend the pin or peen the hole - go gently here (small fingers or tweezers help - try to be in an area where the pin can be found easily if dropped on the flor or goes flying...). Tap start the pin with the mallet alone (unless you have three hands...) Once started the rest is easy. Oh, be sure to make sure the "notch" in the pin is over the pin hole (it will make sense when you see it - the pin retains the firing pin via the notch in the firing pin.
trinity

Post by trinity »

Anonymous wrote:Though it's a little unnerving (if you don't gunsmith for a living, and I don't), a sharp rap usually gets it going then it's much easier to finish. I don't have any experience accidentally bending pins, but I think you could easily bend a pin. I usually tap the whole pin out. Getting it back in is sometimes tricky - one has to hold it exactly parallel/concentric so as not to bend the pin or peen the hole - go gently here (small fingers or tweezers help - try to be in an area where the pin can be found easily if dropped on the flor or goes flying...). Tap start the pin with the mallet alone (unless you have three hands...) Once started the rest is easy. Oh, be sure to make sure the "notch" in the pin is over the pin hole (it will make sense when you see it - the pin retains the firing pin via the notch in the firing pin.
Thanks to everyone for their help, I ended up taking it to the dealer where I bought the pistol (he isn't too far away), and he tapped it out just using a small nail. So now I know there is no trick to it, I think I will be able to do it next time.