How do you get in the Olympics & myriad of other questio

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

txnlegacy

How do you get in the Olympics & myriad of other questio

Post by txnlegacy »

Hello!

I am new to the boards, but am extremely glad to have found them!

My 14 yr old daughter has Olympic dreams, but how to go about making them a reality? It is extremely difficult to find information.

She has a high80/low90 rate in ATA trap. She is currently the TX 2004 Lady's Handicap Champion. Her 4H group competed in the SCTP at the state level & went to nationals. In the SCTP they were 23 out of 46 teams. Her personal score was 183/200. Her team did win national runner-ups in the Hall of Fame Shoot as well as wiining the State title in the Hall of Fame Shoot.

She is a freshmen in high school and was recently accepted onto the varsity rifle team. She shoots a 95 in prone and low 90's in kneeling & standing.

She has been invloved w/shoioting for almost 2 years.

My questions are:

1. How do we contact someone at the state level re: Junior Olympics?

2. We are in TX, but live closer to New Mexico & Arizona than most of the TX clubs that have international trap. Can someone provide me with a list of international trap facilites in this area?

3. We are thinking of going to the fall selection match, is this a good opportunity to see how it all works?

Thanks in advance for any & all feedback
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

Start by contacting the folks at USA Shooting, the National Governing Body for Olympic shooting in the USA. Their site is http://www.usashooting.com/usashooting.cfm
txnlegacy

Post by txnlegacy »

been there, done that already.

I am looking for a little more specifics if possible

thank you
Sawyer

what to do

Post by Sawyer »

Your daughter is now old enough to specialize in whatever kind of shooting she likes best, of the games she has tried. So if she has Olympic dreams, you and she should pursue either Trap or Rifle-- one or the other, not both. USA Shooting should certainly be able to tell you if there are any facilities in your part of the country that are set up for International trap. However, it is possible to gain proficiency using just the American version, and make the adjustments to technique later to adapt her game to International, although it's not ideal. Lloyd Woodhouse at USAS is the person to contact.

Rifle is much easier. Precision Air rifle translates well to smallbore, so it makes great training for SB. And most people can find 10 meters somewhere on their property to shoot Air rifle at the International regulation distance.

Certainly, you should find a club that will support your interest in the International games, but that's often easier said than done. On the rifle side, some clubs have people who are well versed and will welcome you, other clubs will not share your interest. So while you and your daughter will be better off if you have mentors, one CAN go it alone and train alone if necessary. But that takes a REALLY dedicated kid. If at all possible, find someone who will shoot with her, even if they are nowhere near her ability.

Finally, go to the CMP web site-- http://www.odcmp.com
--and follow the links to find the CMP state Jr. Directors for the states you are nearest. Those folks can point you toward coaches and resources and matchecs, etc.

Post again if you run into dead ends. Hope this helps,

Larry Sawyer
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

It might be a good idea to email USA Shooting with questions about New Mexico etc. The club portion of the website isn't always up to date. I know ours isn't that great. Depending on who is winning matches and who is going to advanced matches, they may have better information.

Mike

Wichita KS
durant7

Post by durant7 »

How went your search to find a coach for your daughter's interest. I read the post a bit late but I am also in Texas. Can't talk to shotgun at all but it just so happens you live closer to the State CMP director than I do.

See http://www.brenzovich.com/educationtraining.htm

I would be interested in knowing what you find out. Two other TX folks you should talk to is Tom Rawlings and Pat Muckelroy. They are very knowle If that does not work then just talk with Martin Edmondson at USAS and he will give you more contacts and you can chart your own course. The folks are out there, you just have to find the network.
durant7

Post by durant7 »

How went your search to find a coach for your daughter's interest. I read the post a bit late but I am also in Texas. Can't talk to shotgun at all but it just so happens you live closer to the State CMP director than I do.

See http://www.brenzovich.com/educationtraining.htm

I would be interested in knowing what you find out. Two other TX folks you should talk to is Tom Rawlings and Pat Muckelroy. They are very knowle If that does not work then just talk with Martin Edmondson at USAS and he will give you more contacts and you can chart your own course. The folks are out there, you just have to find the network.