Would the Hammerli SP20 be good for Std & RF events?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Jan

Would the Hammerli SP20 be good for Std & RF events?

Post by Jan »

My friend has a Hammerli SP20 for sale & I am thinking about buying it. It has been loaned to me for a few months now and I really like the way it feels. The best part about this pistol is that after 1000's of rounds of CCI, Winchester, Aguila, Wolf, Remington, Federal, Lupua I have never had any feeding or firing problems (no feeding jams, extraction problems or dud loads).

Before I complete my purchase I want to know what everybody thinks of this pistol for Int's Standard & the "new" Rapid Fire?
Mike Taylor

Post by Mike Taylor »

You like the feel of the SP20 and it has proved reliable. That, coupled with its adjustable trigger, sights, and grip, and its low bore line, makes it is eminently suitable for Standard Pistol. For Rapid Fire....? At this stage, before the serious competition using the new rules has begun, it has to be as good a contender as any other. I'll go out on a limb and predict that no single pistol will dominate the new Rapid Fire. As with any other ISSF pistol event, the shooter will be the determining factor, not the pistol.
Jimmy B.

Post by Jimmy B. »

Hey,
Anytime you can borrow a pistol and try it out for a few months before purchasing is an ideal situation. It sounds like you've found a good reliable pistol that fits your shooting technique well. I'd jump at it and thank your friend for his generous arrangement.
Enjoy!!
Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

Just a word of caution - while Standard Pistol is normally shot with a 6 O'Clock or sub-6 aiming, Rapid Fire is normally shot with the pistol sighted for center hold. I mention this because there are quite a few example of the SP-20 with a minor flaw - the rear-sights cannot be adjusted down enough to get a proper "center of the target" aiming at 25 meters. The solution is often to get a taller (or build up the) front-sight.