Olympic counting method?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
coolhandluke

Olympic counting method?

Post by coolhandluke »

Hello,

please forgive a newbie a certainly stupid question. I am shooting for some months in a local club here in germany (AP) and am getting used to the normal counting method of full integer rings. Now i understand that at the big competitions there is this other method where you have decimal points, and the maximum score is not 10, but 10.9? I am really confused now, especially when trying to put my score in relation to taht of the top shooters. Lets say for simplicity's sake if they shot a 40-round match where with the old system, you can theoretically reach up to 400 points - whats the max with the olympic counting system? 40*10.9 = 436?

Maybe someone can shed a light on this for me and quickly sum up the counting as it is being done in the big competitions.

Many thanks,

Dan
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

Only in big tournaments with "Finals" are the final ten shots scored in tenths of a point, and that is after the 60 shot (40 for woman) elimination round.

So the maximum possible score is 709 for men and 509 for women in one of those events.
Mike Taylor

Decimal scoring in Air Pistol

Post by Mike Taylor »

Decimal scoring is only used in the "finals". In a "big" match, after the regulation 60 shots (called the "qualifying round") the top scorers (the top eight, I think) then shoot another match consisting of 10 shots. After each shot in the finals, the shot is scored using a gauge which gives a decimal value (the closer to the centre of the target, the higher the decimal score). The score is announced after each shot - just to put the pressure on the shooters. The ten-shot decimal score is then added to the score from the qualifying round to determine the final overall standings of the competitors. Thus you may see that a shooter who finsished the qualifying round in first place, with a score of 578, and shot 100.3 in the finals, losing to a shooter who shot only 576 in qualifying but who shot 102.4 in the finals.
Alex

Olympic counting method

Post by Alex »

OK.
It's been 25 years since this was a concern. As of late, since I started shooting RF again, I've been training and shooting and not concerned with such things, but since you brought it up..
So am I understanding correctly that in the "finals" at the Olympics a nine is not always just a nine or do the decimals just kick in at the ten ring? I mean is the aforementioned guage used on the entire target or just the ten ring?

Just wondering,

Alex
Chris

Post by Chris »

Alex,

In the finals all of the rings are scored in 10ths. It is possable to get a 6.5. The lowest score is a 1.0
Don

Finals/decimal scoring

Post by Don »

If any of you folks have the chance to sit in on a finals, for any discipline, do it!! They are fun and the way people's standings change with each shot is something. In the regular match, you don't know who has done what until everyone is finished and you look at the results listing. In the final, everyone shoots his shot, for 10-shots, and after each shot the announcer reads them off from #1 to #8, so you know if someone is gaining on you or if you are gaining on them or what. The standings are re-ranked after each shot as well. This makes the final a real mental challenge and much more difficult than the fired match. Many times, the difference in score from first to 4th/5th is only one or two or three tenths of a point. Anyway, if you get the chance, take it.
Tony C.

Post by Tony C. »

Also don't forget if there's tie after the ten shots final, it will go to shot for shot sudden death shoot-off to break tie, talk about pressure!
Spencer C

Re: Olympic counting method?

Post by Spencer C »

coolhandluke wrote:Maybe someone can shed a light on this for me and quickly sum up the counting as it is being done in the big competitions.

Many thanks,

Dan
To answer your question, the maximum possible score for the qualification round is 10 x the number of shots in the match
40-shot = 400
60-shot = 600
120-shot = 1200

the Finals round is 10 shots, each with a maximum or 10.9 (10 x 10.9 = 109)
Including the finals, the maximum possible score is
40-shot = 400 + 109 = 509
60-shot = 600 + 109 = 709
120-shot = 1200 + 109 = 1309

(naturally, Shotgun does not have the decimal scoring in their finals)

Hope this helps,

Spencer
coolhandluke

Post by coolhandluke »

To answer your question, the maximum possible score for the qualification round is 10 x the number of shots in the match
40-shot = 400
60-shot = 600
120-shot = 1200
Aaaah ok. Thats the end of my illusions that the results are not comparable, then :(

Thanks everyone![/quote]
deleted1

Post by deleted1 »

In it's simplest form the "Finals" are fired in a 70 second period for ten shots. If the targets are not "electronic" then each target has to be hand graded with a "NONIUS" gauge. This plastic device enable the "Judge" to record each shot in tenths---hence a shot can be scored in tenths producing scores of 10.5, 9.0, 8.6 etc.---the scores in tenths are not achieved by guestimation but rather by using either "electronic" means or by hand usind the suitable "Nonius Gauge". Nonius Gauges are available from USAS in a set covering the scoring for the various shooting disciplines. Aprroximate cost ~USD$40
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Bob Riegl wrote:In it's simplest form the "Finals" are fired in a 70 second period for ten shots.
For the slow fire pistol and standing position rifle finals it's actually 75 seconds per shot. For the 50m prone rifle it's 45 seconds per shot.