Which pistols have dry-fire triggers?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I am interested in purchasing a standard/sport pistol but would like to buy one which also has a dry fire mechanism available (e.g., Pardini OSP). Which brands have this feature available???
phil

Post by phil »

The Matchguns MG2 has a dry fire position.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Can you dry fire all 5 shots?
Rob

Post by Rob »

I don't think any current standard pistol can do that.
Mike Taylor

Dry-fire

Post by Mike Taylor »

The MG2 will dry-fire one shot only; then the slide must be cycled to re-cock the hammer for another shot - same applies to the Unique DES 69. To dry-fire the Walther GSP (or OSP), one must remove the "regular" trigger asembly and replace it with the dry-fire (practice) trigger asembly. This is a very simple and quick exchange, and the practice trigger will allow you to fire five "shots" before re-cocking. However, the practice trigger may not exactly duplicate the feel of the regular trigger - depends upon how you set it up.
The Browning Medalist has a dry-fire mechanism that does not require the slide to be cycled to re-cock the hammer. The dry-fire/safety lever merely needs to be depressed to recock the hammer. This is readily accomplished with the thumb of your right hand while holding the pistol (lefties will have to use their right hand).
Some claim that, due to the design of the firing pin, the IZH 35 can be dry-fired without concern for damaging the firing pin or the chamber - but the slide must be cycled for succesive "shots".
The Britarms 2000 Mk 2 has a latch to hold the slide partially open so that the gun can be dry-fired without the firing pin touching the chamber. For successive "shots", the slide must be cycled and the latch engaged again.
The Walther P22 has a hammer block safety (similar to the S&W Model 52) that allows the pistol to be dry-fired, but the hammer must be re-cocked for another "shot" (and the P22 is not a serious target pistol).
From my experience, I would not dry-fire a S&W Model 41, nor a High Standard Supermatic without putting a dummy round or a spent cartridge in the chamber - otherwise, chamber peening will result.
Of the .22 semi-autos that I have owned, the Medalist provided the most convenient dry-fire mechanism. Unfortunately, the barrel on the model I had was too long to qualify for Standard Pistol (a later model had a shorter barrel that did qualify).
Note that the Medalist and the DES 69 are no longer in production and that the Britarms is special order only.
trinity

only the Walther GSP

Post by trinity »

Rob wrote:I don't think any current standard pistol can do that.
The GSP is the only standard pistol on the market that can do that, with a dry fire trigger. So you just pop out the normal trigger and put in this dry fire trigger, and it allows you to dry fire 5 shots. Each time you cock it back, it allows you to dry fire 5 shots. It is sort of a winch system, works pretty well. The trigger weight isn't exactly 1000 grams, but you can play around with putting different springs in there. I think I ended up putting in a spring from a bic pen, and it is pretty close to 1000 grams.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

If you use the GSP then make sure you change back to the normal trigger before shooting a match. I have seen a few people try to claim malfunctions, especially in Rapid, only to find how embarrassing it is when the range officer discovers the problem.