MG 2 - Impressions

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

MG 2 - Impressions

Post by Guest »

Took possession of a MG 2 last friday. Don Nygord got it to me in near record time. Many THANKS!

I'm not easily impressed but I was blown away at just how "trick" this SP is. The pointability is first rate; trigger superb; instructions pretty good. Handled and fondled it for the last couple of days and went out today and put almost 200 rds of asst. ammo through it(Wolf Target, CCI Green Tag, CCI SV, and Win White Box).

I had one(1) failure to eject with White Box and no failure to fire(hammer dropping as slide goes forward). The only other problem I had and it was early on was failure to go all the way to full battery on the first round. I really believe this was due to the newness of the gun however.

Accuracy was first rate(25 Yds) with Wolf and Greentag. I don't have a machine rest but the shots were all where I called them.

The magazine takes getting used to. If you're not deliberate about making sure the rims catch the retainer(?), the rounds will spit out faster than you can put them in. No problem after you get used to it.

I've got other brands of "Match" ammo I will be putting through the gun in short order. I'll keep you informed.

I bought this gun sight unseen, but then again I've only seen the Hammerli since I decided I've been "on vacation" from pistol target shooting for too long(24yrs). I don't know if the new rules were the spark or what but I'm happy with my choice of the new Rapidfire guns.

Hold center,
Alex
SDH

mg-2

Post by SDH »

Not that there's anything tricky about it, but you can see the gun taken down for cleaning, step-by-step, on line at the Match Guns website.

Enjoy the gun. My wife, who occassionally shoots with me, saw mine, and, now, it's hers.
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Dear Guest - it's been a couple of weeks since your first (and most informative) post. I think there are many of us who are anxiously awaiting more feedback from your MG2 experience. Please, tell us how it's working.

(Enquiring minds want to know...) *grin*
phil

MG2 - Impressions

Post by phil »

I am also interested by this gun, I intend to buy a second SP (1000 grs trigger) for new rules rapid fire shooting and for the standard pistol.

I allready read about different experiences on french forums and the gun seems having nice characteristics like weight, trigger, balance, barrel length.

Than you giving us your experiences.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Dear Mark and Phil,

More than happy to brag about my MG2.
I’ve put over seventeen hundred rounds through It now, the last nine hundred(900) without cleaning it just to see if the crud build up would affect functioning. Not one malfunction. Since my last post I’ve shot Aguila SV & Pistol match, Federal SV Classic & Ultra Match, and Lapua Midas. The only “problem” is that with some brands one must be certain to cycle the slide completely to the rear forcefully to pick up the first round(sensitivity to rim thicknesses?). It seems to need the full force of the slide and dual springs to fully chamber the first round. The design of the pistol is such however that you can cycle the slide repeatedly without ejecting the not fully chambered round. Ejecting a round that misfires after being struck by the pin, requires you the put the gun on the bench and use both hands to extract it. Haven’t had that happen yet and no malfunctions of any other kind.
I cannot tell the difference between Aguila SV and Pistol match except that it seems the match is cleaner, leaves less residue. They both shoot very well at 25 yds and are some of the “softest” recoiling. The Federal SV likewise shoot VG but is not as soft. The Ultra Match makes me want to adjust the trigger(take out some of the “roll” I’ve put in) and try a Free Pistol Match it's so accurate Unfortunately its not as soft as either of the Aguilas(small favor considering the price of UM). The Midas cycled flawlessly and was SOFT but didn’t shoot well. In all honesty I shot it at the end of the session when I was tired and the gun extremely dirty so its definitely getting another, no several more tries along with Eley and other true “match” ammos.
In my first post when I referred to the MG2 as “trick” I meant that Mr. Morini really “engineered” this thing. For those that haven’t had their hands on one here are some of the features.
-The grip is adjustable both side to side via screws on the sides of the frame and vertically via a screw at the rear of the frame if you wish to take out some of the “droop” factor.
-The safety disconnects the hammer(located in the sight rib) so that by engaging it you are dry firing only the trigger.
-The front sight is interchangeable(with different widths available) and the rear sight blade notch can be adjusted for width and depth.
-With some brands of ammo it’s felt recoil is SOFT. It’s been almost twenty five years since I couldn’t get enough R25 to burn in my Domino, but I’m getting back into this game with a gun that I feel is going to give me every advantage under the new rules.

If there is a negative about the MG2 it is the way it dismantles for cleaning from the chamber end and to get at the crud around the action. The barrel/weight (along with the front sight) ssembly detach from the frame as does the rib with the rear sight. It would be nice if they detached as one unit. However that would make it a tad harder to run the rod through the barrel with the sight and rib waiting to bite you on the downstroke while you tried to force that tight patch through the barrel. In all fairness both times I’ve had it appart to clean it (early on), I only needed to adjust my sight one click so this is no big deal. I do however plan to carefully tighten all screws with a torque wrench on reassembly from now on so as not to over torque any screws and possibly cause play to develop in those carefully drilled and tapped holes in the frame.
Given the way my MG2 has performed thus far I couldn’t be more pleased.

Hold center,
Alex F.
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Thanks for the update, Alex! With your help and the kind words of another contributor here (Mike Taylor) I think I'm getting much closer to committing to the MG2. Now I just have to come up with the $$... ;-)