New USASNC pistol championship? (long)

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
PaulB

New Championship

Post by PaulB »

From the way John Bickar shot when he won air, std, center and rapid this looks like a great way to give him another national championship award. All kidding aside, it sounds like a good idea.

Paul
Chris

Post by Chris »

Stan,

I have a few comments.

I really like the idea and it is great for those people that have enough time to train for all 5 guns and also then have the vacation time to attend for all 5 events. I really wish I did have the time and I do not even have kids...yet.

Personally I think time is one of the issues we have with getting people to show up at major matches. I know that is part of the reason I have not been to the last 4 major matches. I have not been able to tain as much as I needed to make the trip worth my time and money. I am very frustrated by this.

I think as a group we need to do what you have done an come up with ideas to help out our sport.
IDShooter

Post by IDShooter »

I think this is a great idea, but it does need a little work since not all shooters have the time, facility or the money to properly train in all of the pistol events. We do something close to this in Rodeo. The PRCA cowboy who wins the most prize money in a year while competing in at least two events, earning a minimum of $3,000 in each event, wins the world all-around championship.

So lets change this to shooting, wouldn't it be nice to do it on most money won??? There are three olympic men's events and two women's. Not everyone has 50 meters to train FP or the target system to shoot rapid. However most people do shoot AP. The shooter can enter as many events as they please, the more the better, but only the top two events will count. A simple spread sheet should be able to do the tracking, and a formal points system will be figured. At nationals we shoot the course twice over. Why count just day one, or day two, why not both days. This means that a person can shoot horrible the first day and still have a chance the second day.

Just a thought.

Madie
Bill Poole

an opposing view

Post by Bill Poole »

Here is another thought....

Encourage shooters to put all their other guns in the safe and ONLY shoot ONE discipline seriously and become very very very good at that one discipline... you know, "beware of the man who only owns one gun"

I can't quite bring myself to do that but I have narrowed it down to only 2 or 3.

There is some cross-training or complementary disciplines that can be beneficial, like FP and AP. But to add in and try to train seriously also at RF, and NRA 2700 and IDPA and Bianchi.... its too much of too many different things... that's why I don't plan to shoot serious Service Rifle for the next 4 years.

Although this idea, which might promote excellence among the top few shooters and maybe win more gold medals for the country is probably the opposite of what we need for lots more grass-roots participation.

secondly.... and i think i am a minority here... I don't like money for prizes. We must NEVER give money to a junior, in any sport, it will ruin her or his NCAA status, and teenagers complain to no end when they see someone else win $5 and they can't, and they don't have the foresight to think of college which, 1 or 3 years away, is an infinite time in the future.

just a thought.

Poole
http://arizona.rifleshooting.com/