Aguila 22 short target ammo

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Tom

Aguila 22 short target ammo

Post by Tom »

Hi,

Has anyone tried the Aguila 22 Short target ammo? I'm looking for a low cost practice/club level ammo. How reliable is it? Is it covered with lube? How accurate is it? At least as good as CCI?

Thanks in advance,

Tom
Helen

Aguila

Post by Helen »

Seeing as no one has been kind enough to reply, I'll put in my 2 cents worth.
Don't know about the last while, but Aguila used to be the laughing-stock of the gun range. You always knew who the new shooter was by the sound of their Aguila going off - or not.
Maybe they have improved.......?
Evia

Can you imagine...?

Post by Evia »

Dear Helen: Aguila Ammunition is the only brand that is available here in my country Mexico...can you imagine our suffer? We figth like dogs when somebody has a tiny box of Eley ammo to sell.

Have a nice time,

Manuel Evia
LesJ

Post by LesJ »

I did not use Aguila 22 short but I am using Aguila 22 SE Standard and Subsonic. Both are excellent for the price of $110 per case. I understand that's cheaper then you guys are paying for it in Mexico.
I would say that they equal other ammo double or triple the price and make perfect practice ammo and if not high score shooter it makes good enough for the match. I never had misfire and used subsonic in Pardini SP without a problem and also in free pistol.
I don't know how it was in the past, but right now it is primed by Eley and it seams to perform very well.
Check privies posts in the last half a year and they all pretty much are positive.
Helen

Aguila .22 ammo

Post by Helen »

LesJ: glad to hear Aguila has improved. Of course, they had no way to go but up. But, hey, if it works OK, groups OK & is cost-effective, then great!
deleted1

Aquila

Post by deleted1 »

I used to call Aquila, "Montezuma's Revenge." But lately I see it being used more and more by my club members---who don't mind spending a big buck for .22 ammo.
Evia

Aguila Match Pistol

Post by Evia »

Aguila Golden Eagle Match pistol performs well in my 208S. 1.1" five shoot groups at 25 mts. They accuracy performance is simillar to the Eley pistol target. I had problems with ignition. Some shoots (maybe 3 from 50) fails to ignite. That in a rapid or timed fire secquence is horrible. The price in Mexico? Here we paid 52 pesos (about 4.62 US) for a box of 50. More or less the price of the Eley target at USA.

I guess that Aguila ammo is good for practice. But not for competition, nor club or serious.

Rgds,

Evia
coldbeerchief

Post by coldbeerchief »

I am surprised to hear negative comments about Aguila ammo.

In my Anschutz 54 MSR, both Match Pistol and Match Rifle group almost as well as Eley EPS (yes, red box) (.50" - .75" at 100 meters)

Similar results in Ruger 10/22 and CZ 452 (large groups, though). They subsonic rounds are very accurate too.

In my Benelli MP95, Aguila Match Pistol performs better than CCI Match Pistol, CCI Green Tag or Eley Practice (yellow box).

Last but not least, after about 15 bricks of all types of Aguila rimfire ammo, I can't recall a single instance when I've had a 'fail-to-fire'. I wish I could say that about Federal Match.

You can't beat $159 for a case of Aguila Match Rifle.
Tom

Thanks for the posts

Post by Tom »

Hi All,

Thanks for your comments. I'm going to take a shot so to speak on a case of the short target. The best price I can get is $195US a case. That's about $60US less than CCI target shorts.

As far as the LR line from Aguila. I use SE standard and SE subsonic solid point. I have gone through 5 cases, (25000 rounds) of SE sub with one failure to fire in a Pardini SPE. I do find it a little bit dirty and the lube builds up on the front of the mags.

One thing I have noticed during the winter months is that it has a tendency to have a few "low power" rounds if you let the ammo get cold. I live in the Northeast and this winter was very cold. I started to keep the loaded mags in my pocket on the line and that solved the problem.

I did try a cold temp test though, I left a couple different brands outside on one of the -10F degree nights and the next morning tried them at the range. None of the brands performed as well as they had at normal temps but none of the brands had failures to fire.

Thanks again,

Tom

Post by Guest »

Do you need help paying student loans? Look into <a href=http://dittoeffect.com/2010/09/01/grant ... ans>grants to pay off student loans</a> and potentially save thousands when paying back student loans. It’s basically free money to pay off student loans.

Post by Guest »

Do you need help paying student loans? Look into grants to pay off student loans and potentially save thousands when paying back student loans. It’s basically free money to pay off student loans.