Score progression

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Ziperix

Score progression

Post by Ziperix »

I’m still fairly new (I’ve been shooting for about 2 months) and i’m wondering how did everyone’s score progression look like? What did you shoot after a month/two/6/12 etc?

I know scores are not that important at the beginning but it would be nice to set myself some realistic score goals.
David M

Re: Score progression

Post by David M »

Forget scores and set goals based on groups.
ie. All shot's inside the 6 ring, then all shots in the black, nothing in the white etc.

With improving groups your scores will follow.

Its not the number of 10's or 9's that you shoot nor the perfect 10.9's
that make a good score, it's the number of error's that kill a good score.
Gwhite

Re: Score progression

Post by Gwhite »

Step 1: forget about scores for now.

Most beginners will develop the ability to shoot a group (of sorts) fairly quickly, but patterns will begin to emerge, where you have a bunch of shots clustered in one area, but the group is elongated, or has shots outside of the main cluster. People don't tend to make random errors, they have issues with their technique that will push shots in certain directions.

Shots outside the main group in the same direction, or large variations in particular directions can give you clues about what may be going on. They could be from aiming errors, triggering errors or an inconsistent grip. Your shooting will improve faster if you learn to identify various technique issues, and how to fix them.

Just putting lots of shoots downrange is a great way to develop bad habits that will be difficult to break down the road. The perfect "shot process" is an individual thing. One way you can develop yours is to stop when you get a good shot, and analyze the heck out of it. Examine all of the pieces that helped create that good shot; breathing, grip, sight picture sight alignment, trigger squeeze, follow though. That will help to reinforce good technique, and build "muscle memory".

Always focus on a POSITIVE corrective action. If you are looking at the target & not your sights, tell yourself to focus on the sights. Avoid telling yourself "don't look at the target." A "negative" statement like that involves a level of abstraction that a positive statement doesn't have. The difference is subtle, but it's there.