What makes a AP "kick"?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
PirateJohn

Re: What makes a AP "kick"?

Post by PirateJohn »

Grippy wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:03 pm The Idea being that the rod should point slightly downwards in "anticipation" of the kick?
To use that information you'd also have to consider how much the bullet drops though. Which for 150m/s over 10m should be order of magnitude 2cm.
#TheyDidTheMath
Oldbear

Post by Oldbear »

I spend a lot of time and pellets searching for the answer to this.
The worst of my "kicks" seem to be related to my trigger pull (I am shooting an AV 46M). I get a lot of upward kicks, but then I get a lot of nice 10s from the same gun.
Keep practicing!
spektr

Post by spektr »

Recoil is a reaction motion caused by the acceleration of the pellet. Its also meaningless.
Recoil is meaningless because it is a constant. The same pellet weight will give the same recoil
in a range dictated by the standard deviation of the gun velocity. So that means that as long as you do things
the same, recoil motion cancels itself out and is a non factor. Where recoil matters is when the shooter adds variables to the shot
process. This usually shows up in grip differences. If you change how you grasp the gun shot to shot, the POI will move.
its really that simple......
william

Post by william »

spektr wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:06 am Recoil is a reaction motion caused by the acceleration of the pellet. Its also meaningless.
Recoil is meaningless because it is a constant. The same pellet weight will give the same recoil
in a range dictated by the standard deviation of the gun velocity. So that means that as long as you do things
the same, recoil motion cancels itself out and is a non factor. Where recoil matters is when the shooter adds variables to the shot
process. This usually shows up in grip differences. If you change how you grasp the gun shot to shot, the POI will move.
its really that simple......
STOP IT! You're taking away the toys from all the Isaac Newton wannabes.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Oldbear wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:06 am I spend a lot of time and pellets searching for the answer to this.
The worst of my "kicks" seem to be related to my trigger pull (I am shooting an AV 46M). I get a lot of upward kicks, but then I get a lot of nice 10s from the same gun.
Keep practicing!
The "kick" you describe is you, not the pistol. It's caused by a reflexive tightening of the grip in anticipation of the shot. Hang the pistol out pointed at the target like you were dry firing. Then tighten your grip a little, and see which way the sights move.

If you want to eliminate these shots, you need to work on getting "surprise shots". As soon as you consciously think about "firing the pistol", you are in trouble. Especially if your brain is telling your finger to fire "now!" Concentrate on moving the trigger to the rear, or constantly increasing pressure on the trigger. The pistol WILL fire, but because it is not the result of an abrupt willful conscious action on your part, it's harder to anticipate.
gimgim

Post by gimgim »

> The Idea being that the rod should point slightly downwards in "anticipation" of the kick?

The rod will point up, not down. The trajectory is a parabola
william

Post by william »

gimgim wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:13 am > The Idea being that the rod should point slightly downwards in "anticipation" of the kick?

Only in a vacuum.
PirateJohn

Post by PirateJohn »

william wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:50 pm
gimgim wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:13 am > The Idea being that the rod should point slightly downwards in "anticipation" of the kick?

Only in a vacuum.
Also, it's technically an ellipse
gimgim

Post by gimgim »

> Only in a vacuum.

Good point :-)

> Also, it's technically an ellipse

No, it's not - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projectile_motion
PirateJohn

Post by PirateJohn »

It's an ellipse because if the earth itself wasn't in the way and it was just a point mass, the pellet would orbit around the point mass. An ellipse closely resembles a parabola at points close to the vertex.
High Left

Post by High Left »

Ellipse in a vacuum. Even if it only went a few hundred yards on the moon. Which isn't a perfect vacuum, but close enough.
PirateJohn

Post by PirateJohn »

High Left wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:30 pm Ellipse in a vacuum. Even if it only went a few hundred yards on the moon. Which isn't a perfect vacuum, but close enough.
If it was on the moon, it would be a lunar ellipse
gimgim

Post by gimgim »

I am convinced, thanks