FWB P8x vs Steyr evo 10e - share your experience

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Mikk3

FWB P8x vs Steyr evo 10e - share your experience

Post by Mikk3 »

I know there has been some reviews about both of these pistols and many threads about the question of mechanical vs electronic trigger but I would still like to open a discussion and hear experiences about these two guns and their trigger mechanisms.

I’ve been planning for a quite some time about upgrading from FWB P44 by treating myself with a brand new gun but I have the common problem that it’s very hard for me to get to test these guns at the range before buying. I’ve really liked my P44 so P8x might not be a bad choice at all but I’m also very intrigued by the electronic mechanism.

It would be great to hear experiences by someone who has had the opportunity to shoot both these!

I’ve also ruled out Morini, Walther and Pardini since the service opportunities are much better with FWB and Steyr here where I’m from.
brent375hh

Re: FWB P8x vs Steyr evo 10e - share your experience

Post by brent375hh »

Many of us are in your boat. I have a Steyr with a mechanical trigger, and like it, but like dating in your 20s, you always wonder if you are missing out on something, no matter how good you have it.

Just when I thought I needed a new gun, the Olympic gold was won with my exact gun, so I thought, oh I don't need a new one. I have ruled out many guns for various reasons, but the FWB checks all the boxes on what I think I would like.

My biggest fault is gripping the gun as I press the second stage. I don't think any tool choice will fix that.

The P8X looks like it shares quite a bit with the 44.
Ramon OP

Post by Ramon OP »

I had a mechanical Evo 10 and now shoot with the P8X. The main differences for me are:
1. Balance: the Evo is nose heavy and more demanding in terms of strength.
2. Trigger: the P8X has a much smoother trigger, really nice. The Evo manual trigger is coarse by comparison.
3. Weight: the P8X is lighter.

Whats should be easier withd the Evo is reproducing the grip if you are into wood working.

I'm very happy with the change. Both are great guns but I will always choose the P8X over the Evo 10.

My review of the Feinwerkbau P8X: https://www.olympicpistol.com/feinwerkb ... ol-review/
Ramon
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

Ramon OP wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:55 pm I had a mechanical Evo 10 and now shoot with the P8X. The main differences for me are:
1. Balance: the Evo is nose heavy and more demanding in terms of strength.
2. Trigger: the P8X has a much smoother trigger, really nice. The Evo manual trigger is coarse by comparison.
3. Weight: the P8X is lighter.

Whats should be easier withd the Evo is reproducing the grip if you are into wood working.

I'm very happy with the change. Both are great guns but I will always choose the P8X over the Evo 10.

My review of the Feinwerkbau P8X: https://www.olympicpistol.com/feinwerkb ... ol-review/
Ramon, Did you try making trigger adjustments on your Evo, or are you comparing them both as they came from the box?
Grippy

Post by Grippy »

The EVO 10 E trigger is about as "smooth" as you would expect an electric trigger to be. I'd rate it slightly above the P8X but the difference is negligible. One advantage is that the modern electric triggers are more repeatable and stable in terms of force. So if you are looking to cut it close with the 500grams or using very light second stages I'd trust the e-trigger more.

For people with long hands/fingers the P8X allows putting the trigger blade slightly farther forward. On the EVO 10 I'm completely at the limit while on the P8X I have a couple of millimeters left.
toddinjax

Post by toddinjax »

At my wife's insistence ,I recently came home with the p8x; trigger does feel great as does its weight and balance. I'm 6'1.5" with fairly long fingers, I can't palm a basketball, not huge hands but I certainly don't have small hands. The fwb medium grip feels like it was custom made for my hand. I do have the trigger moved out a fair bit. When I tried Styer, Walther and Morini I needed a large grip. Just something to be aware of, fwb grips run larger than many others. So too at my size I can say that the Styer EVO feels more nose heavy than the fwb, though you may well prefer that. Only criticism I could say is that I did not care for the Styer trigger shoe one bit, it felt like chromed plastic.
Ramon OP

Post by Ramon OP »

[/quote]Ramon, Did you try making trigger adjustments on your Evo, or are you comparing them both as they came from the box?
[/quote]

Yes. It is not a question of settings of the trigger. The P8X has a much smoother trigger irrespective of the changes you make.
Ramon
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

Ramon OP wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:20 pm
Ramon, Did you try making trigger adjustments on your Evo, or are you comparing them both as they came from the box?
[/quote]

Yes. It is not a question of settings of the trigger. The P8X has a much smoother trigger irrespective of the changes you make.
[/quote]
I tried a P44 last night that appears to have a similar trigger to the P8X, I didn't think it was as good as the Steyr, but it wasnt set up as I prefer. I did however change my sear engagement and overtravel right out of the box. Obviously trigger feel is subjective. Believe me, I want to buy a FWB. I have only two nagging questions before I buy something that I may not entirely love and lose money on.

1. If the FWB trigger is so great, how come you rarely see one in top level competition?
2. If the Steyr trigger is so bad, how is it possible that one was used for a world record of 594, and last year's most winning gold medalist manage to use one to beat everyone else on the planet?
Grippy

Post by Grippy »

Because the differences are tiny? Because people don't just buy a trigger but a whole pistol? Because people have preferences? Because there is inertia and people stick with brands they had good experiences with?

If it makes you feel better about your gear to use what the world elite uses then you should do that. Whichever gun motivates you the most to train is the one that will be "the best".

If you base your decision on loaded questions consider: "If modern pistols/triggers are so great how did people score 590 in 1989?"
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

There is no loaded questions.
I just haven't convinced myself that any new gun will be better, or maybe as good as my current setup. I wish I could rent a PX8. I would happily pay $300 to rent one, because I would probably lose more than that if I bought one and didn't decide it was the better mousetrap.

Your point about 590 in 1989 is very valid too. What gun was used?
Rover

Post by Rover »

So, you're trying to buy points? You want the most points for your money?
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

I swapped my P8X trigger blade for a Walther GSP one. Also removed the barrel shroud.
top end

Post by top end »

Another opinion, for what it’s worth, in relation to the above. My charging handle is not wobbly, the cylinder threads are coarse and thread on very easily, the cylinders don’t lose air on the gun.
spektr

Post by spektr »

With respect to the cylinders on my P44 and the P8, the large buttress threads carry loads much better due to their thicker thread root thickness, but in all fairness, the steyr threads are non problematic. Also, As far as overnight leaking... That's usually addressed with a bit of synthetic oil and a toothpick to exercise the tank poppet valve. I had a tank doing weird things a few years ago, and a tiny bit of oil on the poppet valve every year or so keeps it in great function. Also.... All pcp pistols use Belleville washers in their regulators, and a tiny bit of synthetic oil blowing thru the gun keeps them happy and keeps the regulator sliding as it should, and that keeps the gun on regulation at lower bar settings giving all pcp pistols of all makers more shots per tank on regulation....
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

+1

Another opinion, for what it’s worth, in relation to the above. My charging handle is not wobbly, the cylinder threads are coarse and thread on very easily, the cylinders don’t lose air on the gun.
Old10MShooter

Post by Old10MShooter »

It is a personal preference as both air pistols are rock solid. However, I did purchase the Steyr Evo 10 (manual) twice and sold it. On both of those Steyrs, I felt the grip to be absolutely awesome and it fitted me vey well - I have small hands. To me, the cocking handle, sights and balance were not that great but I could live and train with it. What I did not like on the Steyr Evo was the trigger - after the shot was fired. The trigger was smooth till it hit the wall but when the shot was released, there was a slight "violent" feedback (not sure how to put it). I sold the Steyr Evo, missed shooting it it and after six months bought it back again and when the P8X came along, sold the Steyr for good (again) as FWB P8X was a slam dunk for me. I have the Steyr LP50 which is a fun air pistol to shoot.

The FWB P8X is a keeper. The air pistol shoots great, the balance feels fine (I have the two small weights closer to the trigger guard) and sights are really good. The loading of the pellet is very smooth - however, unlike the Steyr Evo, you load the pellet in a trough and have to be very mindful and remember that you have loaded the pellet. I did load two pellets once inadvertently. What I don't like about the P8X are the grips - the profile is fine and it fits very well. However, since it can be adjusted in so many different ways (like the Walther LP400), you have to be cautious that the grips are mounted straight each time - a slight cant, changes the feel of the grip and the shot. My P8X is awesome to shoot - the trigger is out of this world!!
j-team

Post by j-team »

brent375hh wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:23 am
Your point about 590 in 1989 is very valid too. What gun was used?
Pretty sure it was FWB model 2 CO2
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

Old10MShooter wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:52 am It is a personal preference as both air pistols are rock solid. However, I did purchase the Steyr Evo 10 (manual) twice and sold it. On both of those Steyrs, I felt the grip to be absolutely awesome and it fitted me vey well - I have small hands. To me, the cocking handle, sights and balance were not that great but I could live and train with it. What I did not like on the Steyr Evo was the trigger - after the shot was fired. The trigger was smooth till it hit the wall but when the shot was released, there was a slight "violent" feedback (not sure how to put it). I sold the Steyr Evo, missed shooting it it and after six months bought it back again and when the P8X came along, sold the Steyr for good (again) as FWB P8X was a slam dunk for me. I have the Steyr LP50 which is a fun air pistol to shoot.

The FWB P8X is a keeper. The air pistol shoots great, the balance feels fine (I have the two small weights closer to the trigger guard) and sights are really good. The loading of the pellet is very smooth - however, unlike the Steyr Evo, you load the pellet in a trough and have to be very mindful and remember that you have loaded the pellet. I did load two pellets once inadvertently. What I don't like about the P8X are the grips - the profile is fine and it fits very well. However, since it can be adjusted in so many different ways (like the Walther LP400), you have to be cautious that the grips are mounted straight each time - a slight cant, changes the feel of the grip and the shot. My P8X is awesome to shoot - the trigger is out of this world!!
If you had the mechanical trigger (all triggers are "manual" as opposed to automatic) did you ever adjust the sear engagement? Too little sear engagement can make the trigger snap forward when it releases, both on Steyr and Hammerli. I know zero about the electronic triggers, but the Steyr mechanical trigger can be tuned to feel like whatever you would like. Sear engagement from 50-90 degrees of the screw is the sweet spot in my opinion. Having the over travel stop right after the sear release gives the proverbial glass rod break on my two examples.
Grippy

Post by Grippy »

Something not trigger related that I haven't seen mentioned regarding the original topic. I think you should customize the grip of any gun. Otherwise that's like buying glasses with premium frames but not putting prescription lenses in them. And I don't think adjustable grip angles remove that need.

However, the P8X grip is a better canvas to do so. It's more "extended" in most directions. Especially compared to the Steyr factory grip. It's longer towards the wrist, it has more of a shelf over the pointer etc. The annoying thing though is that you have to redrill the adjustment holes for the grip angle after applying putty.