Gamo compact top scores

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Steevyg

Re: Gamo compact top scores

Post by Steevyg »

Thanks rmca for the info’ about pellet speed, that’s worth knowing.
I had a look at the link you gave - very interesting it was too, will be even more so if I buy an LP10!
Steevyg

Post by Steevyg »

As a matter of interest rmca, I noticed you added some weight to your Gamo Compact, would you mind telling me where and how much weight, and more importantly, did it improve you score/group sizes? Thank you.
rmca

Post by rmca »

Below the barrel shroud at the muzzle there are some spaces that can be filled with led or other heavy material.
It made the gun a little more nose heavy, although it was still very light for my preference.
Looking back, it made little or no difference at all. Grip, yes/maybe... But trigger and weight were not worth doing...
There is simply no way of improving it without replacing the parts with ones that are better made.
The sear and the piece that pulls the valve are three stamped metal plates riveted together. You can't get a good bearing surface on them... and I tried! The pivots are the plastic studs and are sloppy, the springs are too stiff (and I've replace them), and the way it works puts a lot of movement on the pistol when the valve is pulled open...

Leave it as is, and look for something better.
Steevyg

Post by Steevyg »

Thanks for your insights rmca, they make for good reading. I’ve just ordered some stick on weights, which I may or may not use now, in light of what you said about them. I’ve had some joy in reducing the contact surfaces of the sears, by replacing the screw under the trigger with a longer one: trigger weight is down to about 2 1/2 lb now. I’m adjusting/fettling etc the pistol, to get the best out of it, whilst I’m waiting for the purchase of a new gun: however, like with most things, timing is crucial.
Rover

Post by Rover »

You can get stick-on wheel balancing weights at any motorcycle shop.

Will you stop already! Everyone has told you the GAMO is a POS; get rid of it!
Steevyg

Post by Steevyg »

Thanks Rover, they are the kind I’m getting.
Steevyg

Post by Steevyg »

Added 60 grams to the front of the Gamo, but didn’t make any difference at all I don’t think (you were right rmca).
Didn’t make the 500 I was hoping for with the Gamo this month ( got 494), but hey there’s always next months 60 shot, and I gotta feeling.....
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Don't worry, there are plenty of people with $2500 Steyrs & the like that can't break 500 either...

If you keep all your shots in the black, the odds are very high that you will break 500. The shots out in the white are NOT the pistols fault. Figure out what's causing them, and work on adjusting your shot process to eliminate them. Concentrate on executing each shot as best you can, and forget about the actual score. If you get your shot process working well consistently, the scores will be there.
Steevyg

Post by Steevyg »

I appreciate your advice Gwhite: being consistent in the shot process is definitely the key to achieving ones potential. It’s a challenge too, when one throws a 6 at the start of a card (or any time for that matter), not to get drawn in to despondency, but rather put it out of your mind and re-focus 100% on the next shot: it’s most certainly a mental game as well!
Steevyg

Post by Steevyg »

Gwhite wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:16 pm Don't worry, there are plenty of people with $2500 Steyrs & the like that can't break 500 either...

If you keep all your shots in the black, the odds are very high that you will break 500. The shots out in the white are NOT the pistols fault. Figure out what's causing them, and work on adjusting your shot process to eliminate them. Concentrate on executing each shot as best you can, and forget about the actual score. If you get your shot process working well consistently, the scores will be there.
I couldn’t wait until the 15th of the month (when I normally do my 60 shot ‘match’), so I did it this morning - managed 506. Basically I did a spring change on the trigger and the weight is down to 1 1/2lb - 2lb now - much better! I think it might be a good idea to do a 60 shot ‘match’ once a week rather than once a month, as it puts a bit more pressure on me, what are your thought on this please.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I didn't realize the Gamo trigger was that heavy. That will definitely make it a little bit harder than a proper 500 gram trigger, but it's not fatal.

Ideally you should shoot as many matches as you can, BUT it can also be counterproductive until your shot process is well ingrained. If you find that you end up focusing on scores, feel time pressure, or make mistakes and get rattled because it's a match, you will only practice shooting poorly, which will undo the effects of proper training.

A match (ideally) is 60 opportunities to execute your shot process properly. Until you can do that for 10 shots, then 20, etc. you need to work on that. Again, the scores will be there if you execute each shot properly. Shooting occasional practice matches helps to build up stamina, and will help identify issues with pacing yourself for the real thing. If you find that you are part way through a practice match and things have started going wrong, forget about the clock and the 60 shots, and go back to identifying and correcting the problem.

Once you have that sorted out, postal matches are a good way to up your game. Once you have mechanics down pretty well, then you can start investigating the whole mental management side of shooting well in competition.
Steevyg

Post by Steevyg »

The trigger was 2 1/2lb+ before I changed the spring!

Thank you for your comprehensive advice. How is my shot process based on the 506 I scored today, do you think? (photo included - sorry about the quality, couldn’t upload a larger fold size). I realise there are more errors on cards 3 & 4, but not a bad recovery on the last 2 cards?

I think I’m going to settle on a 60 shot ‘match’ every 2 weeks. My practice is usually 50 shots three times a week with 2 20 min dry fire sessions.
85E7393C-F04A-4601-9B0A-CB61EA7EF893.jpeg
85E7393C-F04A-4601-9B0A-CB61EA7EF893.jpeg (46.2 KiB) Viewed 3183 times
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Two possible things to consider:

Shots to the left (for a right handed shooter) are often the result of tensing up your finger tips in anticipation of the shot. In air pistol especially, there is absolutely no need to have your fingers wrapped around so the last joint has ANY contact with the grip. Any variation in sideways pressure will spread your shots out. The most consistent pressure you can apply is ZERO. Same thing goes for sideways thumb pressure, which will push shots to the right.

Getting a surprise shot will also help. Concentrate on an action that will result in the pistol firing, i.e. constantly increasing pressure on the trigger, or, depending on the "feel"/mechanics, keeping it moving smoothly to the rear. As soon as you start thinking about "firing the shot", you are likely to force it off and anticipate it. Forcing the shot off (for a right hander) will also tend to pull the shots down & left, and you have a few of those.

The high shots may be from losing focus on your front sight. Especially with a sub-six hold, the sights will tend to drift up if you don't stay focused on them. Consider some sort of shooting glasses/lenses, and/or an orange chalk mark on the front sight. Glasses & lenses have been discussed to death in other threads. You don't need to go out & spend hundreds of dollars on fancy glasses. There are inexpensive options ($10 to $60) that will do the trick for now.
Steevyg

Post by Steevyg »

I’ll do some dry firing drills today and include the suggestions you’ve made regarding finger tip and thumb pressure, and some orange chalk on the front sight (might have to order that one in). Thank you.

Btw, could you give any advice as to a ‘quiet’ pistol (new or used) for my next upgrade ( I shoot indoors in the winter and have to consider my family - re noise). My Gamo Compact is pretty quiet. I’m 61 so weight might be a consideration.
I’d need a dry fire function as well! I’d be hoping to get to 520/530 before I upgraded. Thank you.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Most high end PCP's shoot at or above 500 fps. Steyrs are pretty loud. I'm pretty sure my Morini is a bit quieter, but I've never really done a real comparison. My pellet trap has a metal plate that can make as much noise as the pistol.

It's only an impression, but I think CO2 pistols tend to be quieter, but that may be because they are usually a bit slower. Dialing down the velocity on a PCP will help, but eventually you will lose accuracy. I suspect you could back one off quite a ways before it wouldn't out group the Gamo.

A Tau-7 might be a good next step. They are CO2, and can be dialed down to 330 FPS. MUCH better sights & trigger than the Gamo.
Steevyg

Post by Steevyg »

Thank you for that advice Gwhite, I’ll do some research on the Tau-7. I did pick up that pcp pistols tend to be noisier. What do you think of the FAS 604 of 6004, as they are ‘similar’ to my Gamo, but I think more refined/accurate?
Steevyg

Post by Steevyg »

I found a dealer who sells the Tau-7 new: Junior, compact & match. The match seems like the one to go for, but comes in at 2.5lb, about 1/2lb heavier than my Gamo, without trying it out, do you think that might be a problem? The compact and junior have compensators(?) on them: are they noisier, do you know, in your experience?
Sorry for all the questions, I’m getting excited thinking I might have found my next purchase!
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

The Match Tau version comes with barrel weights you can remove to lighten it a bit, but it won't be quite as steady. I haven't shot a Tau with a compensator, but I doubt it changes the sound level much, just which direction the noise travels initially.

You will need a dry fire adapter: https://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.ph ... 76#p166476

I have a FAS 6004, and from all the reviews, it's a good step up from the Gamo in terms of quality. That said, there is a lengthy thread on how to tune them up that I followed. I have mine set to a ~ 500 gram trigger, and it shoots fine. It's slow, so it's also fairly quite. Dry firing is easy. The problem at the moment seems to be getting them from Italy. Someone checked with Chiappa about when they might get more, and got no reply.

I think in terms of sound level, I think it's almost entirely about muzzle velocity. If you get a higher end pistol you can back off a bit, you can always crank it back up later. You've got a good start with the Gamo, so I would step up to at least a Tau-7 for your next pistol.
Steevyg

Post by Steevyg »

Thank you very much for your advice, you’ve given me plenty to think about.
Oldbear

Post by Oldbear »

I own a V10, which is the current version of the Gamo Compact. I was shooting an average of 373 with my V10 (over 27 sets of 60). Since upgrading to a IZZY/AV 46M I jumped up to a 475 average (I only have had it a week).

But a word of warning: When I went back to my V10 I was shooting 435! Apparently I learned something!

This happened in my profession: working on mediocre equipment I only learned how to be mediocre. When I got to work with great equipment I got much better. Now I can do great on the old and mediocre stuff.