how often do you practice?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Drdinglab

how often do you practice?

Post by Drdinglab »

new member here & a little introduction
back in early 2000 I used to train 3-6 hours a day, 6 days a week, for 3 years straight until I left school.
now that I finally have the opportunity to get back to the game, "intensive training" seems like a luxury because the clubs nearby only meet once a week for an hour...I'm curious how often do you practice to get ready for competitions?
PirateJohn

Re: how often do you practice?

Post by PirateJohn »

About an hour or two a day, mostly dry firing. I have enough room in my apartment that I can do it at home.
Green_Canoe

Post by Green_Canoe »

For 15 years I used to work 5 minutes from my range and had 1 hour for lunch. I'd shoot every work day for about 30 - 40 minutes. Back then I was shooting bullseye and only got into AP the last couple years before I moved jobs. That's were I developed the basic skills. Now I shoot AP in my basement 2 to 4 times a week and usually only for 40 minutes at a time unless I'm shooting a "match". I'm stuck in the 550s and I know I have to put in more time if I want to move beyond. I just don't have the time or the drive to make more time. If I force it too hard it won't be fun and fun is the reason for the game in my world.
McMadCow

Post by McMadCow »

I shoot 60 shots a day, every day. I'm able to practice at home, so it's not a chore. I'd say I usually manage 29 days each month. I have a camera and a monitor set up so that I'm getting constant feedback and it keeps it interesting. I'll also do dry fire practice, but that's a little less consistent for me.
Ramon OP

Post by Ramon OP »

4 to 5 times a week plus physical conditioning. My range opens three days a week when not in lock down. I do a lot of dry firing and holding at home.
Ramon
David M

Post by David M »

" With so much practice going on, you should all be Olympic level shooters "

It's not the amount of shooting that you do, but the quality of that shooting.
There is a massive difference between practice and training.

Most shooters go to the range and practice (practice all their old bad habits that is...),
they do not go to the range to train.

Until you know the differance between Practice and Training you will never improve
to a very high level.
GarField000

Post by GarField000 »

Every wednesday I have training from a trainer for 2 hours.
Than I try to do one practise session that week, mostly to practice the sesson and get used to doing 80 shots as I am a beginner. My body is not used to it yet.
I have about 2/3 matches a month if possible.

But my average is nog good yet but going up from 490 to 505 atm.
Training goes very slow as we pick one thing and work on that before continue.
emre-nur

Post by emre-nur »

David M wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:26 am " With so much practice going on, you should all be Olympic level shooters "

It's not the amount of shooting that you do, but the quality of that shooting.
There is a massive difference between practice and training.

Most shooters go to the range and practice (practice all their old bad habits that is...),
they do not go to the range to train.

Until you know the differance between Practice and Training you will never improve
to a very high level.
This is completely true. I have 10 m range in my study, firing as I please all day may be more 50 shots. As I do it without discipline, no real progress.
Moreover, excessive training has diminishing returns. As my arm becomes sour and exhausted, the wobble becomes bigger.
william

Post by william »

GarField000 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:28 am Every wednesday I have training from a trainer for 2 hours.
I think you misunderstand what was meant by "training."
m1963

Post by m1963 »

Hello-

While I shoot every day the disciplines vary as range needs vary: combat pistol, combat shotgun, patrol rifle, high-power target rifle, bullseye pistol, air pistol, etc., etc. I prefer handgun shooting, over rifle. However, patrol rifle/high power rifle and shotgun are the easiest disciplines to shoot, for me. Combat pistol requires regular practice to keep the skill; but is easy to maintain.

What works great for combat style pistol shooting, however, often does not translate well to bullseye pistol and air pistol. (While I generally excel in combat pistol shooting with moderate practice, I struggle with bullseye pistol and air pistol.)

For air pistol I shoot one timed match every week (using The Shootwatch app on the iPad, as a timer.) I also try to shoot air pistol and analyze each shot (log in a journal) 2 to 3 times a week. Accurate shooting is a perishable skill- we either use it, or we lose it.

I do not believe it is accurate to state that daily shooters should all be Olympic material. We each have a skill set that fits some disciplines, over others. I truly enjoy air pistol and bullseye pistol shooting because I have not, yet, fully mastered the skill sets involved and I look forward to the challenge each time I shoot.

Best regards,
m1963
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

m1963 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:14 am <snip>
For air pistol I shoot one timed match every week (using The Shootwatch app on the iPad, as a timer.) I also try to shoot air pistol and analyze each shot (log in a journal) 2 to 3 times a week. Accurate shooting is a perishable skill- we either use it, or we lose it.
<snip>
It depends on the individual. My first coach had been the US National .45 Champion, but had to give up shooting due to bursitis. About once a year, he'd take a .45 out of a safe, run a target down range & blow the center out of it. Air pistol didn't bother his elbow much, so when that became a thing, he set a National Record in that.

For me, it's a constant struggle. I shoot .22 bullseye & air pistol, with the occasional free pistol match. Getting more than a couple hours a week to practice is a luxury. I am constantly having to adjust my shot process to adapt to advancing years, and acquiring new "muscle memory" gets harder & harder. I think I may have "muscle Alzheimer's"...
m1963

Post by m1963 »

Enjoyment comes from shooting those disciplines that challenge one’s skills the most.
GarField000

Post by GarField000 »

william wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:34 am
GarField000 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:28 am Every wednesday I have training from a trainer for 2 hours.
I think you misunderstand what was meant by "training."
On wednesday there is a trainer/teacher/air pistol coach .....
That teaches me little things to improve on .....
Training as in you are trained new things ?

Practise is shooting what you have learned.

Not talking about training in the Gim ... ugh.
Mikk3

Post by Mikk3 »

I usually train about 30 minutes of dry-fire and hold at least every other day and go to the range twice a week where I tend to shoot around 100 shots each time. I usually don't even take more than 100 pellets with me because I feel like after 20 to 40 warm up and sighting shots and a serie of 60 shots I soon won't get any advantage from it and I start to loose focus.

Also I like to go to the gym three times a week since I've noticed that my hold and balance start to suffer very quickly if I start skipping physical training.

But I'm a newbie to shooting sports so if my methods seem ridiculous, they might be. :D
David M

Post by David M »

Difference between Training and Practice on the Range...

Training is going to the range with a plan to work on one specific aspect of shooting.
It might be to work on of the basics, grip, hold,stance, lift/transition (rapidfire), sights, timing etc.
It is not shot in any match type conditions (timers may be needed) and is not scored.
You might even use a blank target or one with a hole cut out to 8 or 9 ring.
This may be done over a period of time or a number of sessions.

Practice is doing a proving practice match, using all the rules, scored, timed etc.
to see if the previous Training has made any improvement.
And also to identify the next items to train.

You might in a heavy competition workload have 4 or 5 training sessions to one practice session in a week.
Drdinglab

Post by Drdinglab »

David M wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:15 pm Difference between Training and Practice on the Range...

Training is going to the range with a plan to work on one specific aspect of shooting.
It might be to work on of the basics, grip, hold,stance, lift/transition (rapidfire), sights, timing etc.
It is not shot in any match type conditions (timers may be needed) and is not scored.
You might even use a blank target or one with a hole cut out to 8 or 9 ring.
This may be done over a period of time or a number of sessions.

Practice is doing a proving practice match, using all the rules, scored, timed etc.
to see if the previous Training has made any improvement.
And also to identify the next items to train.

You might in a heavy competition workload have 4 or 5 training sessions to one practice session in a week.
Thank you all your replies and the explanation from David! I didn't realise there is a difference (sorry for the confusion) but seems like we were doing a mix of both.

usually 3 hours afterschool at the range from Tuesday to Friday just to work on the basics, loads of laugher especially when coach was not around. (omg the sweet memories are all coming back now). On Saturday/Sunday 4 hours training and 2 hours practicing followed by 4km jogging to build endurance. unfortunately I got nervous easily during practice match so I got told off a lot!

I'm too old for such heavy workload but very looking forward to get back to the game