New newby

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
GarField000

New newby

Post by GarField000 »

Hi All.
I am new to pistol compeition but not new in live (52 years off age).
I'm from holland and airpistol is not that big here. There are always a few shooters in a club, but more rifle shooters and target shooters.
But I love pistol ....

I started with a cheap Artemis CP2 pistol at home when Corona hit and I was at home 7 days a week and not allowed to do any off my other hobbies.
I watched some video's and bought some books for basic technic. I signed up for a shooting club/indoor range. I took the basic safety lessons but after that everything closed again. Meanwhile I bought a second hand Walther LP400.
I am right handed but left eye dominant. After the first lessons I was told to learn to shoot with my right eye open. That eye was not as good so I bought shooting glasses with a blende so I can use my right eye. For me it's much easier to have my basic start stance than crossed eyed shooting.

Few weeks ago I started with special lessons for the airpistol competition shooters.

I am not that good yet. My high score is 517 over 60 shots. Still have a few 6 and to many 7.
I have done two matches now. 494 and 498. The second match was my first time with digtial shooting ... and I could not help it to move to the screen right after the shot instead off afteraiming ....... I should have been better as the 2 practises before the match I got 500+ scores.

But going to read some older posts here and see what I can learn so I can get rid off that 6 and to many 7.
GarField000

Re: New newby

Post by GarField000 »

Picture off my high score so far. 517 points in 60 shots.

nmondal

Post by nmondal »

GarField000 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:10 am Picture off my high score so far. 517 points in 60 shots.
Wow!
How long you are doing it? This is REALLY, REALLY REALLY nice!

Post it here:
http://targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=64625
10 M Air pistol : Walther LP 500 Basic | Earlier Hammerli AP 20 Pro.
Newbie shooting questions : http://targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=63530
GarField000

Post by GarField000 »

Ik started last year at home at 7mtr.
This year I started shooting at the club on 10mtr.
At 10mtr I now have 6 sessions of 40 shots, and 3 from 60 shots (incl. the 2 rankingmatches).
I have been shooting with my glasses and new shoes for a week now.

18/10 = 319 on 40 shots (first time with glasses)
20/10 = 341 on 40 shots (practise)
21/10 = 517 on 60 shots (practise 60 for the match)
23/10 = 498 on 60 shots (first time with new shoes first time digital).
Ade C

Post by Ade C »

Not a bad start for an old duffer (I'm the same age so that doesn't constitute an insult)
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

Ade C wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:22 pm Not a bad start for an old duffer (I'm the same age so that doesn't constitute an insult)
52 is quite young. When I was 52, I was doing rides on my bicycle of 100 to 150 miles a day at least once every week. Twenty years on I'm riding less, but I'm above ground shooting with sciatica. :-)
"No mud; no Lotus."-- Thich Nhat Hanh
GarField000

Post by GarField000 »

Comments on my age are never in insult :) ..... :D.

Next week I will go to a company that's gonna testfire my gun and pick the perfect pellets so it goes hole in hole :).

I now use the RWS Basic. 7.0gr. The cheap ones in a green box. 4.50mm (shotscope from gun is 4.49).
I put them on a micro scale and they are from 7.0gr to 7.5gr. Most are in the 7.2/7.3 range. Which I find a bit strange as it should be 7.0.

I checked the RWS meisterkugln as well. 6.96 to 7.14 grain, but only tested 20/30 for 'show' :).

The R10 are much better in weight. I have half a tin off those that was with the gun when I got it. The difference in here was within 0.1grain.
So I see the price difference in these.

So after the test I will get 10/15 cans and will use them when I focus on scores (training or match).
And the cheap ones I can use when I am working on stance/grip or other technical thing and not bother about the numbers.

I know I am not good enough for the difference ... but why would I not use the best pellets for my gun. There will never be any doubt a score could have been better because the pellets.
Rover

Post by Rover »

"I know I am not good enough for the difference ... but why would I not use the best pellets for my gun. There will never be any doubt a score could have been better because the pellets."

True! Useless but true.

I used RWS Basic to shoot a thirty shot group just a hair larger (outside diameter) than the X-ring.

Once you have paid the company to test pellets for you, then you must buy all the pellets they have from that lot number. When you run out of these, you must do the whole thing over again. Nothing matters (not brand, not weight, not diameter), but repeating the test and buying a particular lot.

Many on this site think you can buy points.
emre-nur

Post by emre-nur »

Rover wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:33 am
Many on this site think you can buy points.
I guess, you can buy points but not in sufficient amounts.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

GarField000 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:27 am <snip>
I know I am not good enough for the difference ... but why would I not use the best pellets for my gun. There will never be any doubt a score could have been better because the pellets.
You are spending a lot of time & money chasing an immeasurable improvement in your scores. Unless you are shooting 570 or above, you would be much better off investing in things that will make a significant difference in your shooting.

The question is: Would you shoot measurably better if you spent the time required chasing perfect pellets by training instead? If you are training carefully (as opposed to just putting lead downrange), the answer is yes.

Would you shoot measurably better if you spent the money on proper shooting glasses, an electronic trainer, or the the MEC book (as examples). Again, the answer is yes.
GarField000

Post by GarField000 »

Time is no money ...time I don't care.
Money ... yes it cost a bit money ... but not much. 5 euro for cheap ones, 13 for perfect ones. If I buy 20 tins it's 160 euro more.
I spend this amount of money every year on lost golf balls, or per month on my energy bill because I have reptiles that need heat.
Hobbies can cost money ......

I started training with a Grade A trainer (not sure how it's in the US).
We are working from the beginning ... stance, balance ... I bought shoes for this, I bought shooting glasses ....
If I have the pellet that fits best it's just me that needs improving with training / technics .......
During wednesday training we do not shoot scores .. we training technics. One part at a time.

So it's not a case off one or the other ... I try to learn as much as possible and have training with a trainer once a week.
I just want to elminate everything else :) ...

Well .. maybe i am going to deep in it ..... but that's me :)
Green_Canoe

Post by Green_Canoe »

I would bet money that your score will be statistically the same weather you use your specially selected pellets, the RWS basics Rover recommends, or the H&N Sports I use.
GarField000

Post by GarField000 »

I will not take that bet becuase you are right :).
Sometimes I would gain a point because the 8.9 is a 9, and sometimes I will lose a point because the 9 is a 8,9 ....

But it will give me peace of mind and that's more important ....
PirateJohn

Post by PirateJohn »

Green_Canoe wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:04 pm I would bet money that your score will be statistically the same weather you use your specially selected pellets, the RWS basics Rover recommends, or the H&N Sports I use.
I strictly use the "whatever Amazon is selling cheap" pellets
nmondal

Post by nmondal »

PirateJohn wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:08 pm I strictly use the "whatever Amazon is selling cheap" pellets
That would create a problem for you once you consistently start crossing 94+.
At least you should use:
10 M Air pistol : Walther LP 500 Basic | Earlier Hammerli AP 20 Pro.
Newbie shooting questions : http://targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=63530
PirateJohn

Post by PirateJohn »

nmondal wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:43 am
PirateJohn wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:08 pm I strictly use the "whatever Amazon is selling cheap" pellets
I'm still around 88 or 89. I think my next big purchase will be a basic SCATT. With that, I won't use a whole lot of pellets anyway, except when I want to shoot a match.
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

Green_Canoe wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:04 pm I would bet money that your score will be statistically the same weather you use your specially selected pellets, the RWS basics Rover recommends, or the H&N Sports I use.
H&N Sport are my daily choice. Excellent quality and very affordable.
"No mud; no Lotus."-- Thich Nhat Hanh
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

PirateJohn wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:00 am
nmondal wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:43 am
I'm still around 88 or 89. I think my next big purchase will be a basic SCATT. With that, I won't use a whole lot of pellets anyway, except when I want to shoot a match.
I always try to dry fire with the most expensive pellets I can find...
(just to annoy Rover)
Agt. Smith

Post by Agt. Smith »

Gwhite wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:54 pm I always try to dry fire with the most expensive pellets I can find...
(just to annoy Rover)
And here I thought I invented that.......
GarField000

Post by GarField000 »

Yesterday I went to a shooting service and we took my gun and put it in a bank.
We tested many different matchbrands (RWS R10 Match pistol, JSB, Qiang Yuan) ... different sizes, different weights.
I came home with a box off RWS R10 Match Rifle. After 5 shots there was one round hole ....

Today preperation for my first District championship (3th match in all).
I shot a new high score with 524 and with NO 6. I usualy have 4 to 6 sixes and sometimes one worse.

The funny part is ... I start very shaky .... and the further I get in the round the better it gets.
Last 2 cards where 48.

Wish I could do that every time :D hahahaha