Better groups on blank target

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
porkchop

Re: Better groups on blank target

Post by porkchop »

Sorry guys, I was trying to find out if Jon Eulette uses a center hold, and if his trigger 1st stage is light. I don't know how to do the quote and partial quotes most guys here use with the tan color so they stand out.
Stan
Agt. Smith

Post by Agt. Smith »

David M wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:05 pm I will say it again, vertical stringing is usually trying to hold too close to the black.
Most average shooters have a 6 o'clock hold rather than sub-6.
Try increasing the light gaps to equal gaps.
I hate to be the shining example of bad form - but do you mean like this ??!!

I agree with this diagnosis. I've been using 6 o'clock hold for years (center fire) - making the transition from 6 to sub-6 will take some doing I suspect.

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Particularly with a sub-6 hold, if you lose focus on the front sight, the pistol will typically drift up a bit, giving you high shots like that. If you can't call them, that pretty much verifies that you aren't staying focused on the front sight.
pbrejsa

Post by pbrejsa »

Many things will help to objectively reveal the Scatt shooting simulator. Objectively evaluates shooting at a target, on white paper, including a comparison of results when aiming at an area below six and at the total center of the target, at the lower edge of the target and so on. Evaluate the stability, shaking and stability of the pistol, changes to the handle, it is possible to objectively compare different weapons. It quickly detects aiming errors or at which stage of the shot the biggest error occurs. It will help to quickly find the best or optimal shooting position for the entire duration of the shooting competition, including the preparation time and sighting time. The Scatt does not replace the shooting coach, but it is a quick way to detect mistakes and effectively achieve the best personal results, much better than drying on a blank wall. It will not even replace a real shooting competition. It can be a good tool on the way to becoming a good shooter.
pbrejsa

Post by pbrejsa »

The Scatt. Unfortunately, it will tell you and reveal your shooting individual limits. This can be quite depressing for some sport shooting adepts, but sometimes it can also be a challenge.
JamesHH

Post by JamesHH »

Shooting better on a blank target than a real one is very normal, a blank target lets you focus mostly on the sights, an actual target distracts you into focusing on the relationship between the front sight and the target which matters about 100x less.

Drifting up is often because you're putting the front sight too close to the target. As the front sight wanders into the black you get a mirage/optical illusion in which it appears that there's still a gap between the two when in fact you're well into the black.
pbrejsa

Post by pbrejsa »

Unfortunately, real shooting is not shooting at an empty target or a white wall. You have to learn that perfectly aligned sights are a direct extension of your hand and at the same time you must not disturb their coincidence by the necessary action of your finger on the trigger, while you have to keep the sights in the aiming zone. The time should not exceed 10 to 12 seconds. If the position of the aiming zone will suit you in white under a black apple or in the middle of the target you should try. You should then stick to the tested positions. Each person has an individually determined size of the aiming zone. After a certain workout, the size corresponding to a nine circle is achievable for most people. The size of the zone between the nine and ten circle is reserved for talents from nature and it is very difficult to reduce the size of the intentional area through strenuous training. The second important task is to achieve independent movement of the finger on the trigger from the activity of the other fingers of the hand. We must constantly overcome and practice this pitfall that nature itself has given us. The most important thing is to keep maximum attention during the shot on the sights, which are located in the intended area. If the movements are too fast and the position outside the aiming zone, a good hit is unlikely. Even this probability of impact can be measured objectively by the Scatt device. The sports shooting range is a sport and entertainment. Shooting is the ultimate sport, ie a top shooter should be prepared by comprehensive training physically and mentally. Which, above all, should not be overloading, but fun and pleasure that will last us for many years.
Rover

Post by Rover »

porkchop wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:59 pm Sorry guys, I was trying to find out if Jon Eulette uses a center hold, and if his trigger 1st stage is light. I don't know how to do the quote and partial quotes most guys here use with the tan color so they stand out.
Stan
Find the quote you want and hit the " on the post.

As for Jon Eulette (hey, Jon, I shot next to you at the Desert Midwinter a few years back), just send him a PM and ask.
porkchop

Post by porkchop »

Thanks Rover, I'll do that.
Stan
pbrejsa

Post by pbrejsa »

Ade C

Post by Ade C »

Gwhite wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:10 pm Having a small orange chalk mark on the back of your front sight can also help you stayed focused there. Once your brain gets used to it, rub it off & put on a new one.
This seems to have helped a little.
I don't seem to have ruined my front sight either. Who'd have thought?
lalka686

Post by lalka686 »

Every one of my pistol front sights (except for revolver and 1911 .45acp) I have marked with small silver dot with Sharpie to focus on. I usually get my focus there in three steps, hair on my arm, rear sight and silver dot on front sight. If the lighting is poor, I don't see the dot, just a black front sight.
If possible, the front sight in your view should be same width as the black bullseye of the target, as in the pictures posted by David.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

I agree with this diagnosis. I've been using 6 o'clock hold for years (center fire) - making the transition from 6 to sub-6 will take some doing I suspect.
Not if you accept that this is excellent advice....blind faith and it will happen after your first five shots. The only obstacle in adopting helpful advice is us.