Red dot on a K-58

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Bob

Red dot on a K-58

Post by Bob »

Has anyone mounted a scope or a red dot on a Pardini K-58. If so what kind of mount did you use. I've a line on a nice used K-58 but with my eyes I can't use iron sights. Thanks
rilenfeld-at-msn.com.47674.0
Bill177

Re: Red dot on a K-58 - read it all

Post by Bill177 »

I have played with red-dot sights on several good air pistols - including the IZH-46M and the TAU-7.
I was never satisified with the results on the IZH. It was already a front heavy gun, and the red-dot and scope rail just made it all the more so.
I mounted a rail on a barrel weight on the TAU-7 and use a very light weight red-dot from Daisy on it. It is a good match and was a cheap experiment. Of course a Doctor would be better.
I shoot a K60 with iron sights for real paper punching and have not tried to manufacture a mount for it. If I was to try, I think I'd go for a split type mount such as Crosman uses on their barrels.
A few minutes later: Just happens that I have a set of these mounts - and they do fit. They are the mounts that are used on the Crosman 2250B air rifle. Split with an allen screw for tightnening. You can order them from Crosman at their 1-800 number.
Sure would be easier on my eyes than the iris and glasses I currently wear.
This is probably a sacrilege - talking of doing this to a Pardini.
bill177-at-airguninfo.com.47678.47674
Bill177

Re: Red dot on a K-58 - read it all

Post by Bill177 »

Just finished putting about 50 pellets through the K60 with the cheap red-dot on it. Fun yes! Then I took the mounts and sight off and shot a few pellets using the iron sights. Shooting is no better - but it sure is a lot easier. Does that mean more fun?
It is nice not to have to use the iris and specially cut shooting glasses when shooting with the red-dot. However, I think that the red-dot sight itself leaves something to be desired. A better sight would no doubt be a great improvement.
I have rifle size red-dots, but they would make the K60 very nose heavy.
Perhaps someone has an idea for a red dot in the quality/price range somewhere in between the cheap imports from China and a true Doctor.
As we age, I think red-dots deserve exploration. I also believe ISSF should address red-dots. But, alas - how's the story go about dinosours?

billclarke-at-w2blc.com.47681.47678
GaryN

red-dot

Post by GaryN »

Well Don Nygord mentioned same.
But I agree, for us guys with older eyes, a red-dot would be a lot easier to shoot with. Even though it isn't ISSF legal, it would help the casual home shooting, and keep us shooting longer. It would be a pitty to have to stop shooting because we can't handle the iron sights.
Unfortunately most APs are not made for a red-dot, so mounting one will be a problem. Will the cocking arm clear the sight. And putting it on the barrel only puts more weight in front of the hand making it even more muzzle heavy. It would really be nice if an AP had a removable rear sight, with a weaver base that could be screwed in, to mount a red dot sight.
Gary
Bill177

Re: red-dot

Post by Bill177 »

Due to the dimensions of the small (non-tube) red-dots, I don't see how one could be mounted as an alternative to a rear sight - they are too long.
The el-cheapo mounts I mentioned in the above post and the equally el-cheapo red-dot I have been experimenting with weigh in at 2.1 oz (61 g) which isn't very much to add to the front of the gun (immediately foward of the trigger).
I think the minimal change to balance is manageable. Use of a heavy red-dot would not be.
So far as rules: well, the red-dot is only forbidden in ISSF type competition. Lots of other forms of competition have no such limitation.
I'd like to find a better mount and red-dot to experiment with. Any ideas out there?
bill177-at-airguninfo.com.47688.47683
TCooper

Re: red-dot

Post by TCooper »

The Tasco Optima 2000 weighs only 1/2oz and has a 4moa dot. It is now sold by JS Enterprises. The price is $205USd and you need a $40 Weaver mount/adapter.
Look here:
SIGHT = http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/814846

MOUNT = http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/260237

Later,
Todd
GaryN

Tasco

Post by GaryN »

Todd
Do you know if they fixed the windage/elevation adjustments? I read reports of the Tasco adjustments being rather flaky. Although if the price is close, the Doctor sight might be the better option.
gary
Bob

Re: Tasco

Post by Bob »

: Todd
: Do you know if they fixed the windage/elevation adjustments? I read reports of the Tasco adjustments being rather flaky. Although if the price is close, the Doctor sight might be the better option.
: gary

rilenfeld-at-msn.com.47696.47695
Bob

Post by Bob »

I've got a red dot . A leupold gilmore lg-1,, love it. What I need is a mount to put it on a Pardini K-58 that I have been looking at. That is what I am asking about.

rilenfeld-at-msn.com.47697.47696
TCooper

Post by TCooper »

Gary,
I know absolutely nothing about the Optima 2000 or the new JP Enterprises sight. I was just pointing out a very light weight dot sight for Bill to look at. I definitely would like to hear any good or bad comments about this sight.
I have a Millet SP-1 red dot and an old Interaims ONEV30 red dot. The SP-1 has a 3moa dot size. The Interaims seems to have about a 4moa. I don't have any complaints with either.
You can see a bit of info on the JP site at
http://www.jprifles.com/instructions/JPoint.html
Later,
Todd
Jim P.

Did you try it with the iris and glasses

Post by Jim P. »

Bill,
You said:
: It is nice not to have to use the iris and specially cut shooting glasses when shooting with the red-dot.
I have a red dot (Bushnell Holosight) on my IZH-35 (actually I put it way out on the end to increase barrel heaviness) And it is only a dot when I wear my iris and shooting glasses. The rest of the time I would call it a "red comet" sight.
You might try it.
Jim P.