Opening up my LP5

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
RodJ

Opening up my LP5

Post by RodJ »

I searched as much as I could but couldn’t find an answer, I apologize if this has been addressed before. Are there any special tools or tricks to opening up an LP5?

Mine is old and is still CO2 (which I actually like). But the green o ring seal on the male connection for the cylinder gave up the ghost. Clearly old and needed replacing. Not a problem. But I’m thinking about tearing into the rest of the gun and replacing any other seals. Other option is to send it to Pilkguns but I’m not terribly afraid of taking mechanical devices apart and getting them back together. I like finding out how things work. Fishing reels, firearms, etc.

Downside of DIY is there’s not a lot of info on the LP5 CO2 pistols. A fellow could get lost inside there! Pilkguns cost is not excessive, so if it is better to do that I will.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Marc Orvin

Re: Opening up my LP5

Post by Marc Orvin »

Send it to Scott. Always the best option. Then you know it is going to work!!
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

If it's OK otherwise, I'd replace that O-ring & keep shooting. They get a lot more wear & tear than any of the other O-rings, and they are designed to be easy to replace.

Send it to Scott when it it really needs it.
RodJ

Post by RodJ »

Gracias amigos! A kit full of 270 assorted green HNBR o-rings is on its way. I’ll send it off to Scott and Buck when it really needs it. Btw, Jennifer at Pilk and I are becoming great telephone friends.

If anyone needs 269 o-rings, please advise.
spektr

Post by spektr »

In all seriousness. Get the correct grease that Scott recommends AND use it.
Get the dimensions of all Orings,, and McMaster Carr part numbers.
This virtually gaurantees there will be no issues because Murphy hates preparedness.
I would buy 2 of any specific gun seals and salt them away.
Lastly, do not pre-emptively replace things. Wait until it fails then fix it.
its not that hard as long as you work gently and leave no scratches behind.
Almost 100% of Co2 gun issues are with orings depolymerizing with age.
I REALLT believe in the old phrase, dont dick with working stuff.
RodJ

Post by RodJ »

spektr wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:50 pm In all seriousness. Get the correct grease that Scott recommends AND use it.
Get the dimensions of all Orings,, and McMaster Carr part numbers.
This virtually gaurantees there will be no issues because Murphy hates preparedness.
I would buy 2 of any specific gun seals and salt them away.
Lastly, do not pre-emptively replace things. Wait until it fails then fix it.
its not that hard as long as you work gently and leave no scratches behind.
Almost 100% of Co2 gun issues are with orings depolymerizing with age.
I REALLT believe in the old phrase, dont dick with working stuff.
Good advice that I will take to heart on all counts. Problem on salting away o rings, I have no idea on the dimensions. But I will have 269 remaining of various sizes! Maybe those will ward off the evil spirits for a while. 😬
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

The size of the various Steyr O-rings isn't a deep secret. I think it's in the parts list. The one the cylinder mates with is 4x1.5mm. HOWEVER, because the LP5 is a CO2 pistol, make sure you get polyurethane O-rings. The regular black nitrile O-rings will absorb CO2, and will get damaged when you unscrew the cylinders after the O-ring has been exposed to high pressure CO2 for a while. Polyurethane is also more abrasion resistant than nitrile, and will hold up better to screwing the cylinders on & off.

There is no standard color coding for O-ring materials, so just because they are green doesn't mean they are polyurethane.
spektr

Post by spektr »

[/quote]

Good advice that I will take to heart on all counts. Problem on salting away o rings, I have no idea on the dimensions. But I will have 269 remaining of various sizes! Maybe those will ward off the evil spirits for a while. 😬
[/quote]

I dont worry about the o rings. They are and will be available at many different places. The gun specific seals are a bit of a different story. For my Walther CO2 guns, I bought the specific molded seals, 2 sets were 40 bucks, I have 2 different Walthers so its no big burden to do that.... Feinwerkbau is tremendous in maintaining a parts stream for old guns, even at that, I threw 20 bucks at spare seals, again its not a big deal. My Skanaker is a different story, I bought the last seal set I could find and its in line at a shop for a rebuild since its so damn wierd...

ANYHOW, CO2 guns are so economical, and quite frankly pretty simple, that having a few spares laying around is a great idea. That said, its nothing like trying to stay ahead of a vintage Indian Motorcycle.......
RodJ

Post by RodJ »

Well, Taa Daaaa! O rings arrived and the “nipple” o ring went on and the gun fires! Wuhoo!

Spektr - thanks I will see if Pilk will sell me whatever seals may go into an LP5 then store them in dark, climate controlled, N2 purged, underground salt dome bunker. Seriously thanks for the tip. Even if I decide to use Pilkguns, I won’t worry about them being temporarily out of stock.

To your point, I LOVE the CO2 set up so far. It was pure luck that I was able to find a fill adaptor (Thank you Buck!). 20# CO2 bottle wasn’t exactly cheap but the fill is super cheap, and I really appreciate the lower pressure system. Filling cylinders is a snap.

I can’t find a reason to even consider converting, at least for my needs as far as I can tell.
RodJ

Post by RodJ »

spektr wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:06 pm
That said, its nothing like trying to stay ahead of a vintage Indian Motorcycle.......
[/quote]

Uh, roger that. I had a somewhat “vintage” bmw R75 years ago that was my only transportation for five + years in Houston (rain, traffic - but no snow thank God)… parts were always used parts off salvage bikes. Those were good days. Ate a lot of beans and salads but damn good days.

Keep that scooter “rubber side” down. :-)