Low cost but good club rifles for a shooting program

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Len

Low cost but good club rifles for a shooting program

Post by Len »

I'm looking for some low cost but "decent" basic marksmanship rifles for our club shooting program. Most of the participents are 14+ years old and seem to "fit" into adult size sporter rifles.
I need an idea on slightly better guns than $125 sporter rifles for general and fundemental marksmanship programs. Some of the kids would like to qualify for various NRA rankings under different classifications (smallbore, light rifle).
Obviously a single shot is great, 5 round clip guns would be nice also. I'm trying to get 5 of a particular model.
I bought 5 romanian trainers (1973) and they work well for the money ($47 per gun) but the triggers are limiting to say the least.
Thank You
Jim P.

Not the Savage 900T

Post by Jim P. »

I only have a little bit to add, but if you are offered some 900T Savage "Target" rifles...pass. Looks like a target rifle but the trigger stinks. And not adjustable stock. (mine was purchased new in 1999.) Other than that it is fine.
It would seem to me that for "general and fundemental marksmanship" the Romanian trainers would do very well.
I see in shotgun news that there is a TOZ - 78 -01 available at $139 (www.ssmedwi.com) Personally I don't know anything about it other than their description of this "Match" rifle..but for "general and fundemental marksmanship" looks like it might do.
Actual Competitive rifles are going to start a lot higher...You get a promising student's parents to spring for that.
Just my opinion.
Jim P

Oto Schwab

Re: Not the Savage 900T

Post by Oto Schwab »

Have you considered the Remington 513T offered by the DCM for $100.00? These are a good entry level rifle. FWIW

kylani.usmcgunner-at-rcn.com.47367.47363
Len

Do you have a link?

Post by Len »

Or a contact I could call?
Bill Poole

Re: Low cost but good club rifles for a shooting program

Post by Bill Poole »

: I'm looking for some low cost but "decent" basic marksmanship rifles for our club
CMP is http://www.odcmp.com/, but the website says the 513T's are sold out. They still have $600 Kimbers.
CMP sold a lot of Rem 541's about 3 or 4 years ago, if you can find 4 on the surplus market, I can help u with the 5th.they will run 2X to 3X your target cost tho.
Try http://www.mtguns.com Mac Tilton often has quality used (or unused) target rifles in stock and might be able to fix you up with 5 identical.
good shooting
Poole
http://arizona.rifleshooting.com/
bill-at-poole.com.47374.47354
Tom

Post by Tom »

The Marlin 2000L and Savage 900TR have both been discontinued. EAA will be marketing the Russian made CM2 in March. This should be an excellent basic rifle with an adjustable trigger and LOP. Their web site is www.eaacorp.com.
: I'm looking for some low cost but "decent" basic marksmanship rifles for our club shooting program. Most of the participents are 14+ years old and seem to "fit" into adult size sporter rifles.
: I need an idea on slightly better guns than $125 sporter rifles for general and fundemental marksmanship programs. Some of the kids would like to qualify for various NRA rankings under different classifications (smallbore, light rifle).
: Obviously a single shot is great, 5 round clip guns would be nice also. I'm trying to get 5 of a particular model.
: I bought 5 romanian trainers (1973) and they work well for the money ($47 per gun) but the triggers are limiting to say the least.
: Thank You

sullyho2000-at-yahoo.com.47540.47354
Marty

Post by Marty »

If your area has "Friends of the NRA" events, you can apply for a grant to help purchase your rifles. The NRA feeds a lot of the profits back into the community that generates the profit and they like to get Junior programs started. Our club runs a Jr Smallbore program and have benefited from some NRA grants over the years.
Last year we averaged about 20 kids each Jr. shoot day. We have 1451's and some of the old Remington's.
dmsdavis-at-bellsouth.net.47577.47354