Stand tall or "sag" for better bone to bone contact?

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

mako

Stand tall or "sag" for better bone to bone contact?

Post by mako »

Opinions ... is it better to stand tall at the line ... using muscle to maintain position ... or is it better to sort of "sag" so that one has good bone on bone rigidity ...
makofoto-at-earthlink.net.47501.0
Avianna

Re: Stand tall or "sag" for better bone to bone contact?

Post by Avianna »

I like to, I wouldn't say sag, but settle into my position. Not sure about the bone to bone contact bit, but I feel like I am using less muscles to keep still when I settle in. If I stand tall, then I am using my muscles to force myself into an erect position, and that's bad, no? cause muscles get tired etc etc...
: Opinions ... is it better to stand tall at the line ... using muscle to maintain position ... or is it better to sort of "sag" so that one has good bone on bone rigidity ...

Bob LeDoux

Post by Bob LeDoux »

I like this piece from Anatoliy Piddubnyy in the Shooter's Omnibus:
We can conclude that the model for posture is not fundamental in attaining good results. The important thing is the shooter’s ability to attain good stability in the chosen posture, with optimal muscular tension. Optimal, in this case, does not mean economical in the sense of energy consumption. Muscular tone must guarantee firm stability. For most shooters, this problem can be solved only with significant muscular tension. For the firm stabilization of the ankles, legs and waist, in other words, to create a basis for stability,
I can recommend a very simple but effective method: when you start to raise the pistol, raise yourself slightly on your toes and then lower yourself without leaning back. This way you are creating the necessary muscular tension in your feet, legs and waist. It is better to keep the feet parallel.

akihmsa

Muscular Tension in the Waist???Re: Stand tall or "sag" for

Post by akihmsa »

Once you cover your valuable waist muscles with a good high quality amount of insulation (some might call this valuable insulation fat!) can you tell if they are under tension or not ;~) : I like this piece from Anatoliy Piddubnyy in the Shooter's Omnibus:
: We can conclude that the model for posture is not fundamental in attaining good results. The important thing is the shooter’s ability to attain good stability in the chosen posture, with optimal muscular tension. Optimal, in this case, does not mean economical in the sense of energy consumption. Muscular tone must guarantee firm stability. For most shooters, this problem can be solved only with significant muscular tension. For the firm stabilization of the ankles, legs and waist, in other words, to create a basis for stability,
: I can recommend a very simple but effective method: when you start to raise the pistol, raise yourself slightly on your toes and then lower yourself without leaning back. This way you are creating the necessary muscular tension in your feet, legs and waist. It is better to keep the feet parallel.

Hnak Hannah

Post by Hnak Hannah »

: Opinions ... is it better to stand tall at the line ... using muscle to maintain position ... or is it better to sort of "sag" so that one has good bone on bone rigidity ...
: Once you cover your valuable waist muscles with a good high quality amount of insulation (some might call this valuable insulation fat!)
Isn't that layer of insulation called "slow fire muscle"?

hankhan-at-hotmail.com.47535.47501
Mike Schroeder

Post by Mike Schroeder »

You don't mention if you are discussing standing rifle or pistol. In standing, the only bone to bone is elbow to rib cage. In my case, this fits in well with the insulation comment.
Mike
Wichita KS

mschroeder5-at-cox.net.47548.47501
mako

Pistol ...

Post by mako »

: : Opinions ... is it better to stand tall at the line ... using muscle to maintain position ... or is it better to sort of "sag" so that one has good bone on bone rigidity ...
: You don't mention if you are discussing standing rifle or pistol. In standing, the only bone to bone is elbow to rib cage. In my case, this fits in well with the insulation comment.
: Mike
: Wichita KS

Jim

Post by Jim »

I was taught recently to : slightly push the hips forward to get the centre of balance more towards the ball of the foot (feet), thereby not having weight on the heels; and when lowering the pistol into the aiming area allowing the upper body to sag or slump naturally (e.g. bringing the shoulders down towards the hips)-that way the muscles are more relaxed and upper body stable. If the muscles are tense through holding the body very upright, there is a tendancy for the body to relax (move)subconsciouly as or after the shot breaks. The key is a relaxed body with no tension.

jim.cruise-at-epa.qld.gov.au.47571.47501