IZH-35M failure to feed

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Norm J

IZH-35M failure to feed

Post by Norm J »

Howdy,
Just got a brand new EAA Baikal IZH-35M .22 LR target pistol. Love it ... except that after 540 rounds, I have had about 30 failures to feed. It is much more pronounced with Winch T22 ammo, with about 2 rounds per clip failing to feed (!). Other ammo still fails, but less frequently and more randomly.
I have cleaned it thoroughly.
Any ideas?
Norm
normj1969-at-yahoo.com.47499.0
Rob

Re: IZH-35M failure to feed

Post by Rob »

:Clean out the magizines with a Q-tip and lightly oil them when finished. You did not mention what the other ammo was. My IZH always liked lower velocity ammo like Eley, RWS and Russian Junior Brass. The Russian stuff is NLA and was the best ammo for my pistol.
rdnault851-at-msn.com.47502.47499
Norm J

Post by Norm J »

: :Clean out the magizines with a Q-tip and lightly oil them when finished. You did not mention what the other ammo was.
Thanks, Rob ... other ammo was CCI SV, PMC Scoremaster and some crappy hi-vel hollow point stuff.
normj1969-at-yahoo.com.47504.47502
Len

Aguila and RWS

Post by Len »

Works best in mine. I use the subsonics solid point ammo and find it works pretty darn good.
It also like Eley practice.
TJ

Post by TJ »

Forget the ammo! That aint the problem!
I had the same problem and the magazine spring is the problem. It is way too light.
Punch out the pin in the magazine. Then with a pair of pliers or a screwdriver work the bottom plastic plate loose. It is a problem because they countersink the pin hole. But with a little force you can get the plastic bottom plate out. Dont worry about hurting the magazine, it is double walled steel and is stout.
Then make note of how the follower comes out and pull out the spring and stretch it to 3x the length of the magazine. Then stuff it back in and put the bottom plate back on and put the pin back in.
It is a pain but it will fix your problem.
Now you will need a new thumb to load the rounds but they will feed reliably.
I have not had but one or two failure to feeds since I did this to my magazines and I have close to 3000 rounds thru my gun.

: Howdy,
: Just got a brand new EAA Baikal IZH-35M .22 LR target pistol. Love it ... except that after 540 rounds, I have had about 30 failures to feed. It is much more pronounced with Winch T22 ammo, with about 2 rounds per clip failing to feed (!). Other ammo still fails, but less frequently and more randomly.
: I have cleaned it thoroughly.
: Any ideas?
: Norm

shootingsports-at-ev1.net.47526.47499
Norm J

Post by Norm J »

: Forget the ammo! That aint the problem!
TJ - anyone making aftermarket magazines?
normj1969-at-yahoo.com.47528.47526
TJ

Post by TJ »

No aftermarket that I am aware of. The magazines are just fine. They only need the spring adjusted. They are so stout they will probably outlast the gun.
Once you get it adjusted you will be thrilled with the gun. It is a great shooter. It eats any ammo I feed it and will shoot HV as well as sub sonic and target loads with no problem. I use mine for BE and metal plates and like it so much I am getting another one this year.
BTW I have six mags and they all required the same fix.
: : Forget the ammo! That aint the problem!
: TJ - anyone making aftermarket magazines?

shootingsports-at-ev1.net.47533.47528
Norm J

Post by Norm J »

cool, thanks. will give it a shot this week
normj1969-at-yahoo.com.47536.47533
Aleks

Post by Aleks »

Regarding new magazines: Champion choice as well as EAA Corp. sell them for $30-35.
Also do not forget that "Whalter KSP" is the same gun as IZH35 and their magazines will fit both.
TJ

Post by TJ »

Yes there are other sellers, but they all come from the same place. There are no other manufacturers.
: Regarding new magazines: Champion choice as well as EAA Corp. sell them for $30-35.
: Also do not forget that "Whalter KSP" is the same gun as IZH35 and their magazines will fit both.

shootingsports-at-ev1.net.47565.47564
Jay V

Post by Jay V »

: Regarding new magazines: Champion choice as well as EAA Corp. sell them for $30-35.
: Also do not forget that "Walther KSP" is the same gun as IZH35 and their magazines will fit both.

When buying additional magazines for the IZH or Walther, keep in mind that the magazines you get may not just drop in and work correctly. They include a note that says you may need to adjust the area where the magazine is held by the latch or the magazine will not fully engage.
Not a big deal, just something to check with a new magazine.

Jay V
IL

Jay

jverg-at-att.net.47579.47564
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

: Howdy,
: Just got a brand new EAA Baikal IZH-35M .22 LR target pistol. Love it ... except that after 540 rounds, I have had about 30 failures to feed. It is much more pronounced with Winch T22 ammo, with about 2 rounds per clip failing to feed (!). Other ammo still fails, but less frequently and more randomly.
: I have cleaned it thoroughly.
: Any ideas?
: Norm

Norm -
I have 2 IZH-35Ms... one of them will feed anything no problem. The one one is very, very finicky (sp?) - the only ammo that one seems to like is CCI Std Velocity. Also, I have noticed that when I clean it really good it jams more than any other time. After about 500 rounds without so much as a drop of oil it feeds the best.
- Calvin