How to get started

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Scott

How to get started

Post by Scott »

I live in the Atlanta area, and am interested in learning about the sport of Olympic style shooting (mostly for me, but also for my son [13 yrs] and/or daughter [11 yrs]). My thoughts are to attend a local competition or shooting range, and see where the interest takes me (or us). I have no 10M shooting equipment at this time (but I do have a nice and accurate AirArms TX200 field target air rifle which I love to shoot, and my son enjoys shooting as well). I also thought about purchasing a moderately priced, used PCP air pistol or rifle to shoot at home as well, but haven't done enough research yet on equipment yet.
I'm aware of the Wolf Creek Shoot Facility, but am not sure of its status. Any other ideas on how or where to start in the Atlanta area?
Scott
sesparks@bellsouth.net
sesparks-at-bellsouth.net.47475.0
Jay V

Re: How to get started

Post by Jay V »

: I live in the Atlanta area, and am interested in learning about the sport of Olympic style shooting (mostly for me, but also for my son [13 yrs] and/or daughter [11 yrs]). My thoughts are to attend a local competition or shooting range, and see where the interest takes me (or us). I have no 10M shooting equipment at this time (but I do have a nice and accurate AirArms TX200 field target air rifle which I love to shoot, and my son enjoys shooting as well). I also thought about purchasing a moderately priced, used PCP air pistol or rifle to shoot at home as well, but haven't done enough research yet on equipment yet.
: I'm aware of the Wolf Creek Shoot Facility, but am not sure of its status. Any other ideas on how or where to start in the Atlanta area?

Hi Scott,
You could check the NRA and USA Shooting web sites for clubs in your area, or phone them.
For your children, you should be able to easily find a junior 3P club - Georgia has the most junior shooting programs of any state. The best way to get them started is in junior 3P sporter-class competition. Sporter limits special shooting equipment and allows only approved (less expensive) air rifles. If you like your AA200, you will most likely want to look into the Daisy Valiant XS-40. It is made by CZ, and uses the same basic receiver.
Hopefully Wolf Creek (Tom Lowe) will reopen shortly.

Jay Vergenz
AIAC
IL
www.aiac-airguns.org

jverg-at-att.net.47511.47475
Scott

Post by Scott »

: : I live in the Atlanta area, and am interested in learning about the sport of Olympic style shooting (mostly for me, but also for my son [13 yrs] and/or daughter [11 yrs]). My thoughts are to attend a local competition or shooting range, and see where the interest takes me (or us). I have no 10M shooting equipment at this time (but I do have a nice and accurate AirArms TX200 field target air rifle which I love to shoot, and my son enjoys shooting as well). I also thought about purchasing a moderately priced, used PCP air pistol or rifle to shoot at home as well, but haven't done enough research yet on equipment yet.
: : I'm aware of the Wolf Creek Shoot Facility, but am not sure of its status. Any other ideas on how or where to start in the Atlanta area?
:
: Hi Scott,
: You could check the NRA and USA Shooting web sites for clubs in your area, or phone them.
: For your children, you should be able to easily find a junior 3P club - Georgia has the most junior shooting programs of any state. The best way to get them started is in junior 3P sporter-class competition. Sporter limits special shooting equipment and allows only approved (less expensive) air rifles. If you like your AA200, you will most likely want to look into the Daisy Valiant XS-40. It is made by CZ, and uses the same basic receiver.
: Hopefully Wolf Creek (Tom Lowe) will reopen shortly.
:
: Jay Vergenz
: AIAC
: IL
: www.aiac-airguns.org

sesparks-at-bellsouth.net.47523.47511
Scott

Post by Scott »

: : : I live in the Atlanta area, and am interested in learning about the sport of Olympic style shooting (mostly for me, but also for my son [13 yrs] and/or daughter [11 yrs]). My thoughts are to attend a local competition or shooting range, and see where the interest takes me (or us). I have no 10M shooting equipment at this time (but I do have a nice and accurate AirArms TX200 field target air rifle which I love to shoot, and my son enjoys shooting as well). I also thought about purchasing a moderately priced, used PCP air pistol or rifle to shoot at home as well, but haven't done enough research yet on equipment yet.
: : : I'm aware of the Wolf Creek Shoot Facility, but am not sure of its status. Any other ideas on how or where to start in the Atlanta area?
: :
: : Hi Scott,
: : You could check the NRA and USA Shooting web sites for clubs in your area, or phone them.
: : For your children, you should be able to easily find a junior 3P club - Georgia has the most junior shooting programs of any state. The best way to get them started is in junior 3P sporter-class competition. Sporter limits special shooting equipment and allows only approved (less expensive) air rifles. If you like your AA200, you will most likely want to look into the Daisy Valiant XS-40. It is made by CZ, and uses the same basic receiver.
: : Hopefully Wolf Creek (Tom Lowe) will reopen shortly.
: :
: : Jay Vergenz
: : AIAC
: : IL
: : www.aiac-airguns.org
Jay, thanks for the info. You and several others have been very helpful. I don't know enough about the sport yet to have a preference for pistol or rifle competition, or which would be more appealing to juniors. I'll look into your suggestion on the junior 3P sporter-class competition and the Daisy Valiant XS-40.
sesparks-at-bellsouth.net.47524.47523